Jean (John) Gaston of France was the first known ancestor of our Gaston family. There has been much speculation regarding his ancestry, ranging from descendancy from the Grand Duke of Tuscany to the possibility that he belonged to the Bourbon family and was a cousin to King Louis XIV of France. Jean Gaston belonged to a Protestant group known as Huguenots. On Apr 13 1598, King Henry IV of France endorsed the Edict of Nantes, which granted rights to the Protestant Huguenots. But the edict was abrogated in 1685 by King Louis XIV, who declared France entirely Catholic again and embarked on a policy of persecuting all Protestants. In the meantime, because of the political and religious climate, at age 40 Jean Gaston had fled with his family to Scotland, and his estate in France was confiscated. His brothers and sisters in France remained Catholics and sent money to him in Scotland until he became established there. Some 25 years later, his three sons fled Scotland for Ireland with their wives, also for religious reasons. Jean died in either Scotland or Ireland. [American Ancestry, Vol V, p. 104]
"That the Gaston family was a French family there is no doubt. As early as 1445, 'two gentlemen' of the name of Gaston, living at or near LaMothe St. Didier, became interested in what were believed to be wonderful cures wrought at the shrine of St. Andrew in that town, especially because one of these Gaston sons was there cured of the disease known as 'St. Anthony's Fire.' In consequence, they devoted their property to the work, and, seven other persons assisting, built a large hospital. The hospitallers soon founded the 'Congregation of Regular Canons of the Order of Anthony,' and one of the Gastons was made Grand Master of the Order. (See McClinton and Strong's "Cyclopaedia of Biblical Literature" (1894), Vol. I, p. 252). The name was common in France afterward. Alphonse Daudet, the noted French novelist, used the name 'Marie Gaston' as a pseudonym." [Anna Reger Gaston, "Gaston Family Lines of Somerset," published in the "Somerset County Historical Quarterly" in New Jersey]
There are numerous Gaston family crests, or coats of arms, pertaining to Gastons of various origins. Burke's "General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales" (Harrison & Sons, 1884) describes the one believed to be of our Gaston lineage as follows: GASTON of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Chequy argent. On gueule. Three escallops in bend or. Crest: an owl sable. Motto: Fama semper vivit.
An excellent resource pertaining to Gaston origins and related information is the website Planet Gaston, found at http://perso.numericable.fr/planetgaston/en/index.html . Some Gaston researchers have attempted to show tenuous royal connections and paint a romanticized picture of the family history, and it is therefore likely that some embellishment of the facts has occurred over the years. The Gaston DNA Project, which affords participants an opportunity to find their common heritage through DNA testing and sharing of information, is found at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gaston
This is a genealogy of the descendants of this Jean (John) Gaston, with particular emphasis on those branches of the family tree closest to the principal compilers, Samuel David Gaston and Geneva Gaston Brown. The information presented here was obtained from countless sources over many years of research. Wherever possible, the original source is documented, but the reader can rest assured that even when a source is not specified, the compilers were highly confident of the accuracy of the information before including it in this genealogy. By its very nature, this collection is a work in progress, and additional information regarding the early generations, as well as the current one, will be added as it becomes known. In that vein, the reader is invited to inform us of any errors or additional information for future updates. [Samuel David Gaston (1934-2012) & Geneva Gaston Brown (1926-2001), principal compilers; R. L. Brown, editor]
Agnes: Some researchers identify Agnes as possibly the daughter of Phillip of Navarre, and it is also said that she was accused of witchcraft in 1650 [per "Surnames of Scotland" by George F. Black]. But other researchers have convincingly refuted those assertions, and have further cast doubt that the wife of Jean Gaston was named Agnes at all. Although we side more with the skeptics, we nonetheless report Jean Gaston's wife as Agnes simply out of tradition.,
2. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1642.
3. ii. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1645.
iii. ALEXANDER GASTON, b. 1648 in Scotland, d. in Ireland, immigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3
Alexander Gaston, along with his brothers, John and William, went to County Antrim in Northern Ireland between 1662 and 1668, during the time of the persecution of Protestants in Scotland. Alexander Gaston left many descendants in and around Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland. One of them was a certain Miss Gaston of Killycowan, who was reportedly the great-grandmother of U.S. President Chester A. Arthur. (Exact lineage not specified, has never been determined, and the connection is considered tenuous at best. The genealogy of President Chester A. Arthur can be found at various websites, including our own treatment at www.doddridgecountyroots.com/register/arthur.htm ),3
2. William Gaston (1.Jean1), b. ca 1642 in Scotland, d. in Ireland, immigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3
William Gaston (b. 1642), along with his brothers, John and Alexander, went to County Antrim in Northern Ireland between 1662-1668. He is referred to by genealogists as "the first Irish William Gaston" to distinguish him from brother John's son William and others. He was the father of the Charleston, South Carolina, Gastons who emigrated in the 1760's-1770's from County Antrim, Ireland.,4
He married Unknown.
4. i. (MALE) GASTON.
3. John Gaston (1.Jean1), b. ca 1645 in Scotland, d. in Ireland, emigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3
John Gaston (1645) or his father John (1600) was listed on the hearth-money rate list at Magheragall, Upper Massereene Barony, in the extreme south of County Antrim, Ireland, SW of Belfast. The family later moved a few miles north, as John (1645) had a son William ca 1680 at Carenleigh, Cloughwater, near Ballymena. Clough was a few miles north of Ballymena in Kilconway Barony, and held five Gaston households at time of the 1740 Protestant Householders index of County Antrim.6
He married Unknown.
5. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1680.
6. ii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1687.
7. iii. MARY GASTON b. 1695.
8. iv. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1700.
9. v. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1703.
10. vi. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1714.
4. (Male) Gaston (2.William2, 1.Jean1). He married Unknown, in Ireland.
11. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Feb- 5-1702.
5. William Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1680 in Cloughwater, County Antrim, Ireland, ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, reports birth date as about 1680-90; "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175, reports it as 1685.], d. ca 1770 in Ireland,3,,,
William's brothers, John, Hugh, Joseph and Alexander, arrived in America ca 1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New Jersey. William himself remained in Ireland, although all his children emigrated to America.3
He married3 Olivet Lemon, also known as Mary Lemmon, b. 1688 in Scotland,12, d. 1752.12
Olivet: Name given as Mary Lemmon (sic) in Colonial Families of the United States, Vol III, p. 175.
12. i. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 4-1703.
13. ii. MARY GASTON b. 1712.
14. iii. JANET GASTON b. 1714.
15. iv. MARTHA GASTON b. 1718.
16. v. ROBERT GASTON b. 1720.
17. vi. HUGH GASTON b. 1722.
18. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1727.
19. viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1727/30.
20. ix. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1735.
6. Hugh Gaston, also known as Hugh of Peapack (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1687 in County Antrim, Ireland,, d. Dec-23-1772 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,14,, buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17,14
Hugh, along with his brothers, William, John and Joseph, arrived in America about 1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New Jersey. Hugh obtained land in Bucks County, now Northampton County, Pennsylvania, in 1746 and 1751. Later, he lived in Somerset County, New Jersey, where he died.
He married Jennet Kirkpatrick, ca 1718,15 [probably in Ireland], b. ca 1698,15,14 d. Aug- 1-1777 in New Jersey,,15,14 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17,14
21. i. JOHN GASTON, SR. b. ca 1719.
22. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1720.
23. iii. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1725.
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. in Ireland.
Probably the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but may have been his granddaughter. She was living in Somerset Co, NJ at the time she was married.
24. v. HUGH GASTON, JR. b. 1734.
25. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1737.
vii. REBECCA GASTON b. Dec-12-1739 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 d. Jun-23-1819.
Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and thus the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he may actually have been their grandfather.
She married19 William Logan, b. Mar-18-1736,15 d. Jan- 8-1814,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation Captain.19
viii. JAMES GASTON.
Presumed to be a son of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), as a James Gaston, probably a brother to John Gaston of New Jersey (b. ca 1719), was listed as a subscriber to the fund for building Allentown Church parsonage, 1758, in connection with that of John Gaston of Upper Freehold. However, that James Gaston may actually have been the one baptized on Mar 28 1742 as the eldest son of John Gaston (b. ca 1719).
The name of James Gaston appears as a member of the congregation of Lamington Church, Bedminster Twp, in the years up to 1766. A James Gaston (probably the James b. ca 1750, son of William b. 1720) also took up land in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, Pennsylvania, in 1773. The Name of James Gaston appears on tax lists of Cecil Twp, Washington Co, PA, in 1787 and 1788, and in Rostraver Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA, in 1789.
ix. ALEXANDER GASTON b. in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.23
7. Mary Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1695 in Ireland. She married James Cauldwell, in Ireland,24 b. 1691 in Ireland.24
From "Family Records or Genealogies of the First Settlers of the Passaic Valley," p. 68: "James Cauldwell, with his wife Mary, emigrated from Ireland, about the year 1732, when his son William was six years old, and settled on Long Hill, on lot No. 30, addition of the Elizabethtown lots, which it appears he drew. From tradition among the families, it would seem, and I am led to believe, that James Cauldwell's wife was Mary Gaston, sister of the father of Hugh Gaston, of Peapack. Hugh Gaston was brother of Capt. William Logan's wife, and probably also brother of the wife of Thomas Kirkpatrick, at Liberty Corner. His children called him Uncle Hugh Gaston, and Mr. Gaston, Mrs. Logan and the old Kirkpatrick family claimed kin to the Cauldwell family."
26. i. WILLIAM CAULDWELL b. ca 1726.
8. Joseph Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1700 in County Antrim, Ireland,4,15 d. Apr- -1777 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4,15,22 resided aft abt 1720 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4 resided until abt 1720 in Ireland,4,22 occupation farmer.15
Joseph, along with his brothers, William, John and Hugh, arrived in America about 1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New Jersey. He was a member of Baskingridge Presbyterian Church. He may have been married more than once.4,8,,15
He married22 Margaret ___, 1725/28,15 b. ca 1705,4 d. Aug-31-1795 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,4,15 buried in Jellow Frame Presbyterian Church, Frelinghuysen, Sussex Co, NJ.
Margaret: Margaret Gaston lived with her son, Joseph, after the death of her husband, Joseph Gaston in 1777.15
i. MARTHA GASTON b. 1726 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.27 She married ___ Patterson.
27. ii. MARGARET GASTON b. 1728.
28. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Nov-10-1730.
29. iv. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-28-1732.
30. v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Nov-10-1738.
vi. PRISCILLA GASTON, also known as Purcilla Gaston,27 also known as Prucilla Gaston, b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,27 resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27 She married Daniel McCain, Sep-24-1771 in New Jersey,27,28 (son of James McCain), resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27
31. vii. ANN GASTON.
9. John Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1703 in County Antrim, Ireland,7,28 d. Mar-29-1783 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT.7,28
John Gaston was born in County Antrim, Ireland, probably near Ballymena (or possibly Ballymoney), in 1703 or 1704. Along with brother Alexander (and possibly a third brother who settled in New Jersey), John arrived in America between 1720-26 through the Port of Perth Amboy, settling at Voluntown, Windham County, Connecticut in 1726 or 1727.
He married Janet Thomson, ca 1735 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28,6 b. 1711 in Scotland,28 (daughter of Alexander Thomson and Mary ___), d. Nov- 3-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.,28
32. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-19-1738.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. May- 3-1739 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 [Birth date of Oct 19 1738 has also been reported, but that appears to be his sister Margaret's.], d. 1760,7,28 [Died of disease contracted in the French & Indian Wars.], cause of death disease contracted in the French & Indian Wars,28 occupation Army officer,7 military French & Indian Wars,28 never married.
33. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-10-1750.
10. Alexander Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1714 in Ireland,,, [Some reserchers report birth as early as 1707.], d. Aug-24-1783 in Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Hill Cemetery, Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,, resided in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, resided formerly in Salisbury, Litchfield Co, CT, resided 1747 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT, military Officer in French & Indian War.
Emigrated to American with his brother John about 1720-26 and settled at Richmond, Massachusetts. He is thought to have had a third brother who settled in New Jersey. (Mr. Marshall Gaston of Oberlin, Ohio, made before 1892 a nearly complete record of the descendants of the children of this Alexander Gaston, down to his own generation.)
Mary: Emigrated to America in about 1832. Alexander & Mary "Molly" Wilson Gaston may also have had another child, a son/daughter named Ging.
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Aug- 9-1744,35 d. Aug- 2-1787 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Hill Cemetery, Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,38 [Headstone carries the title "Captain," presumably from Revolutionary War.]. He married36 Naomi Tilden, b. Sep- 9-1743,36 d. May- 6-1822.36
34. ii. JOHN GASTON b. Mar- 3-1746.
35. iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Dec-28-1747.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Sep-20-1749.35
36. v. JANET A. "JENNIE" GASTON b. Dec-27-1750.
vi. MARGARET GASTON b. Jan- 5-1753,35 d. Mar- 8-1807.36
37. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-28-1754.
38. viii. DAVID GASTON b. Jan-13-1757.
ix. THOMAS GASTON b. Mar-16-1759,35 d. 1823,26 military Corporal - Revolutionary War.26 He married36 Sarah Chatman.
x. PHEBE GASTON, also known as Phoebe Gaston, b. Apr-22-1765,35 d. Dec- 7-1835.36 She married (1) John Bacon, Jr., Jun-11-1788 in Berkshire Co, MA. She married27 (2) Elisha ___.
11. Alexander Gaston (4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Feb- 5-1702 in County Antrim, Ireland, d. in Ireland.
Although other researchers allow that only Alexander Gaston's (b. 1702) four oldest children emigrated to America, at least one, Edward H. Couey of Scotts Mills, OR, contends that all six did so, settling in Chester and York Counties, SC. As he cites specific circumstances for this, we provide that information under this Alexander's son Alexander (b. ca 1750).
He married Jane Harper, in Ireland.6
i. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1733 in Ireland.6
39. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Oct- 8-1738.
40. iii. JANE GASTON b. 1740.
41. iv. MATTHEW GASTON b. ca 1748.
42. v. ALEXANDER GASTON b. ca 1750.
vi. MARY LOUISA GASTON b. bef 1755 in Ireland.6
12. John Gaston, also known as Justice John Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 4-1703 in Ireland [Headstone has birth date as 1700, while "Gaston of Chester" states ca 1710.], d. 1782 in South Carolina,17,3,, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled 1751/52) at Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC,3 immigrated 1749 to Pennsylvania,3, occupation farmer, surveyor, Justice in South Carolina.13
Emigrated first to Pennsylvania in 1749, then to Chester District, South Carolina, in about 1751-52, settling on Fishing Creek. Served as King's Justice before 1776, and as leader of the patriots of his vicinity during the British incursion of 1780-81. He is often referred to by Gaston genealogists as "Justice John." The nine sons of John and Esther Gaston served as soldiers in the American Revolution, and four of them lost their lives in that war.
An account of Justice John Gaston is found in the historical novel "Polly of the Pines," by Adele Eugenia Thompson, published in 1906 by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Company. Polly was Mary Dunning, a brave girl of the Carolinas, and the events of the story take place in the years 1775-1882. She was an orphan living with her mother's family, who were Scotch Highlanders, and for the most part intensely loyal to the Crown. Polly finds the glamour of royal adherence hard to resist, but her heart turns toward the patriots, and she does much to aid and encourage them. The book is available in reprint and in PDF form online at Google Books.3,44
He married3 Esther Waugh, in Ireland,13 b. 1715 in Ireland,17,,13 d. 1789,17,3,45 buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 occupation school teacher.13
43. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Aug-29-1738.
44. ii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1741.
45. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jun- 5-1743.
46. iv. JOHN GASTON b. Jun-24-1745.
47. v. JAMES GASTON b. Apr-15-1747.
vi. ROBERT GASTON b. Mar-11-1749 in Pennsylvania, d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC,,46 [Death date determined by a Judge in Gaston family to be Aug 7 1780, not Aug 6 1780 as reported elsewhere (e.g., Ohio Valley Genealogies, p. 41).].
Killed in Revolutionary War battle at Hanging Rock, South Carolina, along with his two brothers, Ebenezer and David.
48. vii. HUGH GASTON b. Mar-12-1751.
viii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug-24-1753,46,47 d. 1781,47 [Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, reports that Alexander Gaston was killed at the Battle of Hanging Rock, August 1781. But "Heritage History of Chester County, SC," p. 196, states that he contracted smallpox at Wright's Bluff on Black River and died in the home of the McConnell family in 1781.].
ix. DAVID GASTON b. Jul- 7-1755,47,46 d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.47,46
Killed in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging Rock, South Carolina, along with his two brothers, Robert and Ebenezer.46
x. EBENEZER GASTON b. Sep-15-1757,47,46 d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.47,46
Killed in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging Rock, South Carolina, along with his two brothers, Robert and David.
49. xi. ESTHER GASTON b. Oct- -1760.
50. xii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jan-22-1763.
13. Mary Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1712 in Ireland,, d. 1802,48 [DAR Lineage Book (p. 103) states her death date as 1800.], buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled) in South Carolina.46
Elizabeth F. Ellet's "The Women of the American Revolution" provides a lengthy profile of Mary Gaston McClure, citing her brave and courageous actions during the American Revolution. [Burgess, "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 82] The Lineage Book of the Daughters of the American Revolution, p. 103, states that Mary Gaston McClure "is recorded in history as 'The Cherokee Heroine.'"
She married43 James McClure, occupation Justice.
51. i. JOHN MCCLURE46.
52. ii. MARTHA MCCLURE b. 1754.
53. iii. WILLIAM MCCLURE46.
iv. MARY MCCLURE. She married46 Samuel Lowry.
v. (FEMALE) MCCLURE. She married46 Edward Martin.
14. Janet Gaston, also known as Jinny Gaston,43 (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1714 in Ireland, resided (settled) in South Carolina.46 She married43,46 Charles Strong.
i. WILLIAM STRONG d. ca 1776-83 in Revolutionary War.46
ii. CHRISTOPHER STRONG resided in Tennessee.
iii. LETITIA STRONG d. aft 1833, resided in South Carolina. She married46 James Strong.
James and Letitia Strong were cousins.46
54. iv. MARGARET STRONG46.
v. JANET STRONG. She married ___ Gladney.46
15. Martha Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1718 in Ireland, resided (settled) in Chester Co, SC.14,43 She married14,43 Alexander Rosborough, also known as Alexander Rosbrough.14
i. WILLIAM GASTON ROSBOROUGH occupation minister,14 never married.14
ii. JOSEPH ROSBOROUGH resided (settled, abt 1800) in Indiana.14
55. iii. ALEXANDER ROSBOROUGH II14.
56. iv. JOHN ROSBOROUGH14 b. 1776.
v. (FEMALE) ROSBOROUGH d. aft 1833, resided (settled) in Tennessee.14 She married J. Bowman, d. bef 1833, occupation minister.
Resided at Lynch's Creek, Lancaster County, SC. Lived previously in Pennsylvania after his emigration to America. Some of his descendants moved to Illinois. Performed patriotic service during the Revolutionary War by supplying beef and a horse for the American cause. Regarding the children of Robert and Margaret Gaston, Burgess' "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 87, makes no mention of Stephen, and provides Thomas only as an unconfirmed possibility. But other sources, particularly Mary Gaston Gee, provide strong confirmation of Thomas Gaston and also include Stephen. Hanna, without identifying a wife, lists only six children for this Robert Gaston, making no mention of either Thomas or Stephen.51
He married Margaret Logan, 1756 in Lancaster Co, PA.
57. i. WILLIAM GASTON46 b. Jul-10-1757.
58. ii. THOMAS GASTON b. Jul-18-1759.
59. iii. JAMES GASTON46 b. Jul-24-1761.
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. 1764,12 d. Mar- 6-1816.12,46 She married46 John McCreary, b. 1754,12 (son of James McCreary and Margaret Gaston), d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3
John McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William Gaston (b. 1680 in Ireland) and she was the granddaughter of the same William Gaston. They had two children.12
v. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1766 in Pennsylvania,12 d. 1836 in Shelby Co, IL,12 resided formerly in Tennessee, resided originally in South Carolina.
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1770 in South Carolina,12 d. Sep- 4-1839 in Greene Co, TN,12, never married.12
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. ca 1772 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1810 in Illinois.12
viii. STEPHEN GASTON
ix. MARTHA GASTON b. ca 1774 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1851 in Pulaski Co, KY.12 She married Isaac Dye.
60. x. HUGH GASTON46 b. 1776.
17. Hugh Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1722 in Ireland, d. Oct-20-1766 in South Carolina, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC, immigrated abt 1766,46 occupation Presbyterian minister.46
Author of a religious book called "Gaston's Concordat." < http://members.tripod.com/RGaston/Concordance.html > Unlike his siblings, Hugh initially remained in Ireland and raised his family there, although some of his children and grandchildren eventually moved to America. He died at the home of his brother John in South Carolina shortly after landing in America.46
He married43 Mary Thomson (daughter of James Thomson).
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Feb- 6-1749 in Ireland, d. bef 1833 [A surgeon on a Guinea merchant ship, he died on the coast of Africa.], occupation physician.46
ii. ALECIA GASTON b. Feb-16-1750 in Ireland,46 d. ca 1825.46 She married46 ___ Nelson. There were no children from this marriage.
61. iii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1752.
iv. JAMES GASTON b. Oct- 6-1754 in Ireland,46 d. bef 1833.
Had eight children.46
v. MARY GASTON b. Dec- 7-1756 in Ireland,46 d. young.46
62. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Jun-16-1759.
63. vii. THOMAS GASTON.
viii. MARY GASTON b. Apr- 4-1763 in Ireland,46 never married.46
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Apr-27-1765 in Ireland.46
Received his medical degree from the University of Edinburgh, then joined the Royal British Navy as a surgeon. He was with the fleet in 1762 when Havana was taken by the British in the Seven Years' War between England and France. He was stricken with dysentery and left the navy for the American colonies to regain his health. He settled in New Bern, NC, sometime before May 1764. He was shot to death by Tory Captain John Cox in full view of his wife. He was a Captain in the North Carolina Militia.
Margaret: Educated at a Roman Catholic convent in Calais, France. After witnessing her husband's shooting death in 1781, she raised her two young children alone. In 1784, in recognition of her husband's services, the state granted her a tract of land. She never ceased to mourn her husband, wearing black until her death in 1811. A strict mother, she forbid her daughter to look into a mirror or to let her shoulders touch the back of a chair in her mother's presence. Margaret nursed indigent sailors, but never missed her teatime daily at 4pm. http://www.americanrevolution.org/women45.html
i. (MALE) GASTON b. bef 1778, d. in infancy.
64. ii. WILLIAM JOSEPH GASTON b. Sep-19-1778.
65. iii. JANE GASTON b. ca 1780.
19. Elizabeth Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1727/30 in Ireland,46 resided in Chester Co, SC.43,14 She married46 John Knox.
i. WILLIAM KNOX occupation minister.46
66. ii. JAMES KNOX46.
iii. JOHN KNOX.
67. iv. HUGH KNOX46.
v. SARAH KNOX d. aft 1833. She married46 John Johnston.
20. William Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1735 in Ireland, d. 1790 in Kell's Ford, Chester Co, SC,46,43 cause of death drowned.46
Served as captain of a volunteer company, 1775, between Broad and Catawba rivers in South Carolina.
He married43 Jane Harbison, aft 1775.46
Jane: Sister of James Harbison.
68. i. HUGH GASTON46.
69. ii. WILLIAM GASTON46 b. Dec- 2-1776.
Settled in Upper Freehold (now Millstone) Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ, about 1741, where in 1758 he was owner of a grist and fulling mill and a member of Dr. William Tennent's Freehold Presbyterian congregation. He was a subscriber in 1758 to the fund for a parsonage for Allentown Church. He deeded a tract of land to his son Hugh in 1793.19,15
i. MARY GASTON b. 1739, baptized Dec- 9-1739 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,,19,15 d. in infancy.15
70. ii. JAMES GASTON b. 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. 1744, baptized Jul-15-1744 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,19 d. aft 1801, resided until aft 1801 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.15,19
iv. MARY (TWIN) GASTON b. 1747 in New Jersey, baptized Mar- 8-1747 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.67,19,15 She married William Johnson.
v. ELIZABETH (TWIN) GASTON b. 1747, baptized Mar- 8-1747 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.67,19,15
71. vi. DANIEL GASTON b. Jan- 9-1748.
vii. CATHARINE GASTON b. 1751, baptized Jun- 2-1751 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.67,22
72. viii. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. Sep-16-1752.
ix. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1756 in New Jersey, baptized Jul-18-1756 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,22 occupation Soldier in Revolution.
73. x. JANE GASTON b. Dec-11-1758.
22. William Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1720,63 d. Dec- -1755 in Pennsylvania.14,15
Took up land in (Upper) Mount Bethel Township, Bucks (now Northampton) Co, PA, on February 20, 1751. He was killed by Indians in December 1755.14,15
He married Unknown, d. bef Sep 1762.14,15
Unknown: Identified by one researcher (Sharon Wassom, Rt 1, Box 87, Alexandria, NE 68303) as Elizabeth Simanton.
74. i. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. May- -1740.
75. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1745,15 d. Feb- -1812 in Shenango Twp, Beaver (now Lawrence) Co, PA,12 resided 1795 in Allegheny Co, PA,,15 resided formerly in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA,15 military 1st Lt, 3rd Co, 6th Bn, Northampton Co (PA) Militia (Revolutionary War).15 He married Jane ___.
iv. JENNET GASTON, also known as Jane Gaston, b. ca 1748.15 She married15,68 Moses Phenix, d. bef 1830 in Beaver Co, PA.69
76. v. JAMES GASTON b. ca 1750.
23. Joseph Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1725,69 d. 1775 in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.68
Took up land in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA, in Jan 1765. Served as a King's Justice from 1766 to 1775. Listed in "The DAR Patriot Index" as having performed patriotic service in the time leading up to the War of Independence.15,68
He married Isabel Simonton, d. aft 1792.
Isabel: Some doubt exists about Isabel's maiden name. She was probably a sister of Robert Simonton, who settled in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, before 1754, whose land at that date adjoined the land of Hugh Gaston, and who moved to Pennsylvania and died in Mount Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, in 1786, leaving children James, Ephraim, Robert, Peter, Benjamin, Margaret Nelson, Jean Britton, and Esther Ross, of whom James & Peter settled in Washington Co, PA. One research team (Gene & Norma Harrington Maas at http://www.genemaas.net/Gaston_roots.htm) report her name as Isabel Simonton Galbraith.
77. i. HUGH GASTON68 b. Jan-18-1764.
ii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
78. iii. JAMES GASTON68 b. ca 1767.
iv. JOHN GASTON resided (settled) in Indiana, [probably].
79. v. ALEXANDER GASTON68 b. Jul-22-1769.
24. Hugh Gaston, Jr. (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1734,,,19 d. Jun-25-1808 in New Jersey,17,15,19 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation farmer & lay judge (appointed 1782).15
By some accounts, Hugh Gaston Jr. was the grandson of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he was probably his son. Of Hugh Gaston Jr.'s four children, two were borne by his first wife (Mary Sloan), none by his second wife (Mary Adams), and two by his third wife (Mary Kirkpatrick).15,19
He married (1) Mary Sloan, b. 1742,19, (daughter of William Sloan and Mary Shields), d. Aug-14-1766 in New Jersey,17 [Anna Reger Gaston reports death date as April 14 1766, rather than August.], buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (2) Mary Adams, b. 1741,19 (daughter of John Adams and Agnes ___), d. Feb-16-1795 in New Jersey,17 [The listing in the History of the Old Tennent Church gives year of death as 1793, and Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 45, also states 1793. But date on headstone clearly reads Feb 16 1795.], buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (3) Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick, also known as Polly Kirkpatrick, b. Nov-23-1761 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19,15 (daughter of David Kirkpatrick and Mary McEowen), d. Jul- 1-1842,19,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ.75
Children by Mary Sloan:
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Apr- 2-1763,15,30 [Hanna, p. 45, reports birth date as Apr 12 1763, but age on headstone calculates to a birth date of Apr 2 1763.], d. Dec-15-1763 in New Jersey,15,19 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.
ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Dec-18-1765,15,19 d. Aug-14-1777 in New Jersey,15,19 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.
Children by Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick:
80. iii. SAMUEL KIRKPATRICK GASTON b. 1795.
25. Elizabeth Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1737.19,15
Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and would therefore have been the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), although there is a possibility that Hugh Gaston (b. 1687) was their grandfather. One source lists her date of birth as 1730.
She married19,15 Thomas Kirkpatrick, resided (settled) in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19,15 [near Liberty Corners].
Thomas: Connection, if any, between the families of David Kirkpatrick and Thomas Kirkpatrick, both of Somerset County NJ, is not known.
81. i. JOHN KIRKPATRICK19.
ii. JANE KIRKPATRICK d. aged abt 60,19,15, never married.19,15,81
26. William Cauldwell (7.Mary3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1726 in Ireland,24 d. 1799 in New Jersey, immigrated 1732.25
William and Elizabeth Thompson Cauldwell had a total of ten children.
He married Elizabeth Thompson, in New Jersey,24 d. Mar-20-1794.24
i. JOHN CAULDWELL. He married24 Hannah Rutan (daughter of Abrahm Rutan).
27. Margaret Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1728 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA.22
Moved with husband from Somerset Co, NJ, to Redstone, Fayette Co, PA.
She married22 Andrew Kirkpatrick (son of Alexander Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth ___), resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA,22 resided formerly in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22
Andrew: Came to America in 1736. Settled in Bernard Township, Somerset County, NJ. Moved to Redstone, Fayette Co. Pa. in 1758.
i. ALEXANDER KIRKPATRICK.
ii. JENNET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Abner Johnson (son of Samuel Johnson).
iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK d. Jun-24-1803.15 She married15,22 Hugh Bartley, also known as Hugh Barclay,22 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation farmer.15
iv. MARGARET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Joseph McMartin.
82. v. MARY KIRKPATRICK22 b. ca 1755.
83. vi. SARAH KIRKPATRICK22.
vii. ANNE KIRKPATRICK.
viii. HANNAH KIRKPATRICK.
28. John Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1730 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15 d. Oct- 3-1776 in Lamington, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation farmer & merchant.
Provided non-military patriotic support during the American Revolutionary War. Was a farmer and active merchant in Somerset County, and was also active in building bridges in his area. From 1772 to 1776, John Gaston was the Clerk of the Board of Freeholders. He was also a member of the Lamington Presbyterian Church.
He married (1) Elizabeth Ker, Jun-27-1758,22,15 (daughter of William Ker and Catherine ___), baptized Mar-19-1738 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ, [Hanna and Anna Reger Gaston report this as the date of birth, rather than baptism.], d. May- 6-1765 in New Jersey,22,15 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married22 (2) Sarah Ogden (daughter of Stephen Ogden and Elizabeth Whitaker).
Children by Elizabeth Ker:
i. CATHERINE GASTON b. May-12-1759,22 d. Apr-14-1762.22
84. ii. WILLIAM GASTON22 b. Jan-13-1761.
85. iii. JOSEPH GASTON22 b. May- 2-1763.
Children by Sarah Ogden:
iv. JOHN GASTON resided (settled) in Lansingburg (Troy), Rensselaer Co, NY.22 He married22 ___ Lansing.
86. v. STEPHEN GASTON22 b. Jul-20-1769.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON d. Sep- 5-1851, resided (settled) in Hamilton Co, OH,22 [Colerain]. She married22 Elias Hedges.
87. vii. ISAAC GASTON22 b. Mar-25-1773.
88. viii. MARGARET GASTON22.
29. Robert Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-28-1732 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, [Jan 23 1732 has also been reported.], d. Sep- 2-1793 in Torbet Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28 military Captain, Revolutionary War.
Robert and Rosanna Cooper Gaston resided in Bernard Township, Somerset County, NJ, until about 1770, then in Pequannock Twp, Morris Co, from before 1771 to 1777, returning then to Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, and then moving to Northumberland Co in about May 1792. He served in the American Revolution as Captain and Lieutenant Colonel of the New Jersey Militia, and as Captain in the Continental Line. He also served as a member of the Committee of Safety for Morris Co, NJ.28
He married Rosanna Cooper, May-15-1762 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,28 b. Mar-23-1742,85 (daughter of Daniel Cooper and Grace Runyon), d. Jan-14-1817.85
89. i. GRACE GASTON71 b. Nov-25-1764.
90. ii. JOSEPH GASTON28 b. Nov-19-1766.
91. iii. MARGARET GASTON28 b. Dec-17-1768.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Feb-12-1770.28
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Apr- 5-1773.28
vi. ANNE GASTON b. Mar-25-1774.28
vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON GASTON b. Apr- 2-1777.28
viii. JOHN GASTON b. Feb- 8-1780.28
30. Joseph Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1738 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 d. Oct-24-1804 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ, occupation farmer, grist mill owner.
During Revolutionary War, served as Paymaster of the NJ Militia from Somerset and Sussex Counties of New Jersey. He settled in Hardwick Township of Sussex County in about 1783, and had a family. He lived in the village of Huntsville where he owned a grist mill and farm that was five miles from the mill. After Joseph's death, his son-in-law, Dr. Elijah Everitt owned the mill property, and his other son-in-law, Rev. John Boyd, owned the Gaston homestead farm. From 1798-1800, Joseph was an elected member of the General Assembly of the NJ Legislature from Sussex County.
He married28 Margaret Linn, Nov- 2-1772 in Somerset Co, NJ,27 b. 1751, (daughter of Joseph Linn and Martha Kirkpatrick), d. Sep-19-1822.
92. i. MARTHA GASTON b. 1774.
ii. MARGARET GASTON27 b. 1776.27 She married John Boyd, Apr-10-1806,27 b. in Pennsylvania, (son of William Boyd and Catherine ___), occupation minister.
Possibly had one daughter, Margaret Boyd.15
31. Ann Gaston27 (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. bef 1777.15 She married28 David Chambers.
i. JOSEPH CHAMBERS.
ii. WILLIAM CHAMBERS.
iii. JOHN CHAMBERS.
32. Margaret Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-19-1738 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 [Hanna (p. 47) reports birth on unspecified date in 1734.], d. Feb- 5-1811 in Middlefield, Hampshire Co, MA,8 [But "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175, reports death on unspecified date in 1810.]. She married28 James Dickson, b. 1728,28 d. 1815.28
James: Name appears as "Dixon" in Colonial Families of the United States, Vol III, p. 175.
i. JAMES DICKSON.
ii. JOHN DICKSON.
iii. ALEXANDER DICKSON.
iv. JOSEPH DICKSON.
v. NANCY DICKSON. She married28 William Church.
93. vi. PHEBE DICKSON28.
33. John Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-10-1750 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27 d. Oct-26-1805 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28 [Place of death given as Sterling, Connecticut, in "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175.], occupation Connecticut Legislature.28, He married Ruth Miller, Dec-20-1770,27,28 b. Nov-16-1750 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT,27,28 (daughter of Alexander Miller and Esther Knight), d. May-10-1825 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.28,7
94. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 2-1772.
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. Dec-13-1781 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27,35 d. Jul-22-1785 in Sterling, Windham Co, CT.27
34. John Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar- 3-1746,35 d. Sep- 6-1834 in Stockbridge, Berkshire Co, MA,35 [But Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy", p. 46, reports his death as Sep 9 1834 in Richmond, Mass.].
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 48, contains an apparent misprint, in that it shows a John Gaston (b. 1746) as a son of Alexander (b. 1754), with that John in turn having a son John (b. 1786). Since this is an absolute impossibility, we conclude that the John (b. 1746) was actually meant to be a son of Alexander (b. 1714), which Hanna also shows. Burgess' "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 44, shows a John Gaston born 1/8/1786 to a John Gaston. Taking all this into account, we believe the lineage is correct as we present it. Burgess also shows other children born to a John Gaston in Berkshire Co, MA, in the same general time frame, but there is insufficient evidence to conclude (particularly since we don't know his wife's name) that that was the same John Gaston (b. 1746). Those children and their parents as listed were: Mary, b. 10/20/1774, dau of John & Miriam Gaston (prob the same as Mary, baptized 2/27/1786, dau of John Ghaston); Eunice, b. 11/16/1777, dau of John & Miriam Gaston (prob the same as Eunice, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston); Elizabeth, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Elizabeth Gaston, b. 4/10/1784, parents not listed); Rachel, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Rachel Gaston, b. 5/23/1780, parents not listed); Achsah, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Achsa Gaston, b. 4/6/1782, parents not listed) (another entry shows Achsah Gaston, granddaughter of Dea. John Gaston, adopted by him and his wife and baptized on 7/21/1811); Harvey, b. 1/4/1788, son of John Ghaston; Joseph, b. 11/15/1789, son of John Ghaston; Harriot, b. 7/15/1792, dau of John Ghaston; and Abi, b. 10/16/1794, dau of John Ghaston.,35
He married Miriam Northup, 1773.38
i. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 8-1786 in Berkshire Co, MA, d. Mar- -1873 in Massachusetts.35
35. Robert Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-28-1747,35 d. Mar- 6-1829,17 buried in Morrisville Rural Cemetery, Madison Co, NY.33 He married36 Rozanna (Rhoda) Tilden, b. Jan-28-1732,36 d. Sep- 2-1793.36
95. i. ELIJAH L. GASTON b. Jun- 9-1793.
36. Janet A. "Jennie" Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-27-1750.35
Identified by Hanna in "Ohio Valley Genealogies" as Janet A. Gaston, daughter of Alexander Gaston & Mary "Molly" Wilson, but by George M. Kasson in "Genealogy of a Part of the Kasson Family in the United States and Ireland" as Jennie Gaston, parents not identified.
She married35, Robert Kasson, b. 1741,92 (son of William Kasson and Elizabeth McKay), d. Sep-25-1826, resided in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY,92 occupation wheelwright.92
Robert: Robert Kasson was a soldier in the French and Revolutionary wars. But in the latter war, he objected to the calling in of French aid, because they were Roman Catholics. He ultimately left the service, for which he was court-martialed, but later reprieved.92
96. i. ROBERT KASSON, JR. b. Apr-10-1773.
97. ii. WILLIAM KASSON b. 1775.
98. iii. HARVEY KASSON b. Dec- 4-1781.
iv. ANNA KASSON. She married Jeremiah Ferguson.
v. PHEBE KASSON. She married93 Henry Ferguson.
vi. OLIVE KASSON. She married93 Deacon Brown.
vii. POLLY KASSON. She married93 ___ Bailey, resided in Adams, Jefferson Co, NY.93
99. viii. ALEXANDER KASSON b. Apr- -1792.
37. Alexander Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-28-1754 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,8,38 d. Jul-12-1823 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Hill Cemetery, Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.38
Although identified by some sources as a "Captain," other reliable sources specify that this Alexander Gaston enlisted as a Private in Capt Aaron Rowley's company in John Brown's detachment of the Berkshire County militia on June 30 1777, and that he was discharged on July 26 1777, having "served twenty-seven days at Fort Ann, on an alarm at Ticonderoga." - See "Soldiers and Sailors of Massachusetts," Vol. VI, p. 306.
In addition to the ten children given by other sources, Robert "Bob" Gaston of Longview WA, a direct descendant, also identifies an eleventh, Albert Gaston. Since this is Bob Gaston's direct line, we include it here.
100. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-14-1783.
ii. ELCY (ELSIE) GASTON b. Jan-22-1785 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,91 d. Nov-29-1810.38
The same date, Nov 29 1810, is given by Jane Farrell Burgess for Elcy Gaston's marriage, and by Bob Gaston of Longview WA for her death. Both citations appear credible in their context and are presumed correct.
She married Jacob Chamberlain, Nov-29-1810 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.
101. iii. HEMAN GASTON b. Sep-13-1786.
iv. AMOS GASTON b. Oct- 6-1788 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,91 d. Aug-24-1806.38
v. SARAH GASTON b. Dec- 1-1790 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.90
vi. CATHERINE "CATY" GASTON b. Apr- 5-1798 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,91 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.91
vii. SAMUEL NORTON GASTON b. Feb- 4-1800 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 d. Aug-14-1823.38
viii. HENRY GASTON b. Mar-21-1802 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.90 He married Mercy Stevens, Nov- 9-1824 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.
ix. MARIA GASTON b. Apr- 5-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 d. Aug-18-1839.38 She married38 ___ Worden.
x. ALBERT GASTON b. Dec- 5-1805 in Berkshire Co, MA.38
xi. GROVE NELSON GASTON b. Feb- 3-1811 in Berkshire Co, MA,38 baptized May-26-1811 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 d. Apr- 1-1855 in Berkshire Co, MA,38 buried in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.38 He married (1) Emeline M. Salmon, Jun- 3-1840 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jun-28-1853.38 He married38 (2) Jane Salmon (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jul- 3-1863.38
38. David Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1757 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,8 [But direct descendants Audley DeForest Gaston & sister Judy Gaston Woodard report birth as Feb 13 1757 in Voluntown CT.], d. Aug-29-1830 in New York. He married36 Eunice Loomis, b. Oct-23-1761 in Aurelius, NY,101 d. Jul-22-1813 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.101
102. i. EBENEZER GASTON b. Apr- 6-1782.
ii. MARGARETT GASTON b. Sep- 2-1783,36 d. Mar- 8-1807.36
iii. DAVID GASTON, JR. b. Jun-19-1785, d. Oct- 4-1786.36
iv. JAMES GASTON b. Aug-14-1787.36
v. NANCY GASTON b. Mar-26-1792.36
vi. WILLIAM GASTON b. Mar- 8-1794.36
vii. IRA GASTON b. Oct- 3-1796.36
viii. LYDIA GASTON b. Jan-22-1802.36
ix. EUNICE GASTON b. Jul- 2-1805,36 d. Jul- 9-1805.36
x. MARGARET GASTON b. 1807,36 d. Mar- 3-1807.36
39. Joseph Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct- 8-1738 in Ireland, d. Apr-21-1823,47, buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC,17,,,47.
Joseph Gaston emigrated to South Carolina with two brothers, Robert and Matthew, and a sister, Jane Gaston Walker, leaving a brother Alexander in Ireland. Joseph Gaston and Martha Gaston were third cousins, as both were great-great-grandchildren of the first John (Jean) Gaston (b. ca 1600 in France).
He married3 Martha Gaston, 1770 in Chester Co, SC,104 b. Jun-11-1741 in Pennsylvania,3 (daughter of John Gaston and Esther Waugh), d. Mar- 4-1826, buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.17,105,47
Martha: Birthdate may be Nov 6, 1741. Death date may be Apr 3, 1826.
103. i. ESTHER JANE GASTON b. 1770.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON. He married3 Mary Blair.
104. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 2-1772.
iv. MARTHA GASTON.
v. MARGARET GASTON.
40. Jane Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1740 - 1749 in Ireland.6 She married Thomas Walker.
105. i. ALEXANDER WALKER b. 1763.
41. Matthew Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1748 in Ireland,6 d. Dec- 9-1799 in Greene Co, GA,104 buried in Macedonia Cemetery, Butts Co, GA.104
Received a land grant in present-day Chester Co, SC, but moved soon thereafter to Rowan Co, NC, where he married his cousin, Ann Simonton. Her mother, Margaret Gaston, had lived and been married in Lancaster Co, PA, moving to North Carolina about 1755. [Per Edward H. Couey, Scotts Mills, OR] (Note: Margaret Gaston's presumed connection to other Gastons in this genealogy is not known. Ann Simonton's parentage and other personalia as enumerated here is from the Reid Genealogy and is considered more reliable than other conflicting info.)
He married (1) Ann Simonton, Aug-12-1768 in Lancaster Co, PA,104 b. 1746 in Pennsylvania, (daughter of Robert Simonton and Margaret ___), d. Dec-13-1793 in Greene Co, GA.104 He married (2) Rebeckah Hardin, Dec-12-1793.104
Rebeckah: A widow at time of marriage; maiden name unknown.104
Children by Ann Simonton:
106. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1774.
107. ii. JANE GASTON b. Jan- 8-1777.
108. iii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1780.
109. iv. MATTHEW GASTON, JR. b. 1785.
42. Alexander Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750 in Ireland,14 d. ca 1840.14
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, states that Alexander Gaston (1750-1840), a great-grandson of the first Irish William, remained in Ireland when his four siblings Joseph (who married Martha Gaston), Robert, Matthew and Jane (who married a Walker) emigrated to America and settled in South Carolina.
But it has been reported by some researchers, including Edward H. Couey, a descendant of this Alexander, that he left Ireland in late 1772 with Reverend William Martin's five shiploads of Scottish Presbyterian Covenanters; was granted land on Jan 6, 1773 in present- day York Co, SC; moved to present-day Madison Co, KY by 1787, back to old Abbeville Co, SC by 1797, back to Kentucky after 1800 where he sold his property in 1808, and moved by 1815 to Randolph Co, IL, where he shortly died. Original sources for this information are not known.6
He married Unknown.
110. i. JOHN GASTON.
43. Margaret Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Aug-29-1738 in Ireland,47, [Hanna, p. 40 reports birth date as Aug 29 1739.], d. 1767 in Chester Co, SC.47, She married3 James McCreary.
i. JOHN MCCREARY b. 1754,12 d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3 He married46 Margaret Gaston, b. 1764,12 (daughter of Robert Gaston and Margaret Logan), d. Mar- 6-1816.12,46
John McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William Gaston (b. 1680 in Ireland) and she was the granddaughter of the same William Gaston. They had two children.12
ii. SAMUEL MCCREARY occupation Baptist minister,3 military Revolutionary War.3
iii. MARGARET MCCREARY.
44. Martha Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 39.)
45. William Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun- 5-1743 in Pennsylvania,3 d. 1814.47
Unclear which of his two wives (as listed in military records) was the mother of his children. Hanna, though stating that William had sons William and James, makes no mention of a wife. He served as a Captain from South Carolina in the Revolutionary War, and was also a Chester District (SC) Judge and Civil Magistrate.3
He married47 (1) Jenet Love, b. ca 1746. He married47 (2) Ann Porter, b. ca 1747.
Children by Jenet Love:
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
ii. JAMES GASTON.
iii. KESIAH GASTON.
iv. ANN GASTON.
v. SUSANNA GASTON.
vi. MARTHA GASTON.
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON. She married ___ Akin.
ix. MARGARET GASTON. She married ___ Hoskins.
x. JANE GASTON. She married ___ Davis.
46. John Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-24-1745 in Pennsylvania,3 d. Jan- -1808,47 [Hanna reports death date as about 1806.].
Was a Private in General Sumter's Mounted South Carolina Militia. Following his death, his family moved from South Carolina to Illinois.46
He married Jannett Knox, also known as Jannet or Janette Knox, 1768,47,110 b. ca 1742 in Glascow, Scotland,110 (daughter of James Knox, Sr. and Elizabeth Craig), d. Aug- 1-1839 in Jefferson Co, IL,110,47 resided aft Jan 1808 in Logan Co, KY,110 resided previously in South Carolina.
111. i. JAMES KNOX GASTON b. Jan- 2-1777.
ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan- -1779 in Richburg, Chester Co, SC,33, d. 1808 in Chester Co, SC,33 [William Gaston's death date is reported by Findagrave.com as 1808, based principally on his Last Will & Testament being dated Jul 21 1803 and probated Jul 21 1808. A death date of 1804 has also been reported. "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p 41, reports that this William Gaston settled in Illinois, which is contradicted by other researchers.], buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.33
iii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Jan- -1781 in Chester Co, SC,33 d. Jul- 2-1853 in Butler Co, KY,33 buried in Ferguson-Graham Cemetery, Hwy 1083, Sugar Grove Rd, Sharer, Butler Co, KY,33 resided (settled abt 1800) in Logan Co, KY,110 resided originally in South Carolina. She married110 Jonathan Ferguson, 1796 in Richburg, Chester Co, SC,33 b. 1772 in Chester Co, SC,33 (son of Paul Ferguson and Elizabeth Ann "Annie" Sutton), d. Mar-16-1860 in Butler Co, KY,33 buried in Ferguson-Graham Cemetery, Hwy 1083, Sugar Grove Rd, Sharer, Butler Co, KY.33
112. iv. ESTHER WAUGH GASTON b. Mar- 3-1792.
47. James Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr-15-1747,46,47 d. bef 1833, resided (settled) in Ohio,46 resided previously in South Carolina.
Hanna, in "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, states that this James Gaston, b. Apr 15 1747, had a son Stephen and several daughters, and that they moved to Ohio in about 1801-02. Burgess, in "Gaston Genealogy," p. 119, reports the same children as Hanna. Neither makes mention of James' wife. "Chester County Heritage History," p. 196, states that this James Gaston married Margaret, that they had a son Stephen and a number of daughters, and that they moved first to Tennessee and later to Indiana Territory. Subsequent research by others, as reported on the LDS familysearch.org website, has revealed the family information found here.
He married47, Margaret Harvey, b. ca 1751,12 d. bef 1820.12
113. i. STEPHEN GASTON46,47 b. 1774.
ii. ROBERT GASTON b. 1776,12 d. 1817 in Illinois.12
iii. ANN GASTON b. Dec-16-1785,12 d. 1843 in Illinois.12
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. May-30-1790 in Kentucky,12 d. Jan-15-1852 in Illinois.12 She married John H. Pillars, b. Jul-27-1786,12 d. Jan-11-1852.12
v. MARY GASTON b. Apr-25-1799 in South Carolina,12 d. Mar-30-1833 in Illinois.12 She married John Crain, b. May- 9-1791,12 d. Jun-22-1850.12
48. Hugh Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-12-1751,26,47 d. Jun-13-1836,26,47 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,47 resided (settled) in Mississippi,46 resided (moved 1826) to Wilcox Co, AL,46 resided originally in South Carolina.46 He married26 Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,46 b. 1754,47 (daughter of James McClure and Mary Gaston), d. Dec-21-1836,47 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,47 resided in Alabama.
i. JOHN GASTON.
ii. EBENEZER GASTON.
iii. JAMES GASTON.
iv. WILLIAM GASTON.
v. HUGH GASTON.
vi. MARY GASTON.
vii. MARTHA GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON.
ix. MARGARET GASTON.
49. Esther Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct- -1760,47,46 [Birth date reported in "Heritage History of Chester County, SC," p. 196, as Oct 15 1760, but Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41states Oct 18 1760, while the DAR lineage book shows it as 1761.], d. 1809.47
Before her marriage to Alexander Walker, Esther Gaston was cited for her heroic deeds during the American Revolution. During the Battle of Rocky Mount, when she saw three men fleeing, she asked to take their arms and fight in the battle herself. This prompted the men to return to the fighting. With patriotic spirits and kind hearts, she and her sister-in-law aided the wounded and dying during the Battles of Rocky Mount and Hanging Rock, dressing the wounds and quenching the thirsts of the seriously injured.
She married Alexander Walker, b. 1763, (son of Thomas Walker and Jane Gaston).
Alexander Walker was the g-g-g-grandson of Jean Gaston (b. ca 1600 in France), while his wife Esther Gaston was the g-g-grand-daughter of the same Jean Gaston. They were thus third cousins once removed.
114. i. JOHN GASTON WALKER46.
50. Joseph Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-22-1763 in Chester Co, SC,46,47, [Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 85, states that age 73y 8m 18d in death record would put birth exactly one month earlier, at Jan 22 1763.], d. Oct-10-1836 in Chester Co, SC,116 buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.,47
Joseph Gaston (1763-1836) served at the battles of Hanging Rock and at Buford's defeat. He received a pension as a private in Chester county, where he was born and where he died.
Wounded with a shot that hit under his eye in the Battle of Hanging Rock, SC, in the Revolutionary War. He later became a Magistrate for over forty years, and was also an elder of the Presbyterian Church. In 1830, he was elected to the South Carolina Legislature, and shortly before his death he published an article describing his Revolutionary War experiences.117
He married118,8 Jane Brown, Apr-20-1790, b. Apr-10-1768, (daughter of Walter Brown and Margaret ___), d. Jun-27-1858,47 buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.114,47
115. i. JOHN BROWN GASTON b. Jan-23-1791.
116. ii. NARCISSA GASTON b. Nov-17-1792.
iii. ELIZA GASTON b. Sep-20-1794,46 d. Jun- 7-1845. She married46 ___ Neely.
iv. ESTHER GASTON b. Dec- 4-1795, d. May-25-1856. She married46 D. G. Stinson.
D.: Probably Daniel G. Stinson, b. ca 1794, resident of South Carolina. [Based on letter from Louisa Beecher Gaston of Boston to H. B. Gaston, Dec 5 1883.]
v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-29-1797, d. Oct- 1-1802.108
vi. JANE GASTON b. Aug-17-1800,46 d. Oct- 4-1880.108 She married46 ___ Crawford.
vii. JAMES A. H. GASTON b. Oct-17-1801,46 d. Jul-26-1859,108 buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.114
viii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan- 1-1808,46 d. Jun-27-1810.108
51. John McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), d. Aug- 6-1780 at Hanging Rock, SC,46 military Captain in Revolutionary War.
John McClure was one of the master spirits of the Revolution. He was mortally wounded at Hanging Rock, 1780, while bravely leading his volunteer company against the British regulars. He died in Liberty Hall, where the Mecklenburg Declaration was written. He had three brothers who served in the army, and his mother is recorded in history as "The Cherokee Heroine."
He married Mary Porter.
117. i. HUGH MCCLURE.
52. Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,46 (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 48.)
53. William McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation military physician, rank of General.,46 He married124 Sarah Davis.
118. i. HANNAH MCCLURE b. ca 1786.
54. Margaret Strong (14.Janet4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married46 John Simonton.
i. CHARLES H. SIMONTON.
55. Alexander Rosborough II (15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in at sea [The 1900 Census of sons David and Joseph indicated that their father was born at sea, and their mother in South Carolina.], occupation physician.14
His first two children, Mary Martha and William Andrew, were by his first wife, Mary Hemphill. Hanna states that Alexander Rosborough II had a total of six sons and two daughters by his second wife, Janet Porter, but identifies only the five children listed here.14
He married14 (1) Mary Hemphill. He married14 (2) Janet Porter, b. in South Carolina.
Children by Mary Hemphill:
i. MARY MARTHA ROSBOROUGH.
ii. WILLIAM ANDREW ROSBOROUGH.
Children by Janet Porter:
119. iii. DAVID D. ROSBOROUGH b. Sep- -1815.
120. iv. ALEXANDER M. ROSBOROUGH14 b. ca 1817.
v. JOSEPH BROWN ROSBOROUGH b. Dec- -1821 in South Carolina, census 1900 in Belton, Bell Co, TX, resided (settled) in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, UT,14 resided (moved in 1848) to California.14
vi. JOHN ROSBOROUGH resided (settled) in Tennessee.
vii. MACLIN ROSBOROUGH resided (settled) in Tennessee.
56. John Rosborough, census name John Rosboro (15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,14 d. 1854,14 occupation Clerk of the Court, Chester Co, SC. He married14 Eleanor Key.
Had a total of four sons and six daughters.14
i. JOHN ROSBOROUGH d. Civil War.14
ii. WILLIAM ROSBOROUGH resided (settled) in Sardis, Panola Co, MS.14
57. William Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-10-1757 in Lancaster Co, PA,46, [Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, reports birth date as Jul 23 1755. Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy," pp. 87 & 96, provides conflicting birth dates of 1755 and Jul 10 1757. Bill Gaston, http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/, reports birth date as Jan 13 1761. Age 82y 6m 2d on headstone calculates to a birth date of July 10 1855. But William Gaston's birth date accepted by the DAR is July 10 1757.], d. Jan-12-1838 in Marion Co, IL,,12 [Death date of Jan 14 1838 reported by Mary Gaston Gee, p. 13.], buried in Old Covenanter Cemetery, Walnut Hill (Centralia), Marion Co, IL, resided in Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL,46,126 resided 1808 - ca 1829 in Christian Co, KY,128,46,126 military South Carolina Militia, Revolutionary War,46,126,
The following is from a handwritten letter by Frank DeForest Gaston (1853-1920) of Meadville, PA: "A reunion of the Gaston family was recently held at Centralia, Ill at which over 1,000 persons were present, the entire connection numbering over 1300. All were descendants of Wm Gaston who came to Ill in 1827..." "Wm Gaston was born in North Carolina..." (But DAR Lineage Book has birth in Lancaster Co, PA.)
He married Mary McClure, ca 1781,128 b. 1758 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. ca 1829 in Christian Co, KY.128
Mary: Possibly the daughter of Samuel McClure and Sarah Rankin.128
i. MARGARET ANN GASTON b. Feb-15-1783 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. Aug-18-1831 in Jefferson Co, IL,128 buried in Old Covenanter Cemetery, Walnut Hill (Centralia), Marion Co, IL,128 resided (settled in 1822) in Marion Co, IL.46 She married46 Thomas Kell, ca 1799 in Chester Co, SC.128
ii. ANN R. GASTON b. May- 9-1784 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. May-17-1867 in Marion Co, IL,128 buried in Old Covenanter Cemetery, Walnut Hill (Centralia), Marion Co, IL. She married Matthew Rainey, also known as Matthew Raney,132 ca 1804 in Chester Co, SC,128 b. Jan- 1-1784 in Chester Co, SC,33 (son of Robert Rainey and Jennet Kell), d. Mar-20-1842 in Marion Co, IL,33 buried in Old Covenanter Cemetery, Walnut Hill (Centralia), Marion Co, IL.33
121. iii. WILLIAM GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 1-1786.
122. iv. SAMUEL GASTON46 b. Oct-16-1787.
123. v. JOHN RANKIN GASTON b. 1790.
vi. SARAH MCCLURE GASTON b. Mar-17-1792 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. Jul- 3-1834 in Marion Co, IL.128 She married Matthew Cunningham, Nov- 5-1812 in Christian Co, KY.128
vii. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1794 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. in Bond Co, IL,128 resided (settled in 1822) in Bond Co, IL.46
viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1796 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. ca 1845 in Barry Co, MO.128 She married Andrew Carson, Aug-17-1815 in Christian Co, KY.128
ix. MARY ANN GASTON b. in Chester Co, SC,128 d. 1843 in Jefferson Co, IL.128 She married Hugh White, Sep-13-1827 in Bond Co, IL.128
58. Thomas Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-18-1759 in Lynch's Creek, Lancaster Co, SC,, d. Apr-23-1832,133 occupation wagon maker, military Revolutionary War (served as an irregular),26, [As a wagon maker by trade, in the Revolutionary War he devoted his time to building and repairing wagons for the Continental Army. The same powder horn used by Thomas Gaston in the Revolutionary War was later used by other family member in the War of 1812 and in the Civil War.].
"Thomas Gaston was a devout Presbyterian and was at all times ready to give of his time and money to the advancement of community welfare. He owned a flour and grist mill on Gaston Creek, and later installed one of the first cotton gins for that section of the country."135
He married134 Sarah Nickels (daughter of James Nickels), d. Mar-30-1818.133
124. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Sep-17-1787.
125. ii. JAMES NICKELS "JIMMY" GASTON b. Jan-18-1789.
126. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Sep-29-1790.
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Feb- 5-1793. She married133 Jesse Wakefield.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan- 7-1795,137 d. Dec-14-1825,137 never married.137
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jul- 9-1796,137 d. Jul-13-1847.137 He married137 Margaret Caldwell.
Had three daughters.137
127. vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. Sep- 4-1798.
viii. MARGARET LOGAN GASTON b. Jun-13-1800,137 d. Jul-22-1863.137
128. ix. THOMAS LOGAN GASTON b. Apr- 7-1805.
59. James Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-24-1761,126,52 d. Mar- 7-1840 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL,33 resided (settled) in Wayne Co, IL, resided formerly in Christian Co, KY, resided originally in South Carolina.
Hanna, in "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, and Burgess in "Gaston Genealogy," p. 121, state only that this James Gaston was a son of Robert Gaston, who was a son of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon. More recent researchers have shown that this James Gaston married Catherine Creighton and settled in Wayne Co, IL, raising a family of eight children.
He married12 Catherine Creighton, Mar-20-1783 in Lancaster Co, SC,33 b. 1764,12 d. Jan- 5-1848 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL.33
i. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1784 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1806 in South Carolina.12
ii. JANE CATHERINE GASTON b. Jul-11-1785 in South Carolina,12 d. 1865.12 She married (1) John Murray Massey, also known as Murray Massey,33 b. ca 1781.12
She married138 (2) John Bovee, b. Sep-11-1788,12 d. Jan-21-1868.12
iii. THOMAS CREIGHTON GASTON b. May 4 1790/91 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1833 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Elender Clark, Feb- 1-1814,12 b. 1792.12 He married139 (2) Sarah Conner, Feb- 1-1821,12 b. Aug-10-1803.12
iv. ROBERT RUTLEDGE GASTON b. Jan-27-1792 in Lancaster Co, SC,12 d. Nov-12-1837 in Wayne Co, IL.12 He married Elizabeth "Betsy" Whitney, Feb- 4-1812 in Christian Co, KY, b. ca 1792,12 d. Dec-28-1849.12
v. ELIHU GASTON b. 1793 in South Carolina,12 d. 1834 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Nancy Wilson, Dec-18-1818,12 b. 1795.12 He married141 (2) Mary Ann Treadway.
vi. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-14-1796 in South Carolina,12 d. May- 5-1875 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Jane Treadway, Dec- 1-1817,12 b. 1781,12 d. 1834.12 He married142 (2) Hannah Bovee, ca 1834,12 b. Aug-14-1814,12 d. Nov-25-1856.12 He married142 (3) Artimissa M. Perrens, ca 1858,12 b. ca 1814,12 d. Sep- 6-1869.12
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1797 in South Carolina.12 She married12 Benjamine McGehee.
viii. JAMES CYRUS GASTON b. Aug-28-1798 in South Carolina,12 d. 1878 in Missouri.12 He married Margaret Clark, b. Mar-12-1798.12
60. Hugh Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,12 d. 1830,12 resided (settled) in Greene Co, IN, resided formerly in Kentucky, resided originally in South Carolina. He married Jane ___.
129. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1799.
61. Martha Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-11-1752 in Ireland.46 She married James Ross.
i. JAMES ROSS b. in Ireland.46
Emigrated to America, remaining for nine years, but then returned to Ireland and settled at Londonderry. Four children.46
He married (Female) Rogan (daughter of ___ Rogan and Elizabeth Gaston).
ii. (FEMALE) ROSS b. in Ireland,46 resided (settled) in Baltimore, MD.46
Married and had 10 or 11 children, some of whom settled in Baltimore.46
iii. HUGH GASTON ROSS b. in Ireland,46 d. [Not heard from after 1817.], immigrated46 military War of 1812.46
iv. REBECCA ROSS resided 1833 in New Jersey. She married46 Stephen Latimer, ca 1818, resided originally in New Jersey.46
62. Elizabeth Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-16-1759 in Ireland.46 She married46 ___ Rogan, b. in Northern Ireland,46 occupation physician, surgeon.46
Of their eight children, six were boys, one daughter died unmarried, and the other daughter married Elizabeth's nephew James Ross and moved to Ireland.
i. (FEMALE) ROGAN. She married James Ross, b. in Ireland,46 (son of James Ross and Martha Gaston).
James: Emigrated to America, remaining for nine years, but then returned to Ireland and settled at Londonderry. Four children.46
63. Thomas Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Ireland,46 d. bef 1833 in New York, resided (settled) in New York.46 He married Unknown, d. bef 1833.
i. (FEMALE) GASTON resided (settled) in Orange, Essex Co, NJ.46 She married46 ___ Lindsay.
ii. (FEMALE) GASTON.
64. William Joseph Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-19-1778 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,,57,14 d. Jan-23-1844 in Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,,57,14 buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery, New Bern, NC [William Joseph Gaston was initially buried in Raleigh, but his remains were later taken to New Bern for burial by the graves of his parents and daughter.], occupation Congressman & Judge.
William Gaston of North Carolina entered Georgetown on Nov 22 1791 as the first student to enroll. Though health forced his transfer to Princeton, where he was placed in the third year of studies after a year and a half at Georgetown, Gaston remained close to the faculty throughout his life. He served in the U.S. Congress 1813-15, where he introduced the legislation chartering the college, and served as Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court 1833-44. In 1817, he voluntarily retired from Congress and never again entered national politics, declining in 1840 the offer of the U.S. senatorship and in 1841 the offer of a seat as Attorney General in the cabinet of President Harrison. He wrote the state song of North Carolina, where the city of Gastonia and the county of Gaston are named in his honor.
"In 1835, Gaston was an influential delegate to the North Carolina Constitutional Convention, where he fought to have religious qualifications for office holding dropped and where he attempted to protect the voting privileges of free people of color. Gaston also supported federal representation as the basis for representation in the House of Commons and biennial meetings of the state legislature.
"Gaston's law practice was very successful and his reputation in legal circles was of national scope. Daniel Webster and John Marshall, among others, consulted with him on legal questions. In 1833, Gaston was elected by the state legislature to a post as an associate justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court, where he served until his death in 1844. Gaston's most famous decision on the bench came in 1834 with the case of State v. Negro Will. Gaston ruled that a slave had the right to defend himself against an unlawful attempt of a master, or an agent of a master, to kill him. In the significant case of State v. William Manuel in 1838, he held that a manumitted slave was a citizen of the state and thus entitled to the guarantees of the constitution. Gaston purchased a library for the state Supreme Court while on a trip to New York City in 1835. "
Some accounts put his two older children, Alexander and Susan, as being by his first wife, Susan Hay, but according to his biography, "William Gaston, Carolinian," by J. Herman Schauinger (Bruce Publishing Co, Milwaukee, WI, 1949), Susan died just eight months after they were married. Because his second wife, Hannah, died in 1813, it is clear that his first three children were by her, and his last two by his third wife, Eliza Ann Worthington, daughter of the college physician.
He married14 (1) Susan Hay, Sep- 4-1803 in Fayetteville, Cumberland Co, NC,124 b. ca 1787,124 (daughter of John Hay and ___ Grove), d. Apr-20-1804.124
He married14 (2) Hannah McClure, Oct- 6-1805 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,124 b. ca 1786,124 (daughter of William McClure and Sarah Davis), d. Jul-14-1813 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC.
Hannah: Children Alexander and Susan are reported in Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, as being William J. Gaston's children by his first wife. But Hanna also concurs with the 1803 and 1805 dates of William's first two marriages. Several months pregnant, Hannah died of convulsions brought on by news that the British were about to attack her town. Their three children stayed with William's sister Jane in Raleigh for the next three years. William Joseph Gaston and Hannah McClure were first cousins once removed, as he was the grandson of William Gaston (b. 1680 in Ireland) and she was the great-granddaughter of the same William Gaston.
He married (3) Eliza Ann Worthington, Sep- 3-1816 in Georgetown, Washington, DC,56 (daughter of Charles Worthington), d. Jan-19-1819 in North Carolina.124
Children by Hannah McClure:
130. i. ALEXANDER F. GASTON b. Jan-19-1807.
ii. SUSAN JANE GASTON124 b. Jun- 4-1808 in North Carolina,124 d. 1866. She married Robert Donaldson, Feb-14-1828 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC.56
Robert: Robert Donaldson was a Scotch merchant from New York City, with financial interests in North Carolina. Robert and Susan were married in the Gaston home by Bishop John England. They lived in Fayetteville, NC during the winter, and in summer at Robert's home in New York on the Hudson River.
131. iii. HANNAH MARGARET GASTON b. Mar-18-1811.
Children by Eliza Ann Worthington:
iv. ELIZA ANN GASTON b. Sep-27-1817 in Georgetown, Washington, DC,124 [Age 30 in 1850 Census and age 50 in 1870 Census would put birth in about 1820. Birthplace given in 1850 Census as Maryland, but in 1870 Census as North Carolina.], d. 1874, census 1850, 1870 in Prince Georges Co, MD. She married George W. Graham, Nov-14-1842 in Washington, DC,56 b. ca 1813, (son of John Graham and Susan Hall), resided in Maryland,148 census 1850 in Prince Georges Co, MD.
v. CATHERINE JANE (KATE) GASTON124 b. Jan- 6-1819 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,56,124 d. 1885, never married.14
65. Jane Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1780. She married John Louis Taylor, ca 1797, b. Mar- 1-1769 in London, England,56, d. Jan-29-1829 near Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,151 buried Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,151 immigrated ca 1781,151 occupation lawyer & judge,151 education William & Mary College.151
John: Born in London of Irish parents, John Louis Taylor came to America at the age of twelve. He was licensed to the bar in 1788, and in 1792 he entered politics as a Federalist to represent the town of Fayetteville in the NC House of Commons. In 1798 he was elected a judge of the NC Superior Court, and in 1811 was named the first Chief Justice of North Carolina.
i. (FEMALE) TAYLOR.
John Louis Taylor and wife Jane Gaston had an adopted daughter, name unknown, who was widowed by former Attorney General James F. Taylor. This (Female) Taylor may or may not be the same person.
She married David E. Sumner, resided in Gates Co, TN.14
ii. WILLIAM TAYLOR occupation Congress/NC Chief Justice.
66. James Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation physician.46
i. JANE KNOX.
Possibly the same Jane Knox who married Samuel Polk, Mecklenburg Co, NC.46
67. Hugh Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Jane Nesbit, also known as Jennet or Jenny.153_153
132. i. NANCY GASTON KNOX b. ca 1797.
68. Hugh Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Unknown.
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
69. William Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec- 2-1776 in Union Co, SC,33 d. Nov- 1-1861 in Kemper Co, MS,33 buried in Pleasant Springs Presbyterian Cemetery, Preston, Kemper Co, MS,33 resided in Memphis, Shelby Co, TN,,46 resided formerly in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.154,46 He married154 Priscilla Buford,154 also known as Priscilla Beaufort,46 [Hanna (p. 41) reports William Gaston's wife as ___ Beaufort, while the DAR Lineage Book (p. 322) gives it as Priscilla Buford. The latter is considered the more reliable.], Jul-23-1805,33 b. Sep-30-1786 in Amelia Co, VA,33 (daughter of Leroy Buford and Frances Ragsdale), d. Jul- 5-1856 in Kemper Co, MS,33 buried in Pleasant Springs Presbyterian Cemetery, Preston, Kemper Co, MS.33
133. i. LEROY GASTON14 b. Apr- 4-1807.
134. ii. FRANCES GASTON b. ca 1807.
70. James Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1742, baptized Mar-28-1742 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,19,15 d. bef 1779 [Wife Lydia re-married in 1779.]. He married Lydia Tapscott, Apr-20-1773 in Monmouth Co, NJ,19,15,20 b. 1755, d. 1791.
Lydia: Widowed, Lydia Tapscott Gaston, married Capt. David Baird in 1779. Name may have been Mary Lydia Tapscott.
135. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Feb-18-1776.
71. Daniel Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 9-1748, baptized Apr- 3-1749 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,19,15 d. Jun-20-1838 in Northumberland Co, PA.
Served as soldier in Samuel Forman's Regiment of the New Jersey Militia during American Revolution. Later moved to Northumberland Co, PA, and applied for an American Revolutionary War Pension. Lived in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ, during the Revolution. Children identified by Anna Reger Gaston as John, Catherine, John, William and Jane, all baptized at Tennent Church.
He married Nancy Ann ___, Nov-10-1774, b. Dec-18-1752, d. aft Jan-30-1839.
i. JOHN GASTON baptized Apr-14-1776 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.67,19
ii. SARY GASTON b. Sep- -1777.
iii. JAMES GASTON b. Oct-13-1779.
iv. STEPHEN GASTON b. Dec-16-1781.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-16-1784.
vi. ELLEN GASTON b. Jan-23-1787, baptized Jun-24-1787 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.
vii. JANE GASTON b. Jul- 3-1789.
72. John Gaston, Jr. (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-16-1752 in Monmouth Co, NJ,30 baptized Jan-20-1754 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,22 d. Apr- 6-1829 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,17 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV, occupation farmer, blacksmith, military Revolutionary War.
John Gaston, Jr. and his wife, Anna Davisson, came to Duck Creek, Harrison County, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1796. Anna's sister Elizabeth and her husband, Watters Smith, also came to Duck Creek at the same time and bought land there. John Gaston, Jr. served in the Revolutionary War in Capt. John Covenhoven's (aka Jon Cowenhoven) Company, Col. Samuel Forman's 2nd Regiment, of the Monmouth County NJ Militia. New Jersey Department of Defense records show him as a Sergeant as of Jul-1-1780.
He married Anna Davisson, 1785 [probably Monmouth Co, NJ], b. Feb-20-1765 in Tennent, Monmouth Co, NJ,, (daughter of Andrew Davison and Sarah Smith), d. Aug- 8-1854 in Duck Creek, Harrison Co, WV, buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV,17 [Headstone reads: Anna, wife of John Gaston Sr., died Aug 8 1854, aged 89y 5m 17d.].
Anna: Anna Davisson was known also as Ann and Anne, and also as Davison. The newer spelling has two "ss" and seems to have been adopted by the clerk of the court in Harrison County.
136. i. ANDREW GASTON b. ca 1782.
137. ii. MARY E. "POLLY" GASTON b. May- 4-1785.
138. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Jun- 5-1788.
139. iv. SARAH GASTON b. Dec-29-1790.
140. v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-13-1793.
141. vi. JOHN GASTON b. May-24-1796.
142. vii. DEBORAH GASTON b. Aug- 9-1798.
143. viii. JANE GASTON b. Nov-14-1802.
144. ix. JAMES GASTON b. 1804.
145. x. WILLIAM G. GASTON b. Feb- 1-1806.
73. Jane Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-11-1758 in New Jersey, baptized Mar-25-1759 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,67,22 d. Jan- 7-1808, buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Always resided in the Freehold, New Jersey area. [Names and birth dates of second husband and their children obtained from "This Old Monmouth of Ours," by William S. Horner, p. 114. Names and birthdates of first husband and their children obtained from records at the Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.]
She married (1) James Mount, 1774, b. Mar-27-1752 in Upper Freehold, Monmouth Co, NJ, d. Dec-27-1786, buried in Yellow Meeting House Cem, Freehold, NJ.
She married (2) Lewis Anderson, Jul- 2-1788,23 b. Jan-22-1757, d. Mar-29-1838, buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Children by James Mount:
146. i. JOHN GASTON MOUNT b. Jul-28-1775.
ii. EZEKIEL I. MOUNT b. Aug-17-1777 in New Jersey, d. 1865, census 1850, 1860 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.
1850 Census, Monmouth Co, New Jersey (Millstone Twp), enumerated on Jul 25 1850:
Ezekiel I. Mount, 72, farmer; Margaret, 60; Elenor, 46; Rebecca, 35; John G, 31; Margaret, 31; Mary Matilda, 3; Margaret Ann, 1; William Stillwell, 19, laborer. All born in New Jersey.
1860 Census, Monmouth Co, New Jersey (Millstone Twp), enumerated on Jul 23 1860:
Ezekle I. Mount, 83, farmer; Margaret, 70; Elliner, 40. All born in Monmouth.
He married (1) Leah ___. He married (2) Margaret Gaston, b. 1790 in New Jersey, d. 1874, census 1850, 1860 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Margaret: It is not known what relationship, if any, this Margaret Gaston had with any of the other Gastons in this genealogy. Given the times and locations, however, it is likely that there was some connection.
iii. SEXTON MOUNT b. Jul-24-1781. He married Margaret Mount, Jun- 4-1808.
Margaret: Unknown what blood relationship, if any, Margaret Mount was to husband Sexton.
iv. CATHERINE MOUNT b. 1784, d. Apr- 2-1819. She married Peter Perrine, Jr., b. Mar- 3-1768, d. Sep- 6-1846.
v. REBECCA MOUNT b. 1786.
Children by Lewis Anderson:
vi. ANNA LLOYD ANDERSON b. Nov-26-1789 in New Jersey.
vii. KENNETH ANDERSON b. in New Jersey.
viii. HANNAH ANDERSON b. May-30-1793 in New Jersey.
ix. JAMES ANDERSON b. Feb-15-1795 in New Jersey.
x. WILLIAM ANDERSON b. Feb-15-1797 in New Jersey.
xi. THOMAS ANDERSON b. Dec-12-1799 in New Jersey.
74. John Gaston, Jr. (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- -1740 in Monmouth Co, NJ,17,19,,15 d. Sep-10-1823 in Washington Co, PA,17,161 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,17,14,15 [Headstone inscription reads "In Memory of John Gaston, who departed this life September 10th A.D. 1823, aged 83 years & 4 months." A separate metal marker staked into the ground adjacent to the headstone reads "Revolutionary Soldier, 1775 - 1883, Placed by the Monongahela Valley Chapter D.A.R."], military Major, Revolutionary War.15
Resided in Upper Freehold Township, Monmouth County NJ, from before 1760 until after 1767, moving then to Mt Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA, where he took up 275 acres of land in Feb 1772. Served as a Major in the Revolutionary War. Around 1780-82, moved to Rostraver Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA, and in about 1790 to Peters (now Union) Township, Washington Co, PA, his wife's sister Elizabeth accompanying them. He purchased a large tract of land there known as Belmont, after which the area became known as Gastonville. The "Gaston House" there was built in 1908 and occupied by Gastons until 1964.
From a listing of baptisms in "History of the Old Tennent Church," p. 210: "John Gaston Jr., whose Father was Murthered by the Indians; had bap. William, Sep. 6, 1761; Joseph, July 17, 1763; John, Apr. 14, 1765; Samuel & James, Twin Children, Apr. 12, 1767.",
He married Charity Cheeseman, also known as Charety,17 Feb-4-1760 in Monmouth Co, NJ,14 b. Mar-13-1734 in New Jersey,14,17 (daughter of Joseph Cheeseman and Lydia Parent), d. Feb-15-1821,14,17 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA.14,,15.
147. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-15-1761.
148. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Apr-25-1763.
iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 7-1765,68 baptized Apr-14-1765 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.163
iv. SAMUEL (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767,68 baptized Apr-12-1767,163 d. in infancy.68
149. v. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767.
150. vi. SAMUEL GASTON, SR. b. Oct-10-1772.
151. vii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1776.
viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. May- 8-1778,68 d. Feb-28-1858 in Washington Co, PA,68,69 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,69 never married.69
The birth/death dates of May 8 1778 & Feb 28 1858 are from Hanna, p. 43. Death and burial locations are from Peter & Jane Topoly, original source not stated. A headstone for this Elizabeth Gaston conforming to those dates could not be found at the Mingo Creek Presbyterian Cemetery. However, there was a headstone there for Elizabeth Gaston, who died Apr 25 1858, age 80. If this is the same person, which is likely, the reason for the discrepancy in the death date is not known.
75. William Gaston (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1742 in Somerset Co, NJ,15 [Probably. Hanna, p. 43, gives birth date as 1742-48.], d. ca Apr 1801 in Upper Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.15,68 He married15,68 Elizabeth Simonton (daughter of Robert Simonton and Margaret ___).
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Jul-22-1769 in Pennsylvania,12 d. Jul- 9-1825 in Ohio,12 resided until aft 1811 in Lower Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA,68 [Richmond]. He married68 Huldah Einke,12 also known as Hulda Encke,12 b. ca 1773.12
ii. WILLIAM ISAAC GASTON b. ca 1771 in Pennsylvania.12
152. iii. CHARLES W. GASTON15,68 b. 1781.
iv. MARGARET GASTON. She married Elisha Everitt, bef 1806.68
v. ELIZABETH GASTON. She married Simeon Hart, 1806-07.68
76. James Gaston (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750,15 d. 1824 in Beaver Co, PA,69 resided 1773 in Northampton Co, PA.
There is some speculation that this may be the James Gaston who was a Justice of the Peace of Somerset County in 1781 and was appointed a lay Judge in 1783, as further information regarding him is lacking.15
He married69 Elizabeth Lyle, b. 1760 in Northampton Co, PA,69 (daughter of Robert Lyle and Mary Gilleland).
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
153. ii. ROBERT GASTON.
iii. MARGARET GASTON. She married69 ___ Selby.
iv. ELEANOR JANE GASTON. She married69 ___ Miller.
154. v. MARY "POLLY" GASTON b. Oct-10-1787.
77. Hugh Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1764 in Somerset Co, NJ,15,71 d. Jun-24-1839 in East Liverpool, Columbiana Co, OH,15,,71 ["History of the Upper Ohio Valley" (p. 146) reports death date as about 1837, but great-grandson Frederick Waage Gaston's SAR application shows it as 1839.], buried in Columbiana Co, OH.
Birth place appears in "History of the Upper Ohio Valley" (p. 146) as Ireland, which is considered incorrect, as grandfather Hugh Gaston emigrated from there in about 1720. Anna Reger Gaston reports it unequivocally as Somerset Co, NJ. Hugh Gaston resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ in 1787. According to Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 44, in about 1795-1799, Hugh moved to Washington County & Lycoming County, and then to western Pennsylvania & Ohio. But the date of his departure from New Jersey is considered suspect, since the birthplace of his older children, born before 1795, is shown in census records not as New Jersey, but as Pennsylvania. Hugh Gaston and Grace Gaston were second cousins, as both were great-grandchildren of John Gaston (b. 1645 in Scotland).71
He married Grace Gaston, Mar-14-1789 in Somerset Co, NJ,69,15,71 b. Nov-25-1764,15,71 (daughter of Robert Gaston and Rosanna Cooper), d. Mar-14-1838.15,71
155. i. JOSEPH GASTON b. Dec-24-1789.
156. ii. JAMES WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan-20-1793.
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Feb-23-1794,15,71 d. Jun- 4-1801.15,71
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Sep- 7-1797,15,71 d. Jan-14-1816.15,71
157. v. HUGH GASTON b. Apr- 9-1804.
78. James Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1767 in Somerset Co, NJ,15, d. May-Ju-1813 in Smith Twp, Washington Co, PA,71 resided (settled abt 1788) in Smith Twp, Washington Co, PA.71
In about 1788, moved from Lower Mount Bethel Township, Northampton County, PA, settling in Smith Township, Washington County, PA. One account (Ohio Valley Genealogies) lists 7 children as: William, Mary, Jane, Eleanor (who married a Moore), James W., John, and an unnamed female who also married a Moore. Another account (The Gaston Genealogy by Jane Farrell Burgess) lists 7 children as Mary, William, Joseph, Hugh, Isabella, John, & James W. Yet another account (Anna Reger Gaston's "Gaston Family Lines of Somerset") lists only William, Mary, Jane and John. We list here a combination of the accounts.
He married15 Jane ___.
i. MARY GASTON. She married71 ___ Anderson.
ii. WILLIAM GASTON d. 1830 in Brooke Co, (W)VA,71 never married.71
iii. JOSEPH GASTON.
iv. HUGH GASTON.
v. ISABELLA GASTON.
vi. JOHN GASTON.
158. vii. JANE GASTON71 b. Oct- 2-1792.
159. viii. JAMES W. GASTON71 b. Aug-29-1808.
ix. ELEANOR GASTON. She married71 ___ Moore.
160. x. (FEMALE) GASTON71.
79. Alexander Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-22-1769 in Northampton Co, PA,,15,71, d. Jul- 9-1825 in Morristown, Belmont Co, OH,,,15,71,168 buried in First Cemetery, Union Twp, Morristown, OH, occupation physician.15
Dr. Alexander Gaston settled with his mother in Canton Twp, Washington Co, PA about 1792. He later moved to Brooke Co, (W)VA, and from there, in about 1800, to near St. Clairsville, Belmont Co, OH, and from there, in about 1811, to Morristown, Belmont Co, OH. Upon his move in 1800, he "was accompanied by two men, who helped him cut the timber and build a cabin on his land. They camped out two weeks under the cover of their wagons, and were often awakened from the howling of wolves which infested the forests. His family consisted of a wife and three children. For several years after their settlement, they went all the way to Washington, Pa., to purchase groceries. At the time that Dr. Gaston's mother settled in Washington, the place contained but four houses. He followed blacksmithing for a couple of years. Read medicine and began practice of the same in 1809. In 1811 he removed to Morristown, where he died in 1825. He had an extensive practice which took in Woodsfield, Middletown and Freeport."71,169
(Note: Hanna, after presenting Alexander's family and lineage as we have it here, describes another account of this Alexander Gaston which states that he was the son of Ephraim Gaston, who was the son of Ebenezer Gaston, who migrated from Ireland with his brother Matthew (died unmarried); that Alexander had a brother Joseph, who settled in southern Indiana, and another brother who settled in West Virginia. Hanna points out that this account probably assumes Joseph, son of John, who married in South Carolina and settled in Butler County, Ohio, to have been the brother of Alexander.)19
He married15,71 Rachel Perry, b. Sep- 1-1773,71,168 (daughter of John Perry and Jane McMillan), d. Sep-14-1833,71,168 buried in First Cemetery, Union Twp, Morristown, OH.69
i. JOHN PERRY GASTON b. Apr-24-1793 in Washington Co, PA,71, buried in Harrison Co, OH. He married Ruth McPherson, Sep-14-1829 in Belmont Co, OH.69
ii. JANE GASTON b. Apr-10-1795 in Washington Co, PA,71,171 d. Nov- 4-1796.71
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-17-1797 in Washington Co, PA,71,171 d. Sep-27-1834.71 He married71 Martha McClure, Jun- 1-1819 in Belmont Co, OH.69
161. iv. EPHRAIM GASTON b. Jun-26-1799.
v. MARY GASTON b. May-20-1801 in Belmont Co, OH,71,171 d. Dec-20-1846,71 resided (settled) in McConnelsville, Morgan Co, OH.71 She married Andrew Tracy, Feb-10-1825 in Belmont Co, OH.69
162. vi. CHARITY GASTON b. Jul-27-1803.
vii. JOSEPH GASTON b. May-14-1805 in Belmont Co, OH,71,171 d. Jul- 9-1833,71 buried in First Cemetery, Union Twp, Morristown, OH. He married71 Nancy Fowler, Apr-11-1830 in Belmont Co, OH.69
viii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 4-1807 in Belmont Co, OH.171
163. ix. MATTHEW GASTON b. Jul- 9-1809.
x. ISAAC GASTON b. Sep-16-1811 in Belmont Co, OH,71, d. Apr-30-1881 in Colonna, Iowa.71
xi. JAMES GASTON b. Nov- 1-1813.19
80. Samuel Kirkpatrick Gaston (24.Hugh4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1795, d. 1835,173 resided 1816, 1817 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation physician.19,15
Thought to have moved west after Oct 1817, as there is no trace of him in New Jersey after that date.15
He married19,15,75 Nancy T. Cooper, 1816,173 b. 1794,173 (daughter of Henry Cooper, Jr. and Rachael Thompson), d. 1866.173
i. HENRIETTA GASTON.
164. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1833.
81. John Kirkpatrick (25.Elizabeth4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married19 Anne Coriell (daughter of Elias Coriell).
165. i. SARAH "SALLY" KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1802.
166. ii. THOMAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1806.
167. iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
168. iv. ELIAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
169. v. JAMES KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1810.
170. vi. LYDIA KIRKPATRICK.
171. vii. JANE KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1814.
172. viii. MARY KIRKPATRICK b. 1816.
ix. JOHN KIRKPATRICK d. age abt 30 in Newark, Essex Co, NJ,,19 never married.19,15,174.
173. x. ANN KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1820.
174. xi. HUGH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1822.
82. Mary Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1755 in Somerset Co, NJ,66 d. aft 1794 in Orange Co, NC. He married Henry Gomer, 1775, b. ca 1750,66 d. 1782 in Somerset Co, NJ.66
175. i. ELIZABETH "BETSY" GOMER b. ca 1775.
83. Sarah Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married Daniel Johnston (son of James Johnston and Jeannette (Jane) Gaston).
i. ANDREW JOHNSTON b.
ii. JANE JOHNSTON b.176.
176. iii. JAMES THOMPSON JOHNSTON.
iv. ELIZABETH JOHNSTON b.176.
v. LAVINIA JOHNSTON b.176.
vi. SARAH ANN JOHNSTON.
vii. DANIEL JOHNSTON b.176.
viii. CAROLINE JOHNSTON b.176.
84. William Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1761, d. Feb-13-1809,22 [WILL: Mar-1-1809 William Gaston of Bedminster, Somerset Co, NJ. Int. inventory $464.97; made by William McEowen & Christian Eoff. Lists girting, parcel of livery lace, brass buckles for chair harness, 15 saddle trees, etc. Notes against Thomas Bangham, Jr & "an order" from David Melick. Sworn to by Naomi Gaston, Adm'x. Apr-22-1810 (File 1423 R)], buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation harness maker.15 He married Naomi Teeple, Dec-10-1782,22 b. Jul-20-1760,17,27 (daughter of John Teeple and Margaret Castner), d. Jun-20-1818,17,27 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ.
177. i. JOHN W. GASTON b. Sep-26-1783.
ii. WALTER GASTON b. Oct-10-1787, d. Nov- 8-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ.
iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Sep-26-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Sep-12-1837 in New York City, NY,22 resided in Savannah, Chatham Co, GA.22
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-30-1789 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov- 3-1827,,22 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 She married22 John Mehelm McCowen, Mar-30-1819, b. 1788 (son of William McCowen and Martha Mehelm), d. Nov- 7-1820, buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
John: Last name sometimes reported as McEowen, but headstone of wife Margaret has it as McCowen.
v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Feb-13-1792 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Apr- 5-1814,22 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
178. vi. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795.
vii. OLIVER B. (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795,22,17 d. Jun-10-1821,17 ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 46, reports death date as Jan 21 1823, the same date he reports for Oliver's brother Abraham. But Oliver's headstone shows date as Jun 10 1821.], buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
viii. ABRAHAM GASTON b. Apr-25-1797,22 d. Jan-21-1823 in Somerset Co, NJ.22
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Aug-27-1800,22 d. Mar-30-1821 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 cause of death catarrhal consumption, education Yale College (admitted, but illness prevented attendance).179
85. Joseph Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- 2-1763,22 d. Oct-16-1796.22 He married Ida Van Arsdale, Mar-1-1781,22 b. Apr-28-1762 (daughter of Philip Van Arsdale and Margaret Stryker).
Ida: Parentage unclear. Daughter of Philip (1734-1776) & Margaret Stryker (1741-1819) Van Arsdale, per "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 46. But father identified as Capt. Isaac Van Arsdale by researchers Max Perry (p. 151) and Anna Reger Gaston, with mother not identified. At age 14, Ida Van Arsdale gained glory in 1776 by following the British who had made a raid at Pluckemin and taken her favorite colt, and she recaptured it. [Anna Reger Gaston, citing Snell's "Hunterdon and Somerset," p. 701]
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Nov-17-1782 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov-11-1857,22 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She married (1) ___ Annin. She married (2) John Collyer, census name John Colyer,149 b. ca 1782 in New Jersey,149 d. Jan- 5-1865, census 1850, 1860 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.
1850 Census, Somerset Co, New Jersey (Bedminster Twp), enumerated on Aug 26 1850:
John Colyer, 68, farmer; Elizabeth Colyer, 68; Andrew J. Gulick, 24, merchant; Eliza C. Gulick, 21; Anna V. Gulick, 6 months. All born in New Jersey.
ii. ISAAC VAN ARSDALE GASTON b. Sep- 9-1784 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Feb-11-1811 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22
Mormon Genealogy, Washington, D.C.--WILLS--Feb. 29, 1812. Isaac Gaston of Bedminister, Somerset Co. Int. Inventory $1,419.20; made by Samuel Baylan & Elias Brown. Includes saddler's tools, leather and unfinished work in shop. Sworn to by Abraham Van Arsdale & Philip H. Van Arsdale, Adm'rs Apr. 22,1812. File 1507R.
He married Jane Van Arsdale, Mar-15-1810.
179. iii. JOHN I. GASTON b. Feb-14-1787.
iv. MARGARET B. GASTON b. Feb-21-1789,22 d. Jul- 9-1804.22
180. v. WILLIAM B. GASTON b. Aug- 9-1791.
vi. SARAH E. GASTON b. Dec- 9-1793,22 d. 1885,22 resided at Basking Ridge, Bernard Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1880 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1860 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She married Garrett Conover, b. ca 1810 in New Jersey, resided at Basking Ridge, Bernard Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1880 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1860 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.
1860 Census, Somerset Co, New Jersey (Bedminster Twp), enumerated on Sep 26 1860:
Garret Conover, 50, b. NJ, shoe maker; Sarah Conover, 65, b. NJ; Elvira B. Annin, 56, b. NJ, seamstress.
1880 Census, Somerset Co, New Jersey (Pluckamin Twp), enumerated on Jun 23 1880:
Garrett Conover, 70, b. NJ, boot & shoemaker; wife Sarah, 86, b. NJ.
vii. LYDIA GASTON b. 1795,22 d. 1800.22
86. Stephen Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-20-1769, d. in Troy, Rensselaer Co, NY. He married Hannah Wright, in Troy, Rensselaer Co, NY,15 b. 1783 in Massachusetts,15 d. in Troy, Rensselaer Co, NY.
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Oct- 1-1808.
ii. SARAH GASTON b. Jan-24-1810.
iii. MINERVA GASTON b. Feb-14-1812.
iv. JULIA GASTON b. Feb-26-1815.
181. v. OGDEN GASTON b. Mar- 5-1821.
87. Isaac Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-25-1773 in New Jersey,22 resided (settled) near Morristown, Morris Co, NJ. He married Anna Hedges, Mar-17-1803.15
i. AUGUSTUS L. GASTON b. May-15-1806,22 d. 1841,22 resided (settled, 1828) in Reily (Oxford), Butler Co, OH.22
182. ii. ELIAS HEDGES GASTON22 b. ca 1819.
88. Margaret Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married Smith Scudder (son of Ephraim Scudder and Martha Spinning), resided originally in New Jersey.
183. i. WILLIAM MANSFIELD SCUDDER22 b. ca 1811.
ii. ISAAC WILLIAMSON SCUDDER b. Nov-24-1816 in Elizabeth, Union Co, NJ,66 d. Sep-10-1881 in Jersey City, Hudson Co, NJ,66 buried St John Episc Church in Elizabeth, Union Co, NJ.66
89. Grace Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 77.)
90. Joseph Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-19-1766,17,28 d. Apr-18-1834,17 ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 47, reports death date as Apr 18 1831. But headstone shows it as Apr 18 1834.], buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA, occupation County Commissioner, military Revolutionary War.
Moved from New Jersey to Northumberland County, PA, where he was an active member of his Presbyterian Church and served as a County Commissioner.
He married28 Margaret Melick, Mar-12-1787,15, [Marriage date of 1789 reported in Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 47.], b. Dec-22-1767,28,48 (daughter of Aaron Moelich and Catherine Miller), d. Feb- 5-1838,28,48 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.17
184. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Mar-30-1790.
ii. CHARLOTTE GASTON b. Sep-22-1792, d. Aug-13-1824,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.180 She married28 James Durham, b. 1785,48 d. 1871,48 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.180
iii. ROSANNA GASTON b. Jun- 7-1795,28 d. Nov-19-1845.28
185. iv. AARON GASTON b. Apr-25-1799.
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Jul-26-1801,28 d. Apr-28-1860 in Philadelphia, PA,28 [Place of death according to Max Perry, p. 145, who reports death date as April 16, 1865.], census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA, resided (settled) in Philadelphia, PA,28 occupation Presbyterian minister.28 He married Rosanna Morris, also known as Rosa Morris,28 1839,28 b. 1803 in Pennsylvania,28,149 d. 1873,28 census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA.
1850 Census, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Kensington Ward), enumerated on Aug 17 1850:
Daniel Gaston, 48, b. Pa, clergyman; Rosanna Gaston, 45, b. Pa; Ann Morris, 74, b. NJ.
vi. MARY GASTON b. May-14-1804 in Pennsylvania,28,48, d. Jul-11-1880,28,48 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,180 census 1870, 1880 in Lewis Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.
vii. ANNE GASTON b. Dec-20-1808. She married28 William Sample.
91. Margaret Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-17-1768,28 d. Sep-10-1807.28 She married Daniel Melick, 1785,28 b. Oct-29-1763,27 (son of Aaron Moelich and Catherine Miller), d. Jul- 9-1815 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 occupation tanner, farmer.15
i. AARON MELICK b. Apr- -1786 in Monmouth Co, NJ, never married.
ii. ELIZABETH MELICK. She married Dennis Van Duyon.
iii. CHARLOTTE MELICK, census name Charlotta Melick, b. ca 1790 in New Jersey,149 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, never married.
186. iv. ROSANNA MELICK28 b. ca 1793.
187. v. JOHN MELICK28 b. ca 1794.
vi. MARY MELICK. She married Peter Sutphen.
vii. DAVID MELICK b. ca 1798 in New Jersey,149 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, occupation farmer,149 never married.
188. viii. WILLIAM MELICK28 b. ca 1800.
ix. DANIEL MELICK b. ca 1802 in New Jersey,149 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, never married.
x. CATHERINE MELICK. She married John Allen.
92. Martha Gaston (30.Joseph4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,27 d. Jan-11-1850 in New Jersey.27 She married28 Elijah Everett, Jan- -1800, b. 1770/80 in Kingwood Township, Hunterdon Co, NJ,28 (son of Samuel Everett and Nancy Thatcher), d. Jan-11-1850,28 resided (settled) in Sparta Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,28 occupation doctor.28
Elijah: Spelling of name may have been Everitt.
i. JOSEPH G. EVERETT15.
ii. MARGARET G. EVERETT15.
93. Phebe Dickson (32.Margaret4, 9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married28 Uriah Church.
189. i. ANDREW DICKSON28.
ii. GASTON CHURCH.
iii. JOHN CHURCH.
iv. VESTA CHURCH.
v. NELSON CHURCH.
vi. DIODATA CHURCH.
94. Alexander Gaston (33.John4, 9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Aug- 2-1772 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,7,35 d. Feb-11-1856 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,11,35 resided (settled 1838) in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,35 occupation merchant & Connecticut Legislature.89
Was captain of Company 6, 21st Connecticut Regiment, in 1797. Was member of Connecticut Legislature 1810-1812 and 1833-1835. Settled in Roxbury, Mass., in 1838. [American Ancestry, Vol V, p. 104]
He married (1) Olive Dunlap, Apr-1-1803,35 b. Jun- 5-1769 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT,27 (daughter of Joshua Dunlap), d. Sep- 7-1814 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.7,11,35 He married (2) Kezia Arnold, Apr- 2-1816,27 b. Nov-10-1779 in Burrillville, Providence Co, RI,,35 (daughter of Aaron Arnold and Rhoda Hunt), d. Jan-30-1856 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA.7,35
Kezia: Alexander Gaston's second wife, Kezia Arnold, was a descendant of Thomas Arnold (b. 1599), a brother of William Arnold, who accompanied Roger Williams to Rhode Island and was one of the 54 original proprietors of the colony, with Thomas joining them in 1654.
Children by Olive Dunlap:
i. ESTHER GASTON b. Jul-17-1804 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,27 d. Jun- 3-1860 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA.27
Had five children, none of whom had any children of their own.
She married William K. Potter, b. Aug- 7-1803,188 d. Sep-10-18__.188
ii. JOHN GASTON b. Aug-30-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,188 d. May-29-1824 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT.27,
Had no children.188
Children by Kezia Arnold:
190. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Oct- 3-1820.
95. Elijah L. Gaston (35.Robert4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun- 9-1793. He married190 Eunice Bennett.
i. LAWRENCE T. GASTON b. Mar- 9-1826 in Ohio.190
96. Robert Kasson, Jr. (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr-10-1773, d. Sep- -1846 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY.191
191. i. THOMPSON KASSON b. Oct- 2-1795.
ii. LOVINA KASSON b. Mar-11-1797.92
192. iii. JAMES KASSON b. Dec-28-1798.
iv. NANCY KASSON b. Jun-23-1801.92 She married191 (1) ___ Harback. She married191 (2) ___ Tuller.
193. v. CHARLES B. KASSON b. Feb-23-1803.
194. vi. MASON G. KASSON b. May-12-1804.
vii. ELIZABETH KASSON b. May-26-1806.92
viii. MARGARET KASSON b. Feb-10-1808.92
195. ix. EPHRAIM KASSON b. Apr- 1-1810.
x. NATHAN B. KASSON b. May-12-1814.92
97. William Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1775,191 d. 1813,191 occupation wheelwright.191 He married Sally Richards, 1792,191 b. 1776,191 d. 1840.191
196. i. ARCHIBALD KASSON b. Jan- 7-1793.
ii. JOSEPH KASSON b. 1799,191 d. 1833. He married Patience A. Sanders, 1812.192
iii. HIRAM KASSON b. 1801,192 d. 1833.192
197. iv. NELSON KASSON b. 1803.
98. Harvey Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec- 4-1781,192 d. Aug-26-1836 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY.192 He married Wealthy Burt, Oct-11-1803,192 b. Apr-14-1788.192
i. JAMES KASSON b. Apr-16-1805.192
ii. ALVIN KASSON b. Dec- 2-1806,192 occupation farmer.192
iii. SMIRA KASSON b. Feb- 1-1809.192 She married ___ Green.
iv. DONEY KASSON b. Mar- 9-1811.192
198. v. CHAUNCEY C. KASSON b. Dec-15-1812.
vi. AUSTIN KASSON b. Feb-22-1815.192
vii. SALLY ANN KASSON b. Feb-23-1817,192 d. Jul-13-1852.192
199. viii. AMASA C. KASSON b. Jan-21-1819.
200. ix. GEORGE B. KASSON b. Apr-17-1822.
x. LYDIA KASSON b. May-29-1824.192
xi. HARVEY Z. KASSON b. Jun-26-1827,192 resided in Gloversville, Fulton Co, NY,192 occupation manufacturer of gloves and mittens.192
xii. ALEXANDER J. KASSON b. Apr- 5-1829,192 occupation manufacturer of gloves, etc.192
99. Alexander Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- -1792. He married Susan Briggs, Apr- -1812,192 b. Jul- 3-1792.192
i. SAMANTHA M. KASSON b. Jan-21-1814.192
201. ii. MARVIN KASSON b. Nov-24-1815.
iii. WATSON KASSON b. Dec- 3-1817,192 occupation farmer.192
iv. JANE M. KASSON b. Jan- 3-1820.192
v. JOSEPH KASSON b. Sep- 5-1822.192
vi. SUSAN N. KASSON b. Nov-18-1825,192 d. Oct-25-1853. She married192 ___ Sunderland.
vii. MELVINA KASSON b. Feb-23-1827.194
100. Alexander Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-14-1783 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,91 d. Jun-23-1865 in Lorain Co, OH,38 buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.38
Went to Danby, NY as a young man, took up government land and developed a farm, which he sold in 1834 when his family moved near Oberlin, OH. He was a militia captain in New York and active in the Congregational Church.
He married (1) Lydia Belcher, Sep-21-1807,38 b. Aug- 2-1786 (daughter of Joseph Belcher and Lucy Hall), d. Apr- 8-1848, buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.38
He married (2) Harriet Pearse, Oct-12-1849.38
Children by Lydia Belcher:
i. ANDREW GASTON b. Feb- 4-1810,38 d. Dec-23-1831 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.38
ii. LUCETTA GASTON b. Jul-15-1811,38 d. Jul-11-1813 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.38
202. iii. LUCY MARIAH GASTON b. Jan-19-1813.
203. iv. GEORGE BELCHER GASTON b. Nov- 8-1814.
204. v. MARIA GASTON b. Oct-14-1816.
vi. ELVIRA GASTON b. Jul-15-1818 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,38 d. Jan-25-1914 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,179,38 buried in Tabor, Fremont Co, Iowa.179,38
Elvira Gaston and her husband, Lester Ward Platt, worked as missionaries with the Pawnee Indians in Nebraska for years. There is much written about her because, as one descendant observed, "she made history." [Bob Gaston, Longview, WA]
"Elvira Gaston Platt was born in Danby, New York, on July 16, 1818. Her family moved to Ohio in 1834 and she became a student at Oberlin College the following year. She later taught at a rural school in Russia Township, Ohio. In 1841 she married Lester Ward Platt and moved with him to Nebraska to teach the Pawnee Indians. Both were devoted to the causes of abolishing slavery and whiskey. After her husband died in 1875, Elvira Gaston Platt taught in the Industrial School for Indians in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and served as matron in a school for Indians in Geoa, Nebraska. She died on January 24, 1914."
[ http://www.oberlin.edu/archive/holdings/finding/RG30/SG199/biography.html ]
"Elvira Gaston Platt, teacher and abolitionist and underground railroad worker, was born in Danby, Thompkins County, New York, on July 15, 1818. She studied at Oberlin College in Ohio in 1835 and 1836 and began teaching in area rural schools. In 1841 Elvira Gaston married Lester Ward Platt and in 1842 they began teaching Pawnee Indians in the western territory, in what is now Nebraska. In 1847 they moved to Fremont County, Iowa, turned to farming, and began assisting fleeing slaves on the underground railroad.
In 1861 Elvira Platt returned to teaching Pawnee children, which she continued until 1872 with a few interruptions for Civil War work. Lester Platt died in 1875 and Elvira Platt joined the staff of the Industrial School for Indians in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in 1880. Three years later she became matron of a new school for Native Americans in Genoa, Nebraska, where she worked until she retired in 1887. She lived in Tabor, Iowa, until 1897, when she moved to Oberlin, Ohio. She died there on January 25, 1914." [ http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/iwa/findingaids/html/PlattElvira.htm ]
"Elvira Gaston Platt, aged 95 years, died at Oberlin, Ohio, Sunday, January 25, of pneumonia, where a funeral service was read. The body was then brought to Tabor for interment in the Gaston lot where her husband and other relatives lie. Services were held here on Wednesday, January 28, conducted by Rev. C. F. Fisher.
Elvira Gaston Platt was a sister of George B. Gaston, one of the founders of Tabor College, and an aunt of Ed Rossiter, Loren Hume and Harry Gilbert of Tabor. Coming from her native state, New York, she and her father were pioneers of the Oberlin colony, where she was married in 1841, to Lester W. Platt, with whom she soon afterward moved to Nebraska. Here at different intervals, in the Pawnee Indian Nation school she taught and also in the Carlyle school in Pennsylvania, all her life being spent in educational work.
At Percival (then known as Civil Bend) she lived, her home a "shrine" to young and old.
She served in the Sanitary Commission during the civil war, and was later matron of the Soldiers’ Orphan Home at Cedar Falls.
Mrs. Platt made her home in Tabor for many years and made her life felt here for uplift. For the last seventeen years she has lived at Oberlin. In the 95 years of her life, Mrs. Platt has combined manifold experiences, and has seen and helped in the upbuilding of our western country.
She was known throughout many states as a woman of great power. A memorial service will be given in her honor here at Tabor."
[ http://iagenweb.org/fremont/obits/platt_elvira-hiatt_elizabeth1914.htm ]
She married38 Lester Ward Platt, May- 6-1841 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH, d. 1875, buried in Tabor, Fremont Co, Iowa.196
205. vii. EMALA FAIRCHILD GASTON b. Jun- 5-1820.
viii. ALONZO GASTON b. Dec-22-1821 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,38 d. Jan- 4-1892 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,38 [Death date of Jan 1891 has also been reported.], buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.38 He married Amanda E. Stratton, Oct-13-1844.38
206. ix. CELIA H. GASTON b. Jan-16-1824.
x. EDWARD P. BRADSTREET GASTON38 [adopted] b. Jun- 6-1830, occupation attorney.38
Edward Bradstreet Gaston was adopted by Alexander & Lydia Belcher Gaston when he was about age 8, after his mother died. Edward wrote a letter at age 95 telling of his life with the Gastons. He practiced law in Cincinnati, Ohio until age 90.38
101. Heman Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-13-1786 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 d. Aug-10-1855 in Lorain Co, OH.38,
Spelling "Heman" is correct.
He married Mary Wheeler, Jan- 1-1812,,197 b. Aug-29-1793 in New York,197,38 (daughter of Elizur Wheeler and Olive Kasson), d. Oct-16-1838.197,38
i. CAROLINE S. GASTON b. Oct-19-1812,197 d. Feb- 8-1817 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.,197
ii. WILLIAM WHEELER GASTON b. Sep-22-1814,197 d. Dec- 1-1845.197 He married197 Mary Sinnott.
iii. NANCY GASTON b. Jul-24-1816,197 d. Dec- -1816 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.
iv. GEORGE RODNEY GASTON b. Nov- 7-1817.197 He married Louisa Bissell, Dec-29-1840.197
vi. BEVEL HULL GASTON b. Sep-30-1821,197 d. Feb- 1-1823.197
207. vii. HENRY ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 9-1823.
viii. ANN ELIZA GASTON b. Nov-11-1825,197 d. Sep-21-1839.197
ix. EMILY CAROLINE GASTON b. Feb- 7-1828,197 d. Jan-12-1856.197 She married197 ___ Smith.
x. EDGAR KASSON GASTON b. May-10-1830,197 d. Oct-19-1872.197
208. xi. JAMES KASSON GASTON b. Apr-17-1832.
xii. ELLEN FRANCES GASTON b. Nov- 8-1834, d. Aug- 1-1846.203
102. Ebenezer Gaston, census name Ebenner Gaston (38.David4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 6-1782 in Old Stockbridge, Berkshire Co, MA,101 d. Jan-27-1863,101 census 1860 in Sadsbury Twp, Crawford Co, PA, census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY, occupation mason. He married36 Hannah Hammond, b. Jul-14-1790,101 d. Oct-11-1853,101 census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY.
209. i. EDMUND WAITE GASTON b. Aug-16-1809.
ii. NELSON GASTON b. Mar-21-1816,36 d. Sep-13-1846.36
iii. MARIETTA GASTON b. Jul- 2-1818,36 d. Jun-28-1861.36
iv. SUSANNA GASTON b. Sep- 5-1821,36 d. Oct-21-1859.36
v. GRACE GASTON b. Jun-14-1824.36
vi. LUTHER S. GASTON b. Feb-14-1828.36
vii. SCHUYLER MOSES GASTON b. Feb-14-1828,36 d. Apr-13-1906.36
103. Esther Jane Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1770, d. 1814.205
Moved with her husband in 1806 to Israel Twp, Preble Co, OH, presumably because they were opposed to slavery. They helped to found the Hopewell Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Israel Twp that the Rev. Alexander Porter later pastored. Esther Gaston and Ebenezer Elliott had eight children, and Ebenezer had two more wives, Margaret Mitchell and Nancy Henry.205
She married Ebenezer Elliott, ca 1794 in Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC.
i. JOSEPH GASTON ELLIOTT b. 1795,205 d. 1834.205
ii. JAMES ELLIOTT b. 1797,205 d. 1883.205 He married205 Sarah Boyd, b. 1800,205 d. 1880.205
iii. JANET ELLIOTT b. 1800,205 d. 1881.205 She married205 (1) Ebenezer Elliott Douglas, Sr., b. 1794,205 d. 1837.205 She married205 (2) William Hood, d. 1850.205
iv. WILLIAM ELLIOTT b. 1801,205 d. 1854.205 He married205 Sarah Hearn, b. 1815,205 d. 1871.205
v. JOHN ELLIOTT b. 1803,205 d. 1875.205 He married205 (1) Mary Latta, b. 1796,205 d. 1837.205 He married205 (2) Margaret McMillen, b. 1813,205 d. 1858.205
vi. EBENEZER NEWTON ELLIOTT b. 1805,205 d. 1892.205 He married205 Ann J. Willis, d. 1892.205
vii. HUGH ELLIOTT b. 1808,205 d. 1894.205 He married205 (1) Henrietta Brower, b. 1816,205 d. 1850.205 He married205 (2) Elizabeth Avaline Robertson, b. 1826,205 d. 1909.205
viii. ISAIAH ELLIOTT b. 1810,205 d. 1897.205 He married205 Isabella Davidson, b. 1807,205 d. 1886.205
104. John Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 2-1772 in Chester Co, SC,109 d. Jul- 6-1847.109 He married109,105 Anne Porter, b. Jul- 7-1782,109 (daughter of John Porter and Mary Brownfield), d. bef 1844.109
i. JOSEPH ALEXANDER GASTON b. Mar- 4-1810 in Chester Co, SC,109,17 d. Feb-11-1868 in South Carolina,109,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.17,105 He married109,105 Elizabeth Wylie, b. Oct- 2-1810,17 d. Oct-11-1850,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC.17,105
105. Alexander Walker (40.Jane5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 49.)
106. Robert Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774 in Greene Co, GA,104 [But researcher Dallin S. Nielsen, a direct descendant, reports birth in Rowan Co, NC.], d. Apr- 6-1829 in Autauga Co, AL.104 He married Abalena ___, in Morgan Co, AL,104 [But researcher Dallin Nielsen, a direct descendant, reports marriage in 1799 in Greene Co, GA.].
210. i. HUDSON GASTON b. 1813.
107. Jane Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 8-1777 in Greene Co, GA,104 [Birthplace also reported as Lancaster Co, PA. ( http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/reid.htm )], d. 1860. She married,207 George Reid II, b. 1774 in Rowan Co, NC,207 (son of George Reid), d. 1853.207
George: Served in the Georgia House of Representatives from Jackson Co, GA as of Jan 12 1801; was Justice of the Inferior Court of Gwinnett Co, GA from Feb 2 1819 to 1821; and was Senator from Gwinnett Co GA 1819-1821 and in Extra Session of 1821. He was among the first settlers in Carroll Co, GA upon its organization in 1826. [The Reid Family, by L. D. McPherson, a Reid descendant, 1938; cited at http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/reid.htm ]207
i. JACK REID208.
ii. JOSEPH REID207.
211. iii. RHESA REID b. 1797.
212. iv. ASA REID b. 1799.
v. ANN REID208 b. 1800 in Greene Co, GA,207 d. 1850.207 She married207 John McMullen.
vi. CATHERINE "KATIE" REID208 b. 1803 in Jackson Co, GA.208,207 She married207 (1) Elisha Earnest. She married207 (2) Isaac Wigginton.
213. vii. GEORGE W. REID b. 1803.
214. viii. JANE "JENNIE" REID b. 1805.
ix. MATTHEW GASTON REID207 b. 1806,208,207 d. 1876.207 He married207 (1) Martha J. ___. He married207 (2) Frances Ann Nix.
x. MARGARET ANNIE REID208 b. Feb-29-1809,208 d. 1862.207 She married207 John Lewis Hamilton, d. 1874.207
xi. JOHN S. REID b. 1810.207
xii. ROBERT ALEXANDER REID b. Apr- 3-1811,208 d. 1885.207 He married207 Nancy K. Adrian.
xiii. ELIZABETH REID208 b. 1814.207 She married207 Wilson Brown.
215. xiv. THOMAS HENRY REID b. 1816.
108. Alexander Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1780 in Rowan Co, NC, [Reid Family Genealogy, on file at Daughters of the American Revolution Library, Washington, DC, gives birthplace as Greene Co, GA.], d. 1837 in Greene Co, GA.104,209 He married Sallie Garner, Dec- 9-1802 in Greene Co, GA,209 b. 1774.209
i. JOHN GARNER GASTON b. 1803 in Greene Co, GA.209
216. ii. MATTHEW GASTON b. 1805.
iii. WILLIAM T. GASTON b. 1814 in Greene Co, GA.209
109. Matthew Gaston, Jr. (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1785,104 d. in Jackson, Butts Co, GA.104 He married104 Mary ___.
i. MARY ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH JANE GASTON.
217. iii. JOHNNIE MATTHEW GASTON.
110. John Gaston (42.Alexander5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), d. 1806 in Abbeville Co, SC.6 He married Unknown.
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1802 in Abbeville Co, SC,66 d. ca 1872 in Ouachita Co, AR.66
Moved to the Butler/Wilcox County area of Alabama ca 1822/1823.6
He married66 Elizabeth Wardlaw, b. 1797 in South Carolina,66 d. in Arkansas.
218. ii. DAVID GASTON b. Mar-28-1802.
111. James Knox Gaston (46.John5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 2-1777 in Richburg, Chester Co, SC,33 d. 1809 in Logan Co, KY, [A death date of 1802 is reported by some researchers.], buried in Ferguson-Graham Cemetery, Hwy 1083, Sugar Grove Rd, Sharer, Butler Co, KY,33 resided (settled, abt 1800) in Logan Co, KY.110 He married110 Isabella Bigham, 1798,33 b. 1780 in Chester Co, SC,33 (daughter of James Bigham and Nancy "Jane" McFadden).
219. i. JAMES RUSSELL GASTON b. 1800.
112. Esther Waugh Gaston128 (46.John5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar- 3-1792 in Chester Co, SC,33 d. Feb-21-1854 in Rome Twp, Jefferson Co, IL,17,33 buried in Baldridge Cemetery, Rome Twp, Jefferson Co, IL.33 She married Samuel Gaston, ca 1806 in South Carolina,128 b. Oct-16-1787 in Chester Co, SC,128 (son of William Gaston and Mary McClure), d. Mar- 1-1826 in Jefferson Co, IL,128,46,126 buried in Baldridge Cemetery, Rome Twp, Jefferson Co, IL,33 resided (settled, in 1819) in Marion Co, IL.46,126
Samuel Gaston's wife is identified in the DAR Lineage Book only as Esther Gaston, her parentage not stated. Other sources show her to be his second cousin, as both were great-grandchildren of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon.
220. i. WILLIAM GASTON.
113. Stephen Gaston (47.James5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,12 d. 1837.12
Probably moved to Ohio with his sisters about 1801 or 1802, and from there to Tennessee and Illinois.8,47
He married Mary Davidson, b. 1778,12 d. 1858.12
i. ESTHER GASTON b. Nov-12-1802 in South Carolina,12 d. Mar-27-1853 in California.12 She married William Wesley Maddux, b. Dec-28-1803,12 d. Feb- 8-1885.12
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1804 in Tennessee.12
221. iii. WILLIAM DAVIDSON GASTON b. Feb-22-1808.
iv. AGNES GASTON b. ca 1814 in Illinois.12 She married12 Thomas S. Dennis, b. 1814,12 d. 1860.12
222. v. STEPHEN HARVEY GASTON b. Nov-30-1818.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. ca 1820 in Illinois.12
vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. ca 1821 in Illinois.12
114. John Gaston Walker (49.Esther5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Jane McCain, 1798.115
223. i. WILLIAM WALKER.
115. John Brown Gaston (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-23-1791,46 d. Jan-24-1864. He married46 Mary Buford "Polly" McFadden, also known as Polly Buford,118 also known as Mary Beaufort McFadden,46 b. 1805, d. 1886.212
224. i. JAMES MCFADDEN GASTON b. 1824.
225. ii. JOSEPH LUCIUS GASTON.
226. iii. JOHN BROWN GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 4-1834.
227. iv. T. CHALMERS GASTON b. 1847.
116. Narcissa Gaston (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-17-1792,46 d. Aug-22-1871, buried in Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Chester Co, SC. She married46 Samuel Lewis, Nov- 2-1819.
Narcissa Gaston was the second wife of Samuel Lewis.
228. i. MARGARET ELIZA LEWIS.
117. Hugh McClure123 (51.John5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married123 Margaret Crane.
229. i. ELIZA JANE MCCLURE.
118. Hannah McClure (53.William5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 64.)
119. David D. Rosborough (55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- -1815 in South Carolina,125 census 1900 in Belton, Bell Co, TX, resided (settled) in Texas.14
230. i. EDWARD E. ROSBOROUGH b. Jul- -1847.
120. Alexander M. Rosborough (55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1817 in South Carolina,149 census 1880 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, census 1850 in El Dorado Co, CA, resided (settled, in 1848) in Eureka, Humboldt Co, CA,14 occupation lawyer, judge,14,,184. He married Ellen N. ___, b. ca 1842 in Maine,214 census 1880, 1910, 1920 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA.
1870 Census, Siskiyou County, California (City of Yreka), enumerated on Sep 3 1870:
Alex M. Rosborough, 54, b. South Carolina, occupation District Judge; Ellen N, 28, b. Maine; Alex J, 5. b. California; Fanny J, 1, b. California.
1880 Census, Alameda Co, California (City of Oakland), enumerated on Jun 8 1880:
A. M. Roxborough, 65, b. SC, lawyer; wife Ellen P, 37, b. Maine; son Alexander J, 14, b. California; dau Fannie J, 11, b. California; son Joseph J, 4, b. California.
1910 Census, Alameda Co, California (Brooklyn Twp, City of Oakland), enumerated on Apr 30 1910 at 1769 (or 1767) Nineteenth Ave:
Head of household Alexander J. Rosborough, 44, single, secretary at power & light company; mother Ellen N, 65, widowed, mother of 6 children (2 still living); brother Joseph J, 34, single, real estate broker; nephew Robert R. Gardiner, 16, b. Calif; nephew Alexander R. Gardiner, 15, b. Calif; help Lee Lim, 13, b. China, kitchen helper.
1920 Census, Alameda Co, California (Brooklyn Twp, City of Oakland), enumerated on Jan 7 1920 at 2531 19th Ave:
Ellen N. Rosborough, 77, b. Maine, widowed; son Alic J. Rosborough, 54, b. Calif, single, manager at power company; grandson Alexander Gardiner, 24, b. Calif, single; sister-in-law Fannie Raynes, 84, b. Maine, widowed.
i. ALEXANDER J. ROSBOROUGH, census name Alic J. Rosborough, b. ca 1865 in California,214 census 1880, 1910, 1920 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, occupation 1910 secretary at power & light company.
ii. FANNY J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1869 in California,214 d. bef Apr 1910,215 census 1880 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA.
iii. JOSEPH J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1876 in California,184 census 1880, 1910 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, occupation 1910 real estate broker.215
121. William Gaston, Jr. (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 1-1786 in Chester Co, SC,128 d. Sep-21-1869 in Jefferson Co, IL,128 military War of 1812.46 He married Jane "Jennet" McMillan, ca 1813 in South Carolina.128
231. i. SAMUEL GASTON.
122. Samuel Gaston (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 112.)
123. John Rankin Gaston (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1790 in Chester Co, SC,33 d. 1840 in Bond Co, IL,33 resided (settled, by 1833) in Bond Co, IL.46 He married Elizabeth Carson, Dec-28-1816 in Christian Co, KY,128 b. Sep- 6-1794,30 d. Dec- 5-1872,17 buried in Culp Cemetery, Longview, McDonald Co, MO.33
i. WILLIAM C. GASTON b. Dec-24-1817 in Christian Co, KY,33 d. Aug- 2-1904 in Miller Co, MO,33 buried in Eldon Cemetery, Miller Co, MO.33
ii. JOHN CARSON GASTON b. 1827 in Christian Co, KY,33 d. Jan- 8-1847 in Mexico.
iii. ANDREW J. GASTON b. 1841 in Montgomery Co, IL,33 d. Feb-10-1864 in Paducah, McCracken Co, KY,33 military Co K, 122nd Illinois Infk, Civil War.
124. Robert Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-17-1787,133 d. Jul-13-1848.133 He married133 Ann Wakefield, b. ca 1792 in South Carolina,214 census 1870 in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC, resided originally in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC.133
i. ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH "SALLIE" GASTON. She married133 Andrew Cowan.
iii. ROSA GASTON. She married133 William Pearson.
232. iv. WILLIAM ROSBOROUGH GASTON b. Dec-25-1827.
125. James Nickels "Jimmy" Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1789 in Lancaster Co, SC, d. Jul-31-1876,217 buried in Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC,217 resided since 1800 in Spartanburg, Spartanburg Co, SC,217 military War of 1812.217
"James Nickels Gaston donated much land around Reidville for the erection and establishment of the Reidville Male and Female colleges. He was a public-spirited and generous hearted citizen with high standing in the community."217
He married133 Mary Powers, b. 1789,217 d. 1860,217 [Death date either Apr or Aug 28 1860.].
233. i. HAMILTON ROSBOROUGH GASTON b. Feb-10-1811.
234. ii. AMZI WILLIFORD GASTON b. Apr-16-1813.
235. iii. THOMAS PINKNEY GASTON b. Apr-29-1815.
236. iv. SARAH ADELINE GASTON b. 1817.
v. JAMES A. GASTON d. young, cause of death killed by a tree.218
vi. WILLIAM POWERS GASTON218.
vii. JOSEPH JAMES GASTON218.
126. Hugh Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-29-1790.133 He married133 ___ McElrath.
237. i. HARVEY GASTON.
238. ii. EMILY GASTON.
iii. MARY JANE GASTON.
Married an Italian. Had no children.137
127. Samuel Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- 4-1798,137 d.