Jean (John) Gaston of France was the first known ancestor of
our Gaston family. There has been much
speculation regarding his ancestry, ranging from descendancy from the Grand
Duke of Tuscany to the possibility that he belonged to the Bourbon family and
was a cousin to King Louis XIV of
"That the Gaston family was a French family there is no
doubt. As early as 1445, 'two gentlemen'
of the name of Gaston, living at or near LaMothe St. Didier, became interested
in what were believed to be wonderful cures wrought at the shrine of St. Andrew
in that town, especially because one of these Gaston sons was there cured of
the disease known as 'St. Anthony's Fire.'
In consequence, they devoted their property to the work, and, seven
other persons assisting, built a large hospital. The hospitallers soon founded the
'Congregation of Regular Canons of the Order of Anthony,' and one of the
Gastons was made Grand Master of the Order.
(See McClinton and Strong's "Cyclopaedia of Biblical Literature"
(1894), Vol. I, p. 252). The name was
There are numerous Gaston family crests, or coats of arms,
pertaining to Gastons of various origins.
Burke's "General Armory of
An excellent resource pertaining to Gaston origins and related information is the website Planet Gaston, found at http://gaston.siteperso.net/. Some Gaston researchers have attempted to show tenuous royal connections and paint a romanticized picture of the family history, and it is therefore likely that some embellishment of the facts has occurred over the years. A highly informative treatment of the facts and myths of the Gaston legend can be found at http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/_images/Gaston_Legend.pdf . The Gaston DNA Project, which affords participants an opportunity to find their common heritage through DNA testing and sharing of information, is found at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gaston
This is a genealogy of the descendants of this Jean (John) Gaston, with particular emphasis on those branches of the family tree closest to the principal compilers, Samuel David Gaston and Geneva Gaston Brown. The information presented here was obtained from countless sources over many years of research. Wherever possible, the original source is documented, but the reader can rest assured that even when a source is not specified, the compilers were highly confident of the accuracy of the information before including it in this genealogy. By its very nature, this collection is a work in progress, and additional information regarding the early generations, as well as the current one, will be added as it becomes known. In that vein, the reader is invited to inform us of any errors or additional information for future updates. [Samuel David Gaston (1934-2012) & Geneva Gaston Brown (1926-2001), principal compilers; R. L. Brown, editor]
Agnes: Some researchers identify Agnes as possibly the daughter of Phillip of Navarre, and it is also said that she was accused of witchcraft in 1650 [per "Surnames of Scotland" by George F. Black]. But other researchers have convincingly refuted those assertions, and have further cast doubt that the wife of Jean Gaston was named Agnes at all. Although we side more with the skeptics, we nonetheless report Jean Gaston's wife as Agnes simply out of tradition.,
2. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1642.
3. ii. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1645.
iii. ALEXANDER GASTON,
b. 1648 in
Gaston, along with his brothers, John and William, went to
2. William Gaston
(1.Jean1), b. ca 1642 in
William Gaston (b. 1642), along with his brothers, John and
Alexander, went to
He married Unknown.
4. i. (MALE) GASTON.
3. John Gaston (1.Jean1), b. ca 1645 in Scotland, d. in Ireland, emigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3
John Gaston (1645) or his father John (1600) was listed on the
hearth-money rate list at Magheragall, Upper Massereene Barony, in the extreme
He married Unknown.
5. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1680.
6. ii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1687.
7. iii. MARY GASTON b. 1695.
8. iv. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1700.
9. v. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1703.
10. vi. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1714.
4. (Male) Gaston (2.William2, 1.Jean1). He married in
11. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Feb- 5-1702.
5. William Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1680 in Cloughwater, County Antrim, Ireland, ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, reports birth date as about 1680-90; "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175, reports it as 1685.], d. ca 1770 in Ireland,3,,,
William's brothers, John, Hugh, Joseph and Alexander, arrived
He married3 Olivet Lemon, also known as Mary Lemmon, b. 1688 in Scotland,12, d. 1752.12
Olivet: Name given as Mary Lemmon (sic) in Colonial Families of the United States, Vol III, p. 175.
12. i. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 4-1703.
13. ii. MARY GASTON b. 1712.
14. iii. JANET GASTON b. 1714.
15. iv. MARTHA GASTON b. 1718.
16. v. ROBERT GASTON b. 1720.
17. vi. HUGH GASTON b. 1722.
18. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1727.
19. viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1727/30.
20. ix. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1735.
6. Hugh Gaston, also known as Hugh of Peapack (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1687 in County Antrim, Ireland,, d. Dec-23-1772 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,14,, buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17,14
Hugh, along with his brothers, William, John and Joseph,
He married ca 1718,15
21. i. JOHN GASTON, SR. b. ca 1719.
22. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1720.
23. iii. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1725.
Probably the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but may have been his granddaughter. She was living in Somerset Co, NJ at the time she was married.
24. v. HUGH GASTON, JR. b. 1734.
25. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1737.
vii. REBECCA GASTON b. Dec-12-1739 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 d. Jun-23-1819.
Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and thus the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he may actually have been their grandfather.
She married19 William Logan, b. Mar-18-1736,15 d. Jan- 8-1814,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation Captain.19
viii. JAMES GASTON.
Presumed to be a son of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), as a James Gaston, probably a brother to John Gaston of New Jersey (b. ca 1719), was listed as a subscriber to the fund for building Allentown Church parsonage, 1758, in connection with that of John Gaston of Upper Freehold. However, that James Gaston may actually have been the one baptized on Mar 28 1742 as the eldest son of John Gaston (b. ca 1719).
name of James Gaston appears as a member of the congregation of
ix. ALEXANDER GASTON b. in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.23
7. Mary Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. 1695 in
From "Family Records or Genealogies of the First Settlers of the Passaic Valley," p. 68: "James Cauldwell, with his wife Mary, emigrated from Ireland, about the year 1732, when his son William was six years old, and settled on Long Hill, on lot No. 30, addition of the Elizabethtown lots, which it appears he drew. From tradition among the families, it would seem, and I am led to believe, that James Cauldwell's wife was Mary Gaston, sister of the father of Hugh Gaston, of Peapack. Hugh Gaston was brother of Capt. William Logan's wife, and probably also brother of the wife of Thomas Kirkpatrick, at Liberty Corner. His children called him Uncle Hugh Gaston, and Mr. Gaston, Mrs. Logan and the old Kirkpatrick family claimed kin to the Cauldwell family."
26. i. WILLIAM CAULDWELL b. ca 1726.
8. Joseph Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1700 in County Antrim, Ireland,4,15 d. Apr- -1777 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4,15,22 resided aft abt 1720 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4 resided until abt 1720 in Ireland,4,22 occupation farmer.15
Joseph, along with his brothers, William, John and Hugh,
He married22 1725/28,15 Margaret ___, b. ca 1705,4 d. Aug-31-1795 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,4,15 buried in Jellow Frame Presbyterian Church, Frelinghuysen, Sussex Co, NJ.
Margaret: Margaret Gaston lived with her son, Joseph, after the death of her husband, Joseph Gaston in 1777.15
GASTON b. 1726 in Bernards
27. ii. MARGARET GASTON b. 1728.
28. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Nov-10-1730.
29. iv. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-28-1732.
30. v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Nov-10-1738.
vi. PRISCILLA GASTON, also known as Purcilla Gaston,27 also known as Prucilla Gaston, b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,27 resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27 She married Sep-24-1771 in New Jersey,27,28 Daniel McCain (son of James McCain), resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27
31. vii. ANN GASTON.
9. John Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1703 in County Antrim, Ireland,7,28 d. Mar-29-1783 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT.7,28
John Gaston was born in
He married ca 1735 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28,6 Janet Thomson, b. 1711 in Scotland,28 (daughter of Alexander Thomson and Mary ___), d. Nov- 3-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.,28
32. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-19-1738.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. May- 3-1739 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 [Birth date of Oct 19 1738 has also been reported, but that appears to be his sister Margaret's.], d. 1760,7,28 [Died of disease contracted in the French & Indian Wars.], cause of death disease contracted in the French & Indian Wars,28 occupation Army officer,7 military French & Indian Wars,28 never married.
33. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-10-1750.
Emigrated to American with his brother John about 1720-26
and settled at
Mary: Emigrated to
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Aug- 9-1744,33 d. Aug- 2-1787 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Road Cemetery, Richmond, MA,36 [Headstone carries the title "Captain," presumably from Revolutionary War.]. He married34 Naomi Tilden, b. Sep- 9-1743,34 d. May- 6-1822.34
34. ii. JOHN GASTON b. Mar- 3-1746.
35. iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Dec-28-1747.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Sep-20-1749.33
36. v. JANET A. "JENNIE" GASTON b. Dec-27-1750.
vi. MARGARET GASTON b. Jan- 5-1753,33 d. Mar- 8-1807.34
37. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-28-1754.
38. viii. DAVID GASTON b. Jan-13-1757.
ix. THOMAS GASTON b. Mar-16-1759,33 d. 1823,26 military Corporal - Revolutionary War.26 He married34 Sarah Chatman.
x. PHEBE GASTON, also known as Phoebe Gaston, b. Apr-22-1765,33 d. Dec- 7-1835.34 She married (1) Jun-11-1788 in Berkshire Co, MA, John Bacon, Jr.. She married27 (2) Elisha ___.
11. Alexander Gaston
(4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1),
b. Feb- 5-1702 in
Although other researchers allow that only Alexander Gaston's (b. 1702) four oldest children emigrated to America, at least one, Edward H. Couey of Scotts Mills, OR, contends that all six did so, settling in Chester and York Counties, SC. As he cites specific circumstances for this, we provide that information under this Alexander's son Alexander (b. ca 1750).
He married in
i. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1733 in Ireland.6
39. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Oct- 8-1738.
40. iii. JANE GASTON b. 1740.
41. iv. MATTHEW GASTON b. ca 1748.
42. v. ALEXANDER GASTON b. ca 1750.
vi. MARY LOUISA GASTON b. bef 1755 in Ireland.6
12. John Gaston, also known as Justice John Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 4-1703 in Ireland [Headstone has birth date as 1700, while "Gaston of Chester" states ca 1710.], d. 1782 in South Carolina,17,3,, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled 1751/52) at Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC,3 immigrated 1749 to Pennsylvania,3, occupation farmer, surveyor, Justice in South Carolina.13
Emigrated first to
An account of Justice John Gaston is found in the historical
novel "Polly of the Pines," by Adele Eugenia Thompson, published in
1906 by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Company.
Polly was Mary Dunning, a brave girl of the
He married3 in Ireland,13 Esther Waugh, b. 1715 in Ireland,17,,13 d. 1789,17,3,43 buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 occupation school teacher.13
43. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Aug-29-1738.
44. ii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1741.
45. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jun- 5-1743.
46. iv. JOHN GASTON b. Jun-24-1745.
47. v. JAMES GASTON b. Apr-15-1747.
vi. ROBERT GASTON
b. Mar-11-1749 in
in Revolutionary War battle at Hanging Rock,
48. vii. HUGH GASTON b. Mar-12-1751.
Aug-24-1753,44,45 d. 1781,45 [Hanna's "Ohio Valley
Genealogies," p. 41, reports that Alexander Gaston was killed at the
Battle of Hanging Rock, August 1781. But
"Heritage History of Chester County, SC," p. 196, states that he
contracted smallpox at Wright's Bluff on
ix. DAVID GASTON b. Jul- 7-1755,45,44 d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.45,44
Killed in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging Rock, South Carolina, along with his two brothers, Robert and Ebenezer.44
x. EBENEZER GASTON b. Sep-15-1757,45,44 d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.45,44
in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging Rock,
49. xi. ESTHER GASTON b. Oct- -1760.
50. xii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jan-22-1763.
13. Mary Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1712 in Ireland,, d. 1802,46 [DAR Lineage Book (p. 103) states her death date as 1800.], buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled) in South Carolina.44
Elizabeth F. Ellet's "The Women of the American Revolution" provides a lengthy profile of Mary Gaston McClure, citing her brave and courageous actions during the American Revolution. [Burgess, "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 82] The Lineage Book of the Daughters of the American Revolution, p. 103, states that Mary Gaston McClure "is recorded in history as 'The Cherokee Heroine.'"
She married41 James McClure, occupation Justice.
51. i. JOHN MCCLURE44.
52. ii. MARTHA MCCLURE b. 1754.
53. iii. WILLIAM MCCLURE44.
iv. MARY MCCLURE. She married44 Samuel Lowry.
v. (FEMALE) MCCLURE. She married44 Edward Martin.
14. Janet Gaston,
also known as Jinny Gaston,41
(5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. 1714 in
i. WILLIAM STRONG d. ca 1776-83 in Revolutionary War.44
STRONG d. aft 1833, resided
James and Letitia Strong were cousins.44
54. iv. MARGARET STRONG44.
v. JANET STRONG. She married44 ___ Gladney.
15. Martha Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1718 in Ireland, resided (settled) in Chester Co, SC.14,41 She married14,41 Alexander Rosborough, also known as Alexander Rosbrough.14
i. WILLIAM GASTON ROSBOROUGH occupation minister,14 never married.14
ii. JOSEPH ROSBOROUGH resided (settled, abt 1800) in Indiana.14
55. iii. ALEXANDER ROSBOROUGH II14.
56. iv. JOHN ROSBOROUGH14 b. 1776.
v. (FEMALE) ROSBOROUGH d. aft 1833, resided (settled) in Tennessee.14 She married J. Bowman, d. bef 1833, occupation minister.
Resided at Lynch's Creek,
He married 1756 in Lancaster Co, PA, Margaret Logan.
57. i. WILLIAM GASTON44 b. Jul-10-1757.
58. ii. THOMAS GASTON b. Jul-18-1759.
59. iii. JAMES GASTON44 b. Jul-24-1761.
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. 1764,12 d. Mar- 6-1816.12,44 She married44 John McCreary, b. 1754,12 (son of James McCreary and Margaret Gaston), d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3
McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were
actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William
Gaston (b. 1680 in
v. JOHN GASTON
b. ca 1766 in
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1770 in South Carolina,12 d. Sep- 4-1839 in Greene Co, TN,12, never married.12
b. ca 1772 in
viii. STEPHEN GASTON
ix. MARTHA GASTON b. ca 1774 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1851 in Pulaski Co, KY.12 She married Isaac Dye.
60. x. HUGH GASTON44 b. 1776.
17. Hugh Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1722 in Ireland, d. Oct-20-1766 in South Carolina, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC, immigrated abt 1766,44 occupation Presbyterian minister.44
Author of a religious book called "Gaston's Concordat." <
http://members.tripod.com/RGaston/Concordance.html > Unlike his siblings, Hugh initially remained
He married41 Mary Thomson (daughter of James Thomson).
GASTON b. Feb- 6-1749 in
61. iii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1752.
iv. JAMES GASTON
b. Oct- 6-1754 in
Had eight children.44
v. MARY GASTON
b. Dec- 7-1756 in
62. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Jun-16-1759.
63. vii. THOMAS GASTON.
viii. MARY GASTON
b. Apr- 4-1763 in
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Apr-27-1765 in Ireland.44
Received his medical degree from the
Margaret: Educated at a Roman Catholic convent in
i. (MALE) GASTON b. bef 1778, d. in infancy.
64. ii. WILLIAM JOSEPH GASTON b. Sep-19-1778.
65. iii. JANE GASTON b. ca 1780.
19. Elizabeth Gaston (5.William3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1727/30 in
i. WILLIAM KNOX occupation minister.44
66. ii. JAMES KNOX44.
iii. JOHN KNOX.
67. iv. HUGH KNOX44.
v. SARAH KNOX d. aft 1833. She married44 John Johnston.
20. William Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1735 in Ireland, d. 1790 in Kell's Ford, Chester Co, SC,44,41 cause of death drowned.44
Served as captain of a volunteer company, 1775, between
Broad and Catawba rivers in
He married41 aft 1775,44 Jane Harbison.
Jane: Sister of James Harbison.
68. i. HUGH GASTON44.
69. ii. WILLIAM GASTON44.
Settled in Upper Freehold (now Millstone) Twp, Monmouth Co,
NJ, about 1741, where in 1758 he was owner of a grist and fulling mill and a
member of Dr. William Tennent's Freehold Presbyterian congregation. He was a subscriber in 1758 to the fund for a
i. MARY GASTON b. 1739, baptized Dec- 9-1739 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,,19,15 d. in infancy.15
70. ii. JAMES GASTON b. 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. 1744, baptized Jul-15-1744 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19 d. aft 1801, resided until aft 1801 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.15,19
iv. MARY (TWIN)
GASTON b. 1747 in
v. ELIZABETH (TWIN) GASTON b. 1747, baptized Mar- 8-1747 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,19,15
71. vi. DANIEL GASTON b. Jan- 9-1748.
vii. CATHARINE GASTON b. 1751, baptized Jun- 2-1751 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,22
72. viii. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. Sep-16-1752.
GASTON b. 1756 in
73. x. JANE GASTON b. Dec-11-1758.
22. William Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1720,61 d. Dec- -1755 in Pennsylvania.14,15
Took up land in (Upper)
He married Unknown, d. bef Sep 1762.14,15
Unknown: Identified by one researcher (Sharon Wassom,
74. i. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. May- -1740.
75. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1745,15 d. Feb- -1812 in Shenango Twp, Beaver (now Lawrence) Co, PA,12 resided 1795 in Allegheny Co, PA,,15 resided formerly in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA,15 military 1st Lt, 3rd Co, 6th Bn, Northampton Co (PA) Militia (Revolutionary War).15 He married Jane ___.
iv. JENNET GASTON, also known as Jane Gaston, b. ca 1748.15 She married15,66 Moses Phenix, d. bef 1830 in Beaver Co, PA.67
76. v. JAMES GASTON b. ca 1750.
23. Joseph Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1725,67 d. 1775 in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.66
Took up land in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA, in Jan 1765. Served as a King's Justice from 1766 to 1775. Listed in "The DAR Patriot Index" as having performed patriotic service in the time leading up to the War of Independence.15,66
He married Isabel Simonton, d. aft 1792.
Isabel: Some doubt exists about Isabel's maiden name. She was probably a sister of Robert Simonton, who settled in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, before 1754, whose land at that date adjoined the land of Hugh Gaston, and who moved to Pennsylvania and died in Mount Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, in 1786, leaving children James, Ephraim, Robert, Peter, Benjamin, Margaret Nelson, Jean Britton, and Esther Ross, of whom James & Peter settled in Washington Co, PA. One research team (Gene & Norma Harrington Maas at http://www.genemaas.net/Gaston_roots.htm) report her name as Isabel Simonton Galbraith.
77. i. HUGH GASTON66 b. Jan-18-1764.
ii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
78. iii. JAMES GASTON66 b. ca 1767.
iv. JOHN GASTON
resided (settled) in
79. v. ALEXANDER GASTON66 b. Jul-22-1769.
24. Hugh Gaston, Jr. (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1734,,,19 d. Jun-25-1808 in New Jersey,17,15,19 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation farmer & lay judge (appointed 1782).15
By some accounts, Hugh Gaston Jr. was the grandson of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he was probably his son. Of Hugh Gaston Jr.'s four children, two were borne by his first wife (Mary Sloan), none by his second wife (Mary Adams), and two by his third wife (Mary Kirkpatrick).15,19
He married (1) Mary Sloan, b. 1742,19, (daughter of William Sloan and Mary Shields), d. Aug-14-1766 in New Jersey,17 [Anna Reger Gaston reports death date as April 14 1766, rather than August.], buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (2) Mary Adams, b. 1741,19 (daughter of John Adams and Agnes ___), d. Feb-16-1795 in New Jersey,17 [The listing in the History of the Old Tennent Church gives year of death as 1793, and Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 45, also states 1793. But date on headstone clearly reads Feb 16 1795.], buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (3) Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick, also known as Polly Kirkpatrick, b. Nov-23-1761 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19,15 (daughter of David Kirkpatrick and Mary McEowen), d. Jul- 1-1842,19,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ.73
Children by Mary Sloan:
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Apr- 2-1763,15, [Hanna, p. 45, reports birth date as Apr 12 1763, but age on headstone calculates to a birth date of Apr 2 1763.], d. Dec-15-1763 in New Jersey,15,19 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.
Children by Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick:
80. iii. SAMUEL KIRKPATRICK GASTON b. 1795.
25. Elizabeth Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1737.19,15
Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and would therefore have been the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), although there is a possibility that Hugh Gaston (b. 1687) was their grandfather. One source lists her date of birth as 1730.
She married19,15 Thomas Kirkpatrick, resided (settled) in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19,15 [near Liberty Corners].
Thomas: Connection, if any, between the families of
David Kirkpatrick and Thomas Kirkpatrick, both of
81. i. JOHN KIRKPATRICK19.
ii. JANE KIRKPATRICK d. aged abt 60,19,15, never married.19,15,80
26. William Cauldwell (7.Mary3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1726 in Ireland,24 d. 1799 in New Jersey, immigrated 1732.25
William and Elizabeth Thompson Cauldwell had a total of ten children.
He married in
i. JOHN CAULDWELL. He married24 Hannah Rutan (daughter of Abrahm Rutan).
27. Margaret Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1728 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA.22
Moved with husband from Somerset Co, NJ, to Redstone, Fayette Co, PA.
She married22 Andrew Kirkpatrick (son of Alexander Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth ___), resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA,22 resided formerly in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22
Andrew: Came to
i. ALEXANDER KIRKPATRICK.
ii. JENNET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Abner Johnson (son of Samuel Johnson).
iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK d. Jun-24-1803.15 She married15,22 Hugh Bartley, also known as Hugh Barclay,22 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation farmer.15
iv. MARGARET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Joseph McMartin.
82. v. MARY KIRKPATRICK22 b. ca 1755.
83. vi. SARAH KIRKPATRICK22.
vii. ANNE KIRKPATRICK.
viii. HANNAH KIRKPATRICK.
28. John Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1730 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15 d. Oct- 3-1776 in Lamington, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation farmer & merchant.
Provided non-military patriotic support during the American
Revolutionary War. Was a farmer and active merchant in
He married (1) Jun-27-1758,22,15 Elizabeth Ker (daughter of William Ker and Catherine ___), baptized Mar-19-1738 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ, [Hanna and Anna Reger Gaston report this as the date of birth, rather than baptism.], d. May- 6-1765 in New Jersey,22,15 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17
He married22 (2) Sarah Ogden (daughter of Stephen Ogden and Elizabeth Whitaker).
Children by Elizabeth Ker:
i. CATHERINE GASTON b. May-12-1759,22 d. Apr-14-1762.22
84. ii. WILLIAM GASTON22 b. Jan-13-1761.
85. iii. JOSEPH GASTON22 b. May- 2-1763.
Children by Sarah Ogden:
iv. JOHN GASTON
resided (settled) in Lansingburg (
86. v. STEPHEN GASTON22 b. Jul-20-1769.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON d. Sep- 5-1851, resided (settled) in Hamilton Co, OH,22 [Colerain]. She married22 Elias Hedges.
87. vii. ISAAC GASTON22 b. Mar-25-1773.
88. viii. MARGARET GASTON22.
29. Robert Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-28-1732 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, [Jan 23 1732 has also been reported.], d. Sep- 2-1793 in Torbet Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28 military Captain, Revolutionary War.
Robert and Rosanna Cooper Gaston resided in
He married May-15-1762 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,28 Rosanna Cooper, b. Mar-23-1742,84 (daughter of Daniel Cooper and Grace Runyon), d. Jan-14-1817.84
89. i. GRACE GASTON69 b. Nov-25-1764.
90. ii. JOSEPH GASTON28 b. Nov-19-1766.
91. iii. MARGARET GASTON28 b. Dec-17-1768.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Feb-12-1770.28
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Apr- 5-1773.28
vi. ANNE GASTON b. Mar-25-1774.28
vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON GASTON b. Apr- 2-1777.28
viii. JOHN GASTON b. Feb- 8-1780.28
30. Joseph Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1738 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 d. Oct-24-1804 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ, occupation farmer, grist mill owner.
During Revolutionary War, served as Paymaster of the NJ
He married28 Nov- 2-1772 in Somerset Co, NJ,27 Margaret Linn, b. 1751, (daughter of Joseph Linn and Martha Kirkpatrick), d. Sep-19-1822.
92. i. MARTHA GASTON b. 1774.
GASTON27 b. 1776.27 She married Apr-10-1806,27 John Boyd, b. in
Possibly had one daughter, Margaret Boyd.15
31. Ann Gaston27 (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. bef 1777.15 She married28 David Chambers.
i. JOSEPH CHAMBERS.
ii. WILLIAM CHAMBERS.
iii. JOHN CHAMBERS.
32. Margaret Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-19-1738 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 [Hanna (p. 47) reports birth on unspecified date in 1734.], d. Feb- 5-1811 in Middlefield, Hampshire Co, MA,8 [But "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175, reports death on unspecified date in 1810.]. She married28 James Dickson, b. 1728,28 d. 1815.28
James: Name appears as "
i. JAMES DICKSON.
ii. JOHN DICKSON.
iii. ALEXANDER DICKSON.
iv. JOSEPH DICKSON.
v. NANCY DICKSON. She married28 William Church.
93. vi. PHEBE DICKSON28.
33. John Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-10-1750 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27 d. Oct-26-1805 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28 [Place of death given as Sterling, Connecticut, in "Colonial Families of the United States," Vol III, p. 175.], occupation Connecticut Legislature.28, He married Dec-20-1770,27,28 Ruth Miller, b. Nov-16-1750 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT,27,28 (daughter of Alexander Miller and Esther Knight), d. May-10-1825 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.28,7
94. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 2-1772.
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. Dec-13-1781 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27,33 d. Jul-22-1785 in Sterling, Windham Co, CT.27
34. John Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar- 3-1746,33 d. Sep- 6-1834 in Stockbridge, Berkshire Co, MA,33 [But Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy", p. 46, reports his death as Sep 9 1834 in Richmond, Mass.].
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 48, contains
an apparent misprint, in that it shows a John Gaston (b. 1746) as a son of
Alexander (b. 1754), with that John in turn having a son John (b. 1786). Since this is an absolute impossibility, we
conclude that the John (b. 1746) was actually meant to be a son of Alexander
(b. 1714), which Hanna also shows.
Burgess' "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 44, shows a John Gaston
born 1/8/1786 to a John Gaston. Taking
all this into account, we believe the lineage is correct as we present it. Burgess also shows other children born to a
John Gaston in Berkshire Co, MA, in the same general time frame, but there is
insufficient evidence to conclude (particularly since we don't know his wife's
name) that that was the same John Gaston (b. 1746). Those children and their parents as listed
were: Mary, b. 10/20/1774, dau of John
& Miriam Gaston (prob the same as Mary, baptized 2/27/1786, dau of John
Ghaston); Eunice, b. 11/16/1777, dau of John & Miriam Gaston (prob the same
as Eunice, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston); Elizabeth, baptized
12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Elizabeth Gaston, b.
4/10/1784, parents not listed); Rachel, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston
(poss the same as Rachel Gaston, b. 5/23/1780, parents not listed); Achsah,
baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Achsa Gaston, b.
4/6/1782, parents not listed) (another entry shows Achsah Gaston, granddaughter
of Dea. John Gaston, adopted by him and his wife and baptized on 7/21/1811);
He married 1773,36 Miriam Northup.
i. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 8-1786 in Berkshire Co, MA, d. Mar- -1873 in Massachusetts.33
35. Robert Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-28-1747,33 d. Mar- 6-1829.34 He married34 Rozanna (Rhoda) Tilden, b. Jan-28-1732,34 d. Sep- 2-1793.34
95. i. ELIJAH L. GASTON b. Jun- 9-1793.
36. Janet A. "Jennie" Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-27-1750.33
Identified by Hanna in "Ohio Valley Genealogies"
as Janet A. Gaston, daughter of Alexander Gaston & Mary "Molly"
Wilson, but by George M. Kasson in "Genealogy of a Part of the Kasson
Family in the
She married33, Robert Kasson, b. 1741,91 (son of William Kasson and Elizabeth McKay), d. Sep-25-1826, resided in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY,91 occupation wheelwright.91
Robert: Robert Kasson was a soldier in the French and Revolutionary wars. But in the latter war, he objected to the calling in of French aid, because they were Roman Catholics. He ultimately left the service, for which he was court-martialed, but later reprieved.91
96. i. ROBERT KASSON, JR. b. Apr-10-1773.
97. ii. WILLIAM KASSON b. 1775.
98. iii. HARVEY KASSON b. Dec- 4-1781.
iv. ANNA KASSON. She married Jeremiah Ferguson.
v. PHEBE KASSON. She married92 Henry Ferguson.
vi. OLIVE KASSON. She married92 Deacon Brown.
vii. POLLY KASSON. She married92 ___ Bailey, resided in Adams, Jefferson Co, NY.92
99. viii. ALEXANDER KASSON b. Apr- -1792.
37. Alexander Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-28-1754 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,8,36 d. Jul-12-1823 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Road Cemetery, Richmond, MA.36
Although identified by some sources as a
"Captain," one source in particular (Bob Gaston, Longview, WA, in
"Gaston Crier" of Nov 1997) specifies that this Alexander Gaston
enlisted as a Private in Capt Aaron Rowley's company in John Brown's detachment
100. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-14-1783.
ii. ELCY (ELSIE)
same date, Nov 29 1810, is given by Jane Farrell Burgess for Elcy Gaston's
marriage, and by Bob Gaston of
married Nov-29-1810 in
101. iii. HEMAN GASTON b. Sep-13-1786.
iv. AMOS GASTON
b. Oct- 6-1788 in
v. SARAH GASTON
b. Dec- 1-1790 in
b. Apr- 5-1798 in
vii. SAMUEL NORTON GASTON b. Feb- 4-1800 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Aug-14-1823.36
viii. HENRY GASTON b. Mar-21-1802 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.89 He married Nov- 9-1824 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, Mercy Stevens.
ix. MARIA GASTON b. Apr- 5-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Aug-18-1839.36 She married36 ___ Worden.
x. ALBERT GASTON b. Dec- 5-1805 in Berkshire Co, MA.36
xi. GROVE NELSON GASTON b. Feb- 3-1811 in Berkshire Co, MA,36 baptized May-26-1811 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Apr- 1-1855 in Berkshire Co, MA,36 buried in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.36 He married (1) Jun- 3-1840 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, Emeline M. Salmon (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jun-28-1853.36 He married36 (2) Jane Salmon (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jul- 3-1863.36
38. David Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1757 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,8 [But direct descendants Audley DeForest Gaston & sister Judy Gaston Woodard report birth as Feb 13 1757 in Voluntown CT.], d. Aug-29-1830 in New York. He married34 Eunice Loomis, b. Oct-23-1761 in Aurelius, NY,99 d. Jul-22-1813 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.99
102. i. EBENEZER GASTON b. Apr- 6-1782.
ii. MARGARETT GASTON b. Sep- 2-1783,34 d. Mar- 8-1807.34
iii. DAVID GASTON, JR. b. Jun-19-1785, d. Oct- 4-1786.34
iv. JAMES GASTON b. Aug-14-1787.34
v. NANCY GASTON b. Mar-26-1792.34
vi. WILLIAM GASTON b. Mar- 8-1794.34
vii. IRA GASTON b. Oct- 3-1796.34
viii. LYDIA GASTON b. Jan-22-1802.34
ix. EUNICE GASTON b. Jul- 2-1805,34 d. Jul- 9-1805.34
x. MARGARET GASTON b. 1807,34 d. Mar- 3-1807.34
Joseph Gaston emigrated to
He married3 1770 in Chester Co, SC,102 Martha Gaston, b. Jun-11-1741 in Pennsylvania,3 (daughter of John Gaston and Esther Waugh), d. Mar- 4-1826, buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.17,103,45
Martha: Birthdate may be Nov 6, 1741. Death date may be Apr 3, 1826.
103. i. ESTHER JANE GASTON b. 1770.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON. He married3 Mary Blair.
104. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 2-1772.
iv. MARTHA GASTON.
v. MARGARET GASTON.
40. Jane Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1740 - 1749 in Ireland.6 She married Thomas Walker.
105. i. ALEXANDER WALKER b. 1763.
41. Matthew Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1748 in Ireland,6 d. Dec- 9-1799 in Greene Co, GA,102 buried in Macedonia Cemetery, Butts Co, GA.102
Received a land grant in present-day Chester Co, SC, but
moved soon thereafter to Rowan Co, NC, where he married his cousin, Ann Simonton. Her mother, Margaret Gaston, had lived and
been married in Lancaster Co, PA, moving to
He married (1) Aug-12-1768 in Lancaster Co, PA,102 Ann Simonton, b. 1746 in Pennsylvania, (daughter of Robert Simonton and Margaret ___), d. Dec-13-1793 in Greene Co, GA.102 He married (2) Dec-12-1793,102 Rebeckah Hardin.
Rebeckah: A widow at time of marriage; maiden name unknown.102
Children by Ann Simonton:
106. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1774.
107. ii. JANE GASTON b. Jan- 8-1777.
108. iii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1780.
109. iv. MATTHEW GASTON, JR. b. 1785.
42. Alexander Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3,
2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750 in
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, states
that Alexander Gaston (1750-1840), a great-grandson of the first Irish William,
But it has been reported by some researchers, including Edward H. Couey, a descendant of this Alexander, that he left Ireland in late 1772 with Reverend William Martin's five shiploads of Scottish Presbyterian Covenanters; was granted land on Jan 6, 1773 in present- day York Co, SC; moved to present-day Madison Co, KY by 1787, back to old Abbeville Co, SC by 1797, back to Kentucky after 1800 where he sold his property in 1808, and moved by 1815 to Randolph Co, IL, where he shortly died. Original sources for this information are not known.6
He married Unknown.
110. i. JOHN GASTON.
43. Margaret Gaston (12.John4,
5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. Aug-29-1738 in
i. JOHN MCCREARY b. 1754,12 d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3 He married44 Margaret Gaston, b. 1764,12 (daughter of Robert Gaston and Margaret Logan), d. Mar- 6-1816.12,44
McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were
actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William
Gaston (b. 1680 in
ii. SAMUEL MCCREARY occupation Baptist minister,3 military Revolutionary War.3
iii. MARGARET MCCREARY.
44. Martha Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 39.)
45. William Gaston (12.John4,
5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. Jun- 5-1743 in
Unclear which of his two wives (as listed in military
records) was the mother of his children.
Hanna, though stating that William had sons William and James, makes no
mention of a wife. He served as a
He married45 (1) Jenet Love, b. ca 1746. He married45 (2) Ann Porter, b. ca 1747.
Children by Jenet Love:
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
ii. JAMES GASTON.
iii. KESIAH GASTON.
iv. ANN GASTON.
v. SUSANNA GASTON.
vi. MARTHA GASTON.
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON. She married ___ Akin.
ix. MARGARET GASTON. She married ___ Hoskins.
x. JANE GASTON.
She married ___
46. John Gaston (12.John4,
5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. Jun-24-1745 in
Was a Private in General Sumter's Mounted
He married 1768,45, Jannett Knox,108 also known as Jannet or Janette Knox, b. ca 1742 in Glascow, Scotland,108 (daughter of James Knox, Sr. and Elizabeth Craig), d. Aug- 1-1839 in Jefferson Co, IL,108,45 resided aft Jan 1808 in Logan Co, KY,108 resided previously in South Carolina.
111. i. JAMES GASTON b. 1777.
GASTON b. 1779
resided (settled abt 1800) in Logan Co, KY,108
resided originally in
112. iv. ESTHER WAUGH GASTON.
47. James Gaston
(12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Apr-15-1747,44,45 d. bef 1833, resided (settled) in
Hanna, in "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, states
that this James Gaston, b. Apr 15 1747, had a son Stephen and several
daughters, and that they moved to Ohio in about 1801-02. Burgess, in "Gaston Genealogy," p.
119, reports the same children as Hanna.
Neither makes mention of James' wife.
"Chester County Heritage History," p. 196, states that this
James Gaston married Margaret, that they had a son Stephen and a number of
daughters, and that they moved first to
He married45, Margaret Harvey, b. ca 1751,12 d. bef 1820.12
113. i. STEPHEN GASTON44,45 b. 1774.
ii. ROBERT GASTON b. 1776,12 d. 1817 in Illinois.12
iii. ANN GASTON b. Dec-16-1785,12 d. 1843 in Illinois.12
v. MARY GASTON
b. Apr-25-1799 in
48. Hugh Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-12-1751,26,45 d. Jun-13-1836,26,45 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,45 resided (settled) in Mississippi,44 resided (moved 1826) to Wilcox Co, AL,44 resided originally in South Carolina.44 He married26 Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,44 b. 1754,45 (daughter of James McClure and Mary Gaston), d. Dec-21-1836,45 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,45 resided in Alabama.
i. JOHN GASTON.
ii. EBENEZER GASTON.
iii. JAMES GASTON.
iv. WILLIAM GASTON.
v. HUGH GASTON.
vi. MARY GASTON.
vii. MARTHA GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON.
ix. MARGARET GASTON.
49. Esther Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct- -1760,45,44 [Birth date reported in "Heritage History of Chester County, SC," p. 196, as Oct 15 1760, but Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41states Oct 18 1760, while the DAR lineage book shows it as 1761.], d. 1809.45
Before her marriage to Alexander Walker, Esther Gaston was cited for her heroic deeds during the American Revolution. During the Battle of Rocky Mount, when she saw three men fleeing, she asked to take their arms and fight in the battle herself. This prompted the men to return to the fighting. With patriotic spirits and kind hearts, she and her sister-in-law aided the wounded and dying during the Battles of Rocky Mount and Hanging Rock, dressing the wounds and quenching the thirsts of the seriously injured.
She married Alexander Walker, b. 1763, (son of Thomas Walker and Jane Gaston).
Alexander Walker was the g-g-g-grandson of Jean Gaston (b.
ca 1600 in
114. i. JOHN GASTON
50. Joseph Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-22-1763 in Chester Co, SC,44,45, [Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 85, states that age 73y 8m 18d in death record would put birth exactly one month earlier, at Jan 22 1763.], d. Oct-10-1836 in Chester Co, SC,114 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.,45
Joseph Gaston (1763-1836) served at the battles of Hanging
Rock and at Buford's defeat. He received
a pension as a private in
Wounded with a shot that hit under his eye in the Battle of Hanging Rock, SC, in the Revolutionary War. He later became a Magistrate for over forty years, and was also an elder of the Presbyterian Church. In 1830, he was elected to the South Carolina Legislature, and shortly before his death he published an article describing his Revolutionary War experiences.115
He married116,8 Apr-20-1790, Jane Brown, b. Apr-10-1768, (daughter of Walter Brown and Margaret ___), d. Jun-27-1858,45 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.112,45
115. i. JOHN BROWN GASTON b. Jan-23-1791.
116. ii. NARCISSA GASTON b. Nov-17-1792.
iii. ELIZA GASTON b. Sep-20-1794,44 d. Jun- 7-1845. She married44 ___ Neely.
iv. ESTHER GASTON b. Dec- 4-1795, d. May-25-1856. She married44 D. G. Stinson.
Probably Daniel G. Stinson, b. ca 1794, resident of
v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-29-1797, d. Oct- 1-1802.106
vi. JANE GASTON b. Aug-17-1800,44 d. Oct- 4-1880.106 She married44 ___ Crawford.
vii. JAMES A. H. GASTON b. Oct-17-1801,44 d. Jul-26-1859,106 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.112
viii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan- 1-1808,44 d. Jun-27-1810.106
51. John McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), d. Aug- 6-1780 at Hanging Rock, SC,44 military Captain in Revolutionary War.
John McClure was one of the master spirits of the Revolution. He was mortally wounded at Hanging Rock, 1780, while bravely leading his volunteer company against the British regulars. He died in Liberty Hall, where the Mecklenburg Declaration was written. He had three brothers who served in the army, and his mother is recorded in history as "The Cherokee Heroine."
He married Mary Porter.
117. i. HUGH MCCLURE.
52. Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,44 (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 48.)
53. William McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation military physician, rank of General.,44 He married122 Sarah Davis.
118. i. HANNAH MCCLURE b. ca 1786.
54. Margaret Strong (14.Janet4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married44 John Simonton.
i. CHARLES H. SIMONTON.
55. Alexander Rosborough II
(15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. in at sea [The
1900 Census of sons David and Joseph indicated that their father was born at
sea, and their mother in
His first two children, Mary Martha and William Andrew, were by his first wife, Mary Hemphill. Hanna states that Alexander Rosborough II had a total of six sons and two daughters by his second wife, Janet Porter, but identifies only the five children listed here.14
(1) Mary Hemphill. He married14
(2) Janet Porter, b. in
Children by Mary Hemphill:
i. MARY MARTHA ROSBOROUGH.
ii. WILLIAM ANDREW ROSBOROUGH.
Children by Janet Porter:
119. iii. DAVID D. ROSBOROUGH b. Sep- -1815.
120. iv. ALEXANDER M. ROSBOROUGH14 b. ca 1817.
v. JOSEPH BROWN
ROSBOROUGH b. Dec- -1821 in
resided (settled) in
resided (settled) in
56. John Rosborough, census name John Rosboro (15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,14 d. 1854,14 occupation Clerk of the Court, Chester Co, SC. He married14 Eleanor Key.
Had a total of four sons and six daughters.14
i. JOHN ROSBOROUGH d. Civil War.14
resided (settled) in
57. William Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-10-1757 in Lancaster Co, PA,44, [Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41" reports birth date as Jul 23 1755. Jane Farrell Burgess, in "The Gaston Genealogy," pp. 87 & 96, provides conflicting birth dates of 1755 and Jul 10 1757. Bill Gaston, http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/, reports birth date as Jan 13 1761. William Gaston's birth date accepted by the DAR is 10 July 1757.], d. Jan-12-1838 in Marion Co, IL,,12 [Death date of Jan 14 1838 reported by Mary Gaston Gee, p. 13.], buried in Old Covenanter Cem, Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL, resided in Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL,44,124 resided 1808 - ca 1829 in Christian Co, KY,126,44,124 military Revolutionary War.44,124
The following is from a handwritten letter by Frank DeForest
Gaston (1853-1920) of
He married ca 1781,126 Mary McClure, b. 1758 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. ca 1829 in Christian Co, KY.126
Mary: Possibly the daughter of Samuel McClure and Sarah Rankin.126
i. MARGARET ANN GASTON b. Feb-15-1783 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. Aug-18-1831 in Jefferson Co, IL,126 resided (settled in 1822) in Marion Co, IL,44 buried in Old Covenanter Cem, Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL.126 She married44 ca 1799 in Chester Co, SC,126 Thomas Kell.
ii. ANN GASTON b. May- 9-1784 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. May-17-1867 in Marion Co, IL.126 She married ca 1804 in Chester Co, SC,126 Matthew Rainey, also known as Matthew Raney.128
121. iii. WILLIAM GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 1-1786.
122. iv. SAMUEL GASTON44 b. Oct-16-1787.
v. JOHN R. GASTON b. ca 1790 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. in Bond Co, IL,126 resided (settled, by 1833) in Bond Co, IL.44 He married Dec-28-1816 in Christian Co, KY,126 Elizabeth Carson.
vi. SARAH MCCLURE GASTON b. Mar-17-1792 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. Jul- 3-1834 in Marion Co, IL.126 She married Nov- 5-1812 in Christian Co, KY,126 Matthew Cunningham.
vii. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1794 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. in Bond Co, IL,126 resided (settled in 1822) in Bond Co, IL.44
viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1796 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. ca 1845 in Barry Co, MO.126 She married Aug-17-1815 in Christian Co, KY,126 Andrew Carson.
ix. MARY ANN GASTON b. in Chester Co, SC,126 d. 1843 in Jefferson Co, IL.126 She married Sep-13-1827 in Bond Co, IL,126 Hugh White.
58. Thomas Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-18-1759 in Lynch's Creek, Lancaster Co, SC,, d. Apr-23-1832,129 occupation wagon maker, military Revolutionary War (served as an irregular),26, [As a wagon maker by trade, in the Revolutionary War he devoted his time to building and repairing wagons for the Continental Army. The same powder horn used by Thomas Gaston in the Revolutionary War was later used by other family member in the War of 1812 and in the Civil War.].
"Thomas Gaston was a devout Presbyterian and was at all times ready to give of his time and money to the advancement of community welfare. He owned a flour and grist mill on Gaston Creek, and later installed one of the first cotton gins for that section of the country."131
He married130 Sarah Nickels (daughter of James Nickels), d. Mar-30-1818.129
123. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Sep-17-1787.
124. ii. JAMES NICKELS "JIMMY" GASTON b. Jan-18-1789.
125. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Sep-29-1790.
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Feb- 5-1793. She married129 Jesse Wakefield.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan- 7-1795,133 d. Dec-14-1825,133 never married.133
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jul- 9-1796,133 d. Jul-13-1847.133 He married133 Margaret Caldwell.
Had three daughters.133
126. vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. Sep- 4-1798.
viii. MARGARET LOGAN GASTON b. Jun-13-1800,133 d. Jul-22-1863.133
127. ix. THOMAS LOGAN GASTON b. Apr- 7-1805.
59. James Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-24-1761,124,50 d. Mar- 7-1840 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL, resided (settled) in Wayne Co, IL, resided formerly in Christian Co, KY, resided originally in South Carolina.
Hanna, in "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, and Burgess in "Gaston Genealogy," p. 121, state only that this James Gaston was a son of Robert Gaston, who was a son of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon. More recent researchers have shown that this James Gaston married Catherine Creighton and settled in Wayne Co, IL, raising a family of eight children.
He married12 Mar-20-1783 in Lancaster Co, SC,134 Catherine Creighton, b. 1764,12 d. Jan- 5-1848 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL.134
GASTON b. ca
CATHERINE GASTON b.
She married (1) John Murray Massey, also known as Murray Massey,134 b. ca 1781.12 One child.12
She married135 (2) John Bovee, b. Sep-11-1788,12 d. Jan-21-1868.12 Seven children.12
iii. THOMAS CREIGHTON GASTON b. May 4 1790/91 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1833 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Feb- 1-1814,12 Elender Clark, b. 1792.12 He married136 (2) Feb- 1-1821,12 Sarah Conner, b. Aug-10-1803.12
iv. ROBERT RUTLEDGE GASTON b. Jan-27-1792 in Lancaster Co, SC,12 d. Nov-12-1837 in Wayne Co, IL.12 He married Feb- 4-1812 in Christian Co, KY, Elizabeth "Betsy" Whitney, b. ca 1792,12 d. Dec-28-1849.12
v. ELIHU GASTON b. 1793 in South Carolina,12 d. 1834 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Dec-18-1818,12 Nancy Wilson, b. 1795.12 He married138 (2) Mary Ann Treadway.
vi. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-14-1796 in South Carolina,12 d. May- 5-1875 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Dec- 1-1817,12 Jane Treadway, b. 1781,12 d. 1834.12 He married139 (2) ca 1834,12 Hannah Bovee, b. Aug-14-1814,12 d. Nov-25-1856.12 He married139 (3) ca 1858,12 Artimissa M. Perrens, b. ca 1814,12 d. Sep- 6-1869.12
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1797 in South Carolina.12 She married12 Benjamine McGehee.
viii. JAMES CYRUS
60. Hugh Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,12 d. 1830,12 resided (settled) in Greene Co, IN, resided formerly in Kentucky, resided originally in South Carolina. He married Jane ___.
128. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1799.
61. Martha Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-11-1752 in Ireland.44 She married James Ross.
i. JAMES ROSS b. in Ireland.44
He married (Female) Rogan (daughter of ___ Rogan and Elizabeth Gaston).
Married and had 10 or 11 children, some of whom settled in Baltimore.44
iii. HUGH GASTON
iv. REBECCA ROSS
resided 1833 in
62. Elizabeth Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-16-1759 in Ireland.44 She married44 ___ Rogan, b. in Northern Ireland,44 occupation physician, surgeon.44
Of their eight children, six were boys, one daughter died
unmarried, and the other daughter married
She married James Ross, b. in
63. Thomas Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Ireland,44 d. bef 1833 in New York, resided (settled) in New York.44 He married Unknown, d. bef 1833.
resided (settled) in
ii. (FEMALE) GASTON.
64. William Joseph Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-19-1778 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,,55,14 d. Jan-23-1844 in Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,,55,14 buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery, New Bern, NC [William Joseph Gaston was initially buried in Raleigh, but his remains were later taken to New Bern for burial by the graves of his parents and daughter.], occupation Congressman & Judge.
William Gaston of
"In 1835, Gaston was an influential delegate to the North Carolina Constitutional Convention, where he fought to have religious qualifications for office holding dropped and where he attempted to protect the voting privileges of free people of color. Gaston also supported federal representation as the basis for representation in the House of Commons and biennial meetings of the state legislature.
"Gaston's law practice was very successful and his
reputation in legal circles was of national scope. Daniel Webster and John
Marshall, among others, consulted with him on legal questions. In 1833, Gaston
was elected by the state legislature to a post as an associate justice of the
North Carolina Supreme Court, where he served until his death in 1844. Gaston's
most famous decision on the bench came in 1834 with the case of State v. Negro
Will. Gaston ruled that a slave had the right to defend himself against an
unlawful attempt of a master, or an agent of a master, to kill him. In the
significant case of State v. William Manuel in 1838, he held that a manumitted
slave was a citizen of the state and thus entitled to the guarantees of the
constitution. Gaston purchased a library for the state Supreme Court while on a
Some accounts put his two older children, Alexander and Susan, as being by his first wife, Susan Hay, but according to his biography, "William Gaston, Carolinian," by J. Herman Schauinger (Bruce Publishing Co, Milwaukee, WI, 1949), Susan died just eight months after they were married. Because his second wife, Hannah, died in 1813, it is clear that his first three children were by her, and his last two by his third wife, Eliza Ann Worthington, daughter of the college physician.
(1) Sep- 4-1803 in
He married14 (2) Oct- 6-1805 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,122 Hannah McClure, b. ca 1786,122 (daughter of William McClure and Sarah Davis), d. Jul-14-1813 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC.
Hannah: Children Alexander and Susan are reported in
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, as being William J.
Gaston's children by his first wife. But
Hanna also concurs with the 1803 and 1805 dates of William's first two marriages. Several months pregnant, Hannah died of convulsions
brought on by news that the British were about to attack her town. Their three children stayed with William's
sister Jane in
He married (3) Sep- 3-1816 in
Children by Hannah McClure:
129. i. ALEXANDER F. GASTON b. Jan-19-1807.
ii. SUSAN JANE
GASTON122 b. Jun- 4-1808 in
Robert Donaldson was a Scotch merchant from
130. iii. HANNAH MARGARET GASTON b. Mar-18-1811.
Children by Eliza Ann Worthington:
iv. ELIZA ANN
v. CATHERINE JANE (KATE) GASTON122 b. Jan- 6-1819 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,54,122 d. 1885, never married.14
65. Jane Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1780. She married ca 1797, John Louis Taylor, b. Mar- 1-1769 in London, England,54, d. Jan-29-1829 near Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,148 buried Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,148 immigrated ca 1781,148 occupation lawyer & judge,148 education William & Mary College.148
John: Born in London of Irish parents, John Louis
Taylor came to
Louis Taylor and wife Jane Gaston had an adopted daughter, name unknown, who
was widowed by former Attorney General James F. Taylor. This (Female)
She married David E. Sumner, resided in Gates Co, TN.14
ii. WILLIAM TAYLOR occupation Congress/NC Chief Justice.
66. James Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation physician.44
i. JANE KNOX.
Possibly the same Jane Knox who married Samuel Polk, Mecklenburg Co, NC.44
67. Hugh Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Jane Nesbit, also known as Jennet or Jenny.150
131. i. NANCY GASTON KNOX b. ca 1797.
68. Hugh Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Unknown.
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
69. William Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), resided in Memphis, Shelby Co, TN,,44 resided formerly in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.151,44 He married151 Priscilla Buford,151 also known as Priscilla Beaufort,44 [Hanna (p. 41) reports William Gaston's wife as ___ Beaufort, while the DAR Lineage Book (p. 322) gives it as Priscilla Buford. The latter is considered the more reliable.].
i. LEROY GASTON occupation Presbyterian Minister.14
132. ii. FRANCES GASTON.
70. James Gaston
(21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1742, baptized
Mar-28-1742 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19,15 d. bef 1779 [Wife Lydia re-married in 1779.]. He married Apr-20-1773 in Monmouth Co, NJ,19,15,20
133. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Feb-18-1776.
71. Daniel Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 9-1748, baptized Apr- 3-1749 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19,15 d. Jun-20-1838 in Northumberland Co, PA.
Served as soldier in Samuel Forman's Regiment of the New
Jersey Militia during American Revolution.
Later moved to Northumberland Co, PA, and applied for an American
Revolutionary War Pension. Lived in
Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ, during the Revolution. Children identified by Anna Reger Gaston as
John, Catherine, John, William and Jane, all baptized at
He married Nov-10-1774, Nancy Ann ___, b. Dec-18-1752, d. aft Jan-30-1839.
i. JOHN GASTON baptized Apr-14-1776 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,19
ii. SARY GASTON b. Sep- -1777.
iii. JAMES GASTON b. Oct-13-1779.
iv. STEPHEN GASTON b. Dec-16-1781.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-16-1784.
vi. ELLEN GASTON b. Jan-23-1787, baptized Jun-24-1787 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.
vii. JANE GASTON b. Jul- 3-1789.
72. John Gaston, Jr. (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-16-1752 in Monmouth Co, NJ,74 baptized Jan-20-1754 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,22 d. Apr- 6-1829 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,17 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV, occupation farmer, blacksmith, military Revolutionary War.
John Gaston, Jr. and his wife, Anna Davisson, came to Duck
He married 1785 [probably Monmouth Co, NJ], Anna Davisson, b. Feb-20-1765 in Tennent, Monmouth Co, NJ,, (daughter of Andrew Davison and Sarah Smith), d. Aug- 8-1854 in Duck Creek, Harrison Co, WV, buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV,17 [Headstone reads: Anna, wife of John Gaston Sr., died Aug 8 1854, aged 89y 5m 17d.].
Anna: Anna Davisson was known also as Ann and Anne,
and also as Davison. The newer spelling
has two "ss" and seems to have been adopted by the clerk of the court
134. i. ANDREW GASTON b. ca 1782.
135. ii. MARY E. "POLLY" GASTON b. May- 4-1785.
136. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Jun- 5-1788.
137. iv. SARAH GASTON b. Dec-29-1790.
138. v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-13-1793.
139. vi. JOHN GASTON b. May-24-1796.
140. vii. DEBORAH GASTON b. Aug- 9-1798.
141. viii. JANE GASTON b. Nov-14-1802.
142. ix. JAMES GASTON b. 1804.
143. x. WILLIAM G. GASTON b. Feb- 1-1806.
73. Jane Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-11-1758 in New Jersey, baptized Mar-25-1759 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,22 d. Jan- 7-1808, buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Always resided in the Freehold,
She married (1) 1774, James Mount, b. Mar-27-1752 in Upper Freehold, Monmouth Co, NJ, d. Dec-27-1786, buried in Yellow Meeting House Cem, Freehold, NJ.
She married (2) Jul- 2-1788,23 Lewis Anderson, b. Jan-22-1757, d. Mar-29-1838, buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Children by James Mount:
144. i. JOHN GASTON MOUNT b. Jul-28-1775.
ii. EZEKIEL I.
Census, Monmouth Co,
I. Mount, 72, farmer; Margaret, 60; Elenor, 46; Rebecca, 35; John G, 31;
Margaret, 31; Mary Matilda, 3; Margaret Ann, 1; William Stillwell, 19,
laborer. All born in
Census, Monmouth Co,
Ezekle I. Mount, 83, farmer; Margaret, 70; Elliner, 40. All born in Monmouth.
He married (1) Leah ___. He married (2) Margaret Gaston, b. 1790 in New Jersey, d. 1874, census 1850, 1860 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Margaret: It is not known what relationship, if any, this Margaret Gaston had with any of the other Gastons in this genealogy. Given the times and locations, however, it is likely that there was some connection.
iii. SEXTON MOUNT b. Jul-24-1781. He married Jun- 4-1808, Margaret Mount.
Margaret: Unknown what blood relationship, if any, Margaret Mount was to husband Sexton.
iv. CATHERINE MOUNT b. 1784, d. Apr- 2-1819. She married Peter Perrine, Jr., b. Mar- 3-1768, d. Sep- 6-1846.
v. REBECCA MOUNT b. 1786.
Children by Lewis Anderson:
vi. ANNA LLOYD
ANDERSON b. Nov-26-1789 in
viii. HANNAH ANDERSON
b. May-30-1793 in
ANDERSON b. Feb-15-1795 in
ANDERSON b. Feb-15-1797 in
ANDERSON b. Dec-12-1799 in
74. John Gaston, Jr. (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- -1740 in Monmouth Co, NJ,17,19,,15 d. Sep-10-1823 in Washington Co, PA,17,158 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,17,14,15 [Headstone inscription reads "In Memory of John Gaston, who departed this life September 10th A.D. 1823, aged 83 years & 4 months." A separate metal marker staked into the ground adjacent to the headstone reads "Revolutionary Soldier, 1775 - 1883, Placed by the Monongahela Valley Chapter D.A.R."], military Major, Revolutionary War.15
From a listing of baptisms in "History of the
He married Feb-4-1760 in Monmouth Co, NJ,14 Charity Cheeseman, also known as Charety,17 b. Mar-13-1734 in New Jersey,14,17 (daughter of Joseph Cheeseman and Lydia Parent), d. Feb-15-1821,14,17 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA.14,,15.
145. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-15-1761.
146. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Apr-25-1763.
iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 7-1765,66 baptized Apr-14-1765 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.160
iv. SAMUEL (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767,66 baptized Apr-12-1767,160 d. in infancy.66
147. v. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767.
148. vi. SAMUEL GASTON, SR. b. Oct-10-1772.
149. vii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1776.
viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. May- 8-1778,66 d. Feb-28-1858 in Washington Co, PA,66,67 buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,67 never married.67
birth/death dates of May 8 1778 & Feb 28 1858 are from Hanna, p. 43. Death and burial locations are from Peter
& Jane Topoly, original source not stated.
A headstone for this Elizabeth Gaston conforming to those dates could
not be found at the
75. William Gaston (22.William4,
6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. ca 1742 in
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Jul-22-1769 in Pennsylvania,12 d. Jul- 9-1825 in Ohio,12 resided until aft 1811 in Lower Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA,66 [Richmond]. He married66 Huldah Einke,12 also known as Hulda Encke,12 b. ca 1773.12
ii. WILLIAM ISAAC GASTON b. ca 1771 in Pennsylvania.12
150. iii. CHARLES W. GASTON15,66 b. 1781.
iv. MARGARET GASTON. She married bef 1806,66 Elisha Everitt.
v. ELIZABETH GASTON. She married 1806-07,66 Simeon Hart.
76. James Gaston (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750,15 d. 1824 in Beaver Co, PA,67 resided 1773 in Northampton Co, PA.
There is some speculation that this may be the James Gaston who was a Justice of the Peace of Somerset County in 1781 and was appointed a lay Judge in 1783, as further information regarding him is lacking.15
He married67 Elizabeth Lyle, b. 1760 in Northampton Co, PA,67 (daughter of Robert Lyle and Mary Gilleland).
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
151. ii. ROBERT GASTON.
iii. MARGARET GASTON. She married67 ___ Selby.
iv. ELEANOR JANE GASTON. She married67 ___ Miller.
152. v. MARY "POLLY" GASTON b. Oct-10-1787.
77. Hugh Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1764 in Somerset Co, NJ,15,69 d. Jun-24-1839 in East Liverpool, Columbiana Co, OH,15,,69 ["History of the Upper Ohio Valley" (p. 146) reports death date as about 1837, but great-grandson Frederick Waage Gaston's SAR application shows it as 1839.], buried in Columbiana Co, OH.
Birth place appears in "History of the
He married Mar-14-1789 in Somerset Co, NJ,67,15,69 Grace Gaston, b. Nov-25-1764,15,69 (daughter of Robert Gaston and Rosanna Cooper), d. Mar-14-1838.15,69
153. i. JOSEPH GASTON b. Dec-24-1789.
154. ii. JAMES WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan-20-1793.
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Feb-23-1794,15,69 d. Jun- 4-1801.15,69
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Sep- 7-1797,15,69 d. Jan-14-1816.15,69
155. v. HUGH GASTON b. Apr- 9-1804.
78. James Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1767 in Somerset Co, NJ,15, d. May-Ju-1813 in Smith Twp, Washington Co, PA,69 resided (settled abt 1788) in Smith Twp, Washington Co, PA.69
In about 1788, moved from
He married15 Jane ___.
i. MARY GASTON.
She married69 ___
ii. WILLIAM GASTON d. 1830 in Brooke Co, (W)VA,69 never married.69
iii. JOSEPH GASTON.
iv. HUGH GASTON.
v. ISABELLA GASTON.
vi. JOHN GASTON.
156. vii. JANE GASTON69 b. Oct- 2-1792.
157. viii. JAMES W. GASTON69 b. Aug-29-1808.
She married69 ___
158. x. (FEMALE) GASTON69.
79. Alexander Gaston title: Dr. (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-22-1769 in Northampton Co, PA,,15,69, d. Jul- 9-1825 in Morristown, Belmont Co, OH,,,15,69,165 buried in First Cemetery, Union Twp, Morristown, OH, occupation physician.15
Dr. Alexander Gaston settled with his mother in Canton Twp,
(Note: Hanna, after
presenting Alexander's family and lineage as we have it here, describes another
account of this Alexander Gaston which states that he was the son of Ephraim
Gaston, who was the son of Ebenezer Gaston, who migrated from Ireland with his
brother Matthew (died unmarried); that Alexander had a brother Joseph, who
settled in southern Indiana, and another brother who settled in West Virginia. Hanna points out that this account probably
assumes Joseph, son of John, who married in
Rachel Perry, b. Sep- 1-1773,69,165 (daughter of John Perry and Jane McMillan), d. Sep-14-1833,69,165 buried in
i. JOHN PERRY GASTON b. Apr-24-1793 in Washington Co, PA,69, buried in Harrison Co, OH. He married Sep-14-1829 in Belmont Co, OH,67 Ruth McPherson.
ii. JANE GASTON b. Apr-10-1795 in Washington Co, PA,69,168 d. Nov- 4-1796.69
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-17-1797 in Washington Co, PA,69,168 d. Sep-27-1834.69 He married69 Jun- 1-1819 in Belmont Co, OH,67 Martha McClure.
159. iv. EPHRAIM GASTON b. Jun-26-1799.
v. MARY GASTON b. May-20-1801 in Belmont Co, OH,69,168 d. Dec-20-1846,69 resided (settled) in McConnelsville, Morgan Co, OH.69 She married Feb-10-1825 in Belmont Co, OH,67 Andrew Tracy.
160. vi. CHARITY GASTON b. Jul-27-1803.
vii. JOSEPH GASTON
b. May-14-1805 in Belmont Co, OH,69,168
d. Jul- 9-1833,69 buried in
viii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 4-1807 in Belmont Co, OH.168
161. ix. MATTHEW GASTON b. Jul- 9-1809.
x. ISAAC GASTON
b. Sep-16-1811 in
xi. JAMES GASTON b. Nov- 1-1813.19
80. Samuel Kirkpatrick Gaston (24.Hugh4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1795, d. 1835,170 resided 1816, 1817 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation physician.19,15
Thought to have moved west after Oct 1817, as there is no
trace of him in
He married19,15,73 1816,170 Nancy T. Cooper, b. 1794,170 (daughter of Henry Cooper, Jr. and Rachael Thompson), d. 1866.170
i. HENRIETTA GASTON.
162. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1833.
81. John Kirkpatrick (25.Elizabeth4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married19 Anne Coriell (daughter of Elias Coriell).
163. i. SARAH "SALLY" KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1802.
164. ii. THOMAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1806.
165. iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
166. iv. ELIAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
167. v. JAMES KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1810.
169. vii. JANE KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1814.
170. viii. MARY KIRKPATRICK b. 1816.
KIRKPATRICK d. age abt 30 in
171. x. ANN KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1820.
172. xi. HUGH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1822.
82. Mary Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1755 in Somerset Co, NJ,64 d. aft 1794 in Orange Co, NC. He married 1775, Henry Gomer, b. ca 1750,64 d. 1782 in Somerset Co, NJ.64
83. Sarah Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married Daniel Johnston (son of James Johnston and Jeannette (Jane) Gaston).
i. ANDREW JOHNSTON b.
ii. JANE JOHNSTON b.173.
174. iii. JAMES THOMPSON
iv. ELIZABETH JOHNSTON b.173.
v. LAVINIA JOHNSTON b.173.
vi. SARAH ANN JOHNSTON.
vii. DANIEL JOHNSTON b.173.
viii. CAROLINE JOHNSTON b.173.
84. William Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1761, d. Feb-13-1809,22 [WILL: Mar-1-1809 William Gaston of Bedminster, Somerset Co, NJ. Int. inventory $464.97; made by William McEowen & Christian Eoff. Lists girting, parcel of livery lace, brass buckles for chair harness, 15 saddle trees, etc. Notes against Thomas Bangham, Jr & "an order" from David Melick. Sworn to by Naomi Gaston, Adm'x. Apr-22-1810 (File 1423 R)], buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation harness maker.15 He married Dec-10-1782,22 Naomi Teeple, b. Jul-20-1760,17,27 (daughter of John Teeple and Margaret Castner), d. Jun-20-1818,17,27 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ.
175. i. JOHN W. GASTON b. Sep-26-1783.
ii. WALTER GASTON b. Oct-10-1787, d. Nov- 8-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ.
Sep-26-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ,22
d. Sep-12-1837 in
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-30-1789 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov- 3-1827,,22 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17 She married22 Mar-30-1819, John Mehelm McCowen, b. 1788 (son of William McCowen and Martha Mehelm), d. Nov- 7-1820, buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17
John: Last name sometimes reported as McEowen, but headstone of wife Margaret has it as McCowen.
v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Feb-13-1792 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Apr- 5-1814,22 buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17
176. vi. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795.
vii. OLIVER B. (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795,22,17 d. Jun-10-1821,17 ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 46, reports death date as Jan 21 1823, the same date he reports for Oliver's brother Abraham. But Oliver's headstone shows date as Jun 10 1821.], buried in Lamington Presb Church Cem, Somerset Co, NJ.17
viii. ABRAHAM GASTON b. Apr-25-1797,22 d. Jan-21-1823 in Somerset Co, NJ.22
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Aug-27-1800,22 d. Mar-30-1821 in Somerset Co, NJ.22
85. Joseph Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- 2-1763,22 d. Oct-16-1796.22 He married Mar-1-1781,22 Ida Van Arsdale, b. Apr-28-1762 (daughter of Philip Van Arsdale and Margaret Stryker).
Ida: Parentage unclear. Daughter of Philip (1734-1776) & Margaret
Stryker (1741-1819) Van Arsdale, per "
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Nov-17-1782 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov-11-1857,22 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She married (1) ___ Annin. She married (2) John Collyer, census name John Colyer,146 b. ca 1782 in New Jersey,146 d. Jan- 5-1865, census 1850, 1860 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.
Census, Somerset Co,
Colyer, 68, farmer; Elizabeth Colyer, 68; Andrew J. Gulick, 24, merchant; Eliza
C. Gulick, 21; Anna V. Gulick, 6 months.
All born in
ii. ISAAC VAN ARSDALE GASTON b. Sep- 9-1784 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Feb-11-1811 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22
He married Mar-15-1810, Jane Van Arsdale.
177. iii. JOHN I. GASTON b. Feb-14-1787.
iv. MARGARET B. GASTON b. Feb-21-1789,22 d. Jul- 9-1804.22
178. v. WILLIAM B. GASTON b. Aug- 9-1791.
vi. SARAH E.
GASTON b. Dec-
9-1793,22 d. 1885,22 resided at Basking Ridge, Bernard Twp,
Somerset Co, NJ, census 1880 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1860 in
Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She
married Garrett Conover, b. ca 1810 in
Census, Somerset Co,
Garret Conover, 50, b. NJ, shoe maker; Sarah Conover, 65, b. NJ; Elvira B. Annin, 56, b. NJ, seamstress.
Census, Somerset Co,
Garrett Conover, 70, b. NJ, boot & shoemaker; wife Sarah, 86, b. NJ.
vii. LYDIA GASTON b. 1795,22 d. 1800.22
86. Stephen Gaston
(28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jul-20-1769, d. in
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Oct- 1-1808.
ii. SARAH GASTON b. Jan-24-1810.
iii. MINERVA GASTON b. Feb-14-1812.
iv. JULIA GASTON b. Feb-26-1815.
87. Isaac Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-25-1773 in New Jersey,22 resided (settled) near Morristown, Morris Co, NJ. He married Mar-17-1803,15 Anna Hedges.
i. AUGUSTUS L.
May-15-1806,22 d. 1841,22 resided (settled, 1828) in Reily (
180. ii. ELIAS HEDGES GASTON22 b. ca 1819.
88. Margaret Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1). She married Smith Scudder (son of Ephraim Scudder and Martha Spinning), resided originally in
181. i. WILLIAM MANSFIELD SCUDDER22 b. ca 1811.
WILLIAMSON SCUDDER b.
89. Grace Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 77.)
90. Joseph Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-19-1766,17,28 d. Apr-18-1834,17 ["Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 47, reports death date as Apr 18 1831. But headstone shows it as Apr 18 1834.], buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA, occupation County Commissioner, military Revolutionary War.
He married28 Mar-12-1787,15, [Marriage date of 1789 reported in Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 47.], Margaret Melick, b. Dec-22-1767,28,46 (daughter of Aaron Moelich and Catherine Miller), d. Feb- 5-1838,28,46 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.17
182. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Mar-30-1790.
ii. CHARLOTTE GASTON b. Sep-22-1792, d. Aug-13-1824,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.176 She married28 James Durham, b. 1785,46 d. 1871,46 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.176
iii. ROSANNA GASTON b. Jun- 7-1795,28 d. Nov-19-1845.28
183. iv. AARON GASTON b. Apr-25-1799.
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Jul-26-1801,28 d. Apr-28-1860 in Philadelphia, PA,28 [Place of death according to Max Perry, p. 145, who reports death date as April 16, 1865.], census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA, resided (settled) in Philadelphia, PA,28 occupation Presbyterian minister.28 He married 1839,28 Rosanna Morris, also known as Rosa Morris,28 b. 1803 in Pennsylvania,28,146 d. 1873,28 census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA.
Daniel Gaston, 48, b. Pa, clergyman; Rosanna Gaston, 45, b. Pa; Ann Morris, 74, b. NJ.
vi. MARY GASTON
b. May-14-1804 in
vii. ANNE GASTON b. Dec-20-1808. She married28 William Sample.
91. Margaret Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-17-1768,28 d. Sep-10-1807.28 She married 1785,28 Daniel Melick, b. Oct-29-1763,27 (son of Aaron Moelich and Catherine Miller), d. Jul- 9-1815 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 occupation tanner, farmer.15
i. AARON MELICK b. Apr- -1786 in Monmouth Co, NJ, never married.
ii. ELIZABETH MELICK. She married Dennis Van Duyon.
iii. CHARLOTTE MELICK, census name Charlotta Melick, b. ca 1790 in New Jersey,146 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, never married.
184. iv. ROSANNA MELICK28 b. ca 1793.
185. v. JOHN MELICK28 b. ca 1794.
vi. MARY MELICK. She married Peter Sutphen.
vii. DAVID MELICK
b. ca 1798 in
186. viii. WILLIAM MELICK28 b. ca 1800.
ix. DANIEL MELICK
b. ca 1802 in
x. CATHERINE MELICK. She married John Allen.
92. Martha Gaston (30.Joseph4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,27 d. Jan-11-1850 in New Jersey.27 She married28 Jan- -1800, Elijah Everett, b. 1770/80 in Kingwood Township, Hunterdon Co, NJ,28 (son of Samuel Everett and Nancy Thatcher), d. Jan-11-1850,28 resided (settled) in Sparta Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,28 occupation doctor.28
Elijah: Spelling of name may have been Everitt.
i. JOSEPH G.
ii. MARGARET G. EVERETT15.
93. Phebe Dickson (32.Margaret4, 9.John3,
187. i. ANDREW DICKSON28.
iii. JOHN CHURCH.
v. NELSON CHURCH.
94. Alexander Gaston (33.John4, 9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Aug- 2-1772 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,7,33 d. Feb-11-1856 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,11,33 resided (settled 1838) in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,33 occupation merchant & Connecticut Legislature.88
Was captain of Company 6, 21st Connecticut Regiment, in
1797. Was member of Connecticut
Legislature 1810-1812 and 1833-1835.
He married (1) Apr-1-1803,33
Olive Dunlap, b. Jun- 5-1769 in
He married (2) Apr- 2-1816,27
Kezia: Alexander Gaston's second wife, Kezia Arnold, was a descendant of Thomas Arnold (b. 1599), a brother of William Arnold, who accompanied Roger Williams to Rhode Island and was one of the 54 original proprietors of the colony, with Thomas joining them in 1654.
Children by Olive Dunlap:
i. ESTHER GASTON b. Jul-17-1804 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,27 d. Jun- 3-1860 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA.27
Had five children, none of whom had any children of their own.
She married William K. Potter, b. Aug- 7-1803,184 d. Sep-10-18__.184
ii. JOHN GASTON b. Aug-30-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,184 d. May-29-1824 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT.27,
Had no children.184
Children by Kezia Arnold:
188. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Oct- 3-1820.
95. Elijah L. Gaston (35.Robert4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun- 9-1793. He married186 Eunice Bennett.
96. Robert Kasson, Jr. (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr-10-1773, d. Sep- -1846 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY.187
189. i. THOMPSON KASSON b. Oct- 2-1795.
ii. LOVINA KASSON b. Mar-11-1797.91
190. iii. JAMES KASSON b. Dec-28-1798.
iv. NANCY KASSON b. Jun-23-1801.91 She married187 (1) ___ Harback. She married187 (2) ___ Tuller.
191. v. CHARLES B. KASSON b. Feb-23-1803.
192. vi. MASON G. KASSON b. May-12-1804.
vii. ELIZABETH KASSON b. May-26-1806.91
viii. MARGARET KASSON b. Feb-10-1808.91
193. ix. EPHRAIM KASSON b. Apr- 1-1810.
x. NATHAN B. KASSON b. May-12-1814.91
97. William Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1775,187 d. 1813,187 occupation wheelwright.187 He married 1792,187 Sally Richards, b. 1776,187 d. 1840.187
194. i. ARCHIBALD KASSON b. Jan- 7-1793.
ii. JOSEPH KASSON b. 1799,187 d. 1833. He married 1812,188 Patience A. Sanders.
iii. HIRAM KASSON b. 1801,188 d. 1833.188
195. iv. NELSON KASSON b. 1803.
98. Harvey Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec- 4-1781,188 d. Aug-26-1836 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY.188 He married Oct-11-1803,188 Wealthy Burt, b. Apr-14-1788.188
i. JAMES KASSON b. Apr-16-1805.188
ii. ALVIN KASSON b. Dec- 2-1806,188 occupation farmer.188
iii. SMIRA KASSON b. Feb- 1-1809.188 She married ___ Green.
iv. DONEY KASSON b. Mar- 9-1811.188
196. v. CHAUNCEY C. KASSON b. Dec-15-1812.
vi. AUSTIN KASSON b. Feb-22-1815.188
vii. SALLY ANN KASSON b. Feb-23-1817,188 d. Jul-13-1852.188
197. viii. AMASA C. KASSON b. Jan-21-1819.
198. ix. GEORGE B. KASSON b. Apr-17-1822.
xi. HARVEY Z.
KASSON b. Jun-26-1827,188 resided in
xii. ALEXANDER J. KASSON b. Apr- 5-1829,188 occupation manufacturer of gloves, etc.188
99. Alexander Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- -1792. He married Apr- -1812,188 Susan Briggs, b. Jul- 3-1792.188
i. SAMANTHA M. KASSON b. Jan-21-1814.188
199. ii. MARVIN KASSON b. Nov-24-1815.
iii. WATSON KASSON b. Dec- 3-1817,188 occupation farmer.188
iv. JANE M. KASSON b. Jan- 3-1820.188
v. JOSEPH KASSON b. Sep- 5-1822.188
vi. SUSAN N.
Nov-18-1825,188 d. Oct-25-1853. She married188
vii. MELVINA KASSON b. Feb-23-1827.190
100. Alexander Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-14-1783 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90 d. Jun-23-1865 in Lorain Co, OH,36 buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.36
He married (1) Sep-21-1807,36
i. ANDREW GASTON b. Feb- 4-1810,36 d. Dec-23-1831 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.36
ii. LUCETTA GASTON b. Jul-15-1811,36 d. Jul-11-1813 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.36
200. iii. LUCY MARIAH GASTON b. Jan-19-1813.
201. iv. GEORGE BELCHER GASTON b. Nov- 8-1814.
202. v. MARIA GASTON b. Oct-14-1816.
vi. ELVIRA GASTON b. Jul-15-1818 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,36 d. Jan-25-1914 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,,36 buried in Tabor, Fremont Co, IA.192,36
Gaston and her husband, Lester Ward Platt, worked as missionaries with the
Pawnee Indians in
Gaston Platt was born in
Gaston Platt, teacher and abolitionist and underground railroad worker, was
born in Danby,
1861 Elvira Platt returned to teaching Pawnee children, which she continued
until 1872 with a few interruptions for Civil War work. Lester Platt died in 1875 and Elvira Platt
joined the staff of the
Gaston Platt, aged 95 years, died at
Elvira Gaston Platt was a sister of
George B. Gaston, one of the founders of
At Percival (then known as Civil Bend) she lived, her home a "shrine" to young and old.
She served in the Sanitary Commission
during the civil war, and was later matron of the Soldiers’ Orphan Home at
Mrs. Platt made her home in Tabor for many years and made her life felt here for uplift. For the last seventeen years she has lived at Oberlin. In the 95 years of her life, Mrs. Platt has combined manifold experiences, and has seen and helped in the upbuilding of our western country.
She was known throughout many states as a woman of great power. A memorial service will be given in her honor here at Tabor."
married36 1841 in Oberlin,
203. vii. EMALA FAIRCHILD GASTON b. Jun- 5-1820.
viii. ALONZO GASTON b. Dec-22-1821 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,36 d. Jan- 4-1892 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,36 buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.36 He married Oct-13-1844,36 Amanda E. Stratton.
204. ix. CELIA H. GASTON b. Jan-16-1824.
x. EDWARD P. BRADSTREET GASTON36 [adopted] b. Jun- 6-1830, occupation attorney.36
Edward Bradstreet Gaston was adopted by Alexander & Lydia Belcher Gaston when he was about age 8, after his mother died. Edward wrote a letter at age 95 telling of his life with the Gastons. He practiced law in Cincinnati, OH until age 90.36
101. Heman Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-13-1786 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Aug-10-1855 in Lorain Co, OH.36,
Spelling "Heman" is correct.
He married Jan- 1-1812,194, Mary Wheeler, b. Aug-29-1793 in New York,194,36 (daughter of Elizur Wheeler and Olive Kasson), d. Oct-16-1838.194,36
i. CAROLINE S.
Oct-19-1812,194 d. Feb- 8-1817
ii. WILLIAM WHEELER GASTON b. Sep-22-1814,194 d. Dec- 1-1845.194 He married194 Mary Sinnott.
iii. NANCY GASTON b. Jul-24-1816,194 d. Dec- -1816 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.
iv. GEORGE RODNEY GASTON b. Nov- 7-1817.194 He married Dec-29-1840,194 Louisa Bissell.
vi. BEVEL HULL GASTON b. Sep-30-1821,194 d. Feb- 1-1823.194
205. vii. HENRY ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 9-1823.
viii. ANN ELIZA GASTON b. Nov-11-1825,194 d. Sep-21-1839.194
ix. EMILY CAROLINE GASTON b. Feb- 7-1828,194 d. Jan-12-1856.194 She married194 ___ Smith.
x. EDGAR KASSON GASTON b. May-10-1830,194 d. Oct-19-1872.194
206. xi. JAMES KASSON GASTON b. Apr-17-1832.
xii. ELLEN FRANCES GASTON b. Nov- 8-1834, d. Aug- 1-1846.200
102. Ebenezer Gaston, census name Ebenner Gaston (38.David4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 6-1782 in Old Stockbridge, Berkshire Co, MA,99 d. Jan-27-1863,99 census 1860 in Sadsbury Twp, Crawford Co, PA, census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY, occupation mason. He married34 Hannah Hammond, b. Jul-14-1790,99 d. Oct-11-1853,99 census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY.
207. i. EDMUND WAITE GASTON b. Aug-16-1809.
ii. NELSON GASTON b. Mar-21-1816,34 d. Sep-13-1846.34
iii. MARIETTA GASTON b. Jul- 2-1818,34 d. Jun-28-1861.34
iv. SUSANNA GASTON b. Sep- 5-1821,34 d. Oct-21-1859.34
v. GRACE GASTON b. Jun-14-1824.34
vi. LUTHER S. GASTON b. Feb-14-1828.34
vii. SCHUYLER MOSES GASTON b. Feb-14-1828,34 d. Apr-13-1906.34
103. Esther Jane Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1770, d. 1814.202
Moved with her husband in 1806 to Israel Twp, Preble Co, OH, presumably because they were opposed to slavery. They helped to found the Hopewell Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Israel Twp that the Rev. Alexander Porter later pastored. Esther Gaston and Ebenezer Elliott had eight children, and Ebenezer had two more wives, Margaret Mitchell and Nancy Henry.202
She married ca 1794 in Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC, Ebenezer Elliott.
i. JOSEPH GASTON ELLIOTT b. 1795,202 d. 1834.202
ii. JAMES ELLIOTT b. 1797,202 d. 1883.202 He married202 Sarah Boyd, b. 1800,202 d. 1880.202
iii. JANET ELLIOTT b. 1800,202 d. 1881.202 She married202 (1) Ebenezer Elliott Douglas, Sr., b. 1794,202 d. 1837.202 She married202 (2) William Hood, d. 1850.202
iv. WILLIAM ELLIOTT b. 1801,202 d. 1854.202 He married202 Sarah Hearn, b. 1815,202 d. 1871.202
v. JOHN ELLIOTT b. 1803,202 d. 1875.202 He married202 (1) Mary Latta, b. 1796,202 d. 1837.202 He married202 (2) Margaret McMillen, b. 1813,202 d. 1858.202
vi. EBENEZER NEWTON ELLIOTT b. 1805,202 d. 1892.202 He married202 Ann J. Willis, d. 1892.202
vii. HUGH ELLIOTT b. 1808,202 d. 1894.202 He married202 (1) Henrietta Brower, b. 1816,202 d. 1850.202 He married202 (2) Elizabeth Avaline Robertson, b. 1826,202 d. 1909.202
viii. ISAIAH ELLIOTT b. 1810,202 d. 1897.202 He married202 Isabella Davidson, b. 1807,202 d. 1886.202
104. John Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 2-1772 in Chester Co, SC,107 d. Jul- 6-1847.107 He married107,103 Anne Porter, b. Jul- 7-1782,107 (daughter of John Porter and Mary Brownfield), d. bef 1844.107
i. JOSEPH ALEXANDER GASTON b. Mar- 4-1810 in Chester Co, SC,107,17 d. Feb-11-1868 in South Carolina,107,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.17,103 He married107,103 Elizabeth Wylie, b. Oct- 2-1810,17 d. Oct-11-1850,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.17,103
105. Alexander Walker (40.Jane5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 49.)
106. Robert Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774 in Greene Co, GA,102 [But researcher Dallin S. Nielsen, a direct descendant, reports birth in Rowan Co, NC.], d. Apr- 6-1829 in Autauga Co, AL.102 He married in Morgan Co, AL,102 [But researcher Dallin Nielsen, a direct descendant, reports marriage in 1799 in Greene Co, GA.], Abalena ___.
107. Jane Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 8-1777 in Greene Co, GA,102 [Birthplace also reported as Lancaster Co, PA. (http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/reid.htm)], d. 1860. She married,204 George Reid II, b. 1774 in Rowan Co, NC,204 (son of George Reid), d. 1853.204
George: Served in the Georgia House of Representatives from Jackson Co, GA as of Jan 12 1801; was Justice of the Inferior Court of Gwinnett Co, GA from Feb 2 1819 to 1821; and was Senator from Gwinnett Co GA 1819-1821 and in Extra Session of 1821. He was among the first settlers in Carroll Co, GA upon its organization in 1826. [The Reid Family, by L. D. McPherson, a Reid descendant, 1938; cited at http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/reid.htm]204
i. JACK REID205.
ii. JOSEPH REID204.
209. iii. RHESA REID b. 1797.
210. iv. ASA REID b. 1799.
v. ANN REID205 b. 1800 in Greene Co, GA,204 d. 1850.204 She married204 John McMullen.
vi. CATHERINE "KATIE" REID205 b. 1803 in Jackson Co, GA.205,204 She married204 (1) Elisha Earnest. She married204 (2) Isaac Wigginton.
211. vii. GEORGE W. REID b. 1803.
212. viii. JANE "JENNIE" REID b. 1805.
ix. MATTHEW GASTON REID204 b. 1806,205,204 d. 1876.204 He married204 (1) Martha J. ___. He married204 (2) Frances Ann Nix.
x. MARGARET ANNIE REID205 b. Feb-29-1809,205 d. 1862.204 She married204 John Lewis Hamilton, d. 1874.204
xi. JOHN S. REID b. 1810.204
xii. ROBERT ALEXANDER REID b. Apr- 3-1811,205 d. 1885.204 He married204 Nancy K. Adrian.
xiii. ELIZABETH REID205 b. 1814.204 She married204 Wilson Brown.
213. xiv. THOMAS HENRY REID b. 1816.
108. Alexander Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1780 in Rowan Co, NC, [Reid Family Genealogy, on file at Daughters of the American Revolution Library, Washington, DC, gives birthplace as Greene Co, GA.], d. 1837 in Greene Co, GA.102,206 He married Dec- 9-1802 in Greene Co, GA,206 Sallie Garner, b. 1774.206
i. JOHN GARNER GASTON b. 1803 in Greene Co, GA.206
214. ii. MATTHEW GASTON b. 1805.
iii. WILLIAM T. GASTON b. 1814 in Greene Co, GA.206
109. Matthew Gaston, Jr.
(41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2,
1.Jean1), b. 1785,102 d. in
i. MARY ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH JANE GASTON.
215. iii. JOHNNIE MATTHEW GASTON.
110. John Gaston (42.Alexander5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), d. 1806 in Abbeville Co, SC.6 He married Unknown.
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1802 in Abbeville Co, SC,64 d. ca 1872 in Ouachita Co, AR.64
to the Butler/Wilcox County area of
married64 Elizabeth Wardlaw,
b. 1797 in
216. ii. DAVID GASTON b. Mar-28-1802.
111. James Gaston (46.John5,
12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1777 in
217. i. JAMES GASTON b. 1800.
112. Esther Waugh Gaston126 (46.John5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married ca 1806 in South Carolina,126 Samuel Gaston, b. Oct-16-1787 in Chester Co, SC,126 (son of William Gaston and Mary McClure), d. Mar- 1-1826 in Jefferson Co, IL,126,44,124 resided (settled, in 1819) in Marion Co, IL.44,124
Samuel Gaston's wife is identified in the DAR Lineage Book only as Esther Gaston, her parentage not stated. Other sources show her to be his second cousin, as both were great-grandchildren of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon.
218. i. WILLIAM GASTON.
113. Stephen Gaston (47.James5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,12 d. 1837.12
Probably moved to
He married Mary Davidson, b. 1778,12 d. 1858.12
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1804 in Tennessee.12
219. iii. WILLIAM DAVIDSON GASTON b. Feb-22-1808.
iv. AGNES GASTON b. ca 1814 in Illinois.12 She married12 Thomas S. Dennis, b. 1814,12 d. 1860.12
220. v. STEPHEN HARVEY GASTON b. Nov-30-1818.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. ca 1820 in Illinois.12
vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. ca 1821 in Illinois.12
114. John Gaston Walker (49.Esther5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married 1798,113 Jane McCain.
221. i. WILLIAM WALKER.
115. John Brown Gaston title: Dr. (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-23-1791,44 d. Jan-24-1864. He married44 Mary Buford "Polly" McFadden, also known as Polly Buford,116 also known as Mary Beaufort McFadden,44 b. 1805, d. 1886.210
222. i. JAMES MCFADDEN GASTON b. 1824.
223. ii. JOSEPH LUCIUS GASTON.
224. iii. JOHN BROWN GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 4-1834.
225. iv. T. CHALMERS GASTON b. 1847.
116. Narcissa Gaston (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-17-1792,44 d. Aug-22-1871, buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC. She married44 Nov- 2-1819, Samuel Lewis.
Narcissa Gaston was the second wife of Samuel Lewis.
226. i. MARGARET ELIZA LEWIS.
117. Hugh McClure121 (51.John5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married121 Margaret Crane.
227. i. ELIZA JANE MCCLURE.
118. Hannah McClure (53.William5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 64.)
119. David D. Rosborough (55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- -1815 in South Carolina,123 census 1900 in Belton, Bell Co, TX, resided (settled) in Texas.14
228. i. EDWARD E. ROSBOROUGH b. Jul- -1847.
120. Alexander M. Rosborough
(55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1817 in South
Carolina,146 census 1880 in
Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, census 1850 in
El Dorado Co, CA, resided (settled, in 1848) in Eureka, Humboldt Co, CA,14 occupation lawyer, judge,14,,180.
He married Ellen N. ___, b. ca 1842 in
Alex M. Rosborough, 54, b. South Carolina, occupation
District Judge; Ellen N, 28, b. Maine; Alex J, 5. b.
1880 Census, Alameda Co,
A. M. Roxborough, 65, b. SC, lawyer; wife Ellen P, 37, b. Maine; son Alexander J, 14, b. California; dau Fannie J, 11, b. California; son Joseph J, 4, b. California.
1910 Census, Alameda Co,
Head of household Alexander J. Rosborough, 44, single, secretary at power & light company; mother Ellen N, 65, widowed, mother of 6 children (2 still living); brother Joseph J, 34, single, real estate broker; nephew Robert R. Gardiner, 16, b. Calif; nephew Alexander R. Gardiner, 15, b. Calif; help Lee Lim, 13, b. China, kitchen helper.
1920 Census, Alameda Co,
Ellen N. Rosborough, 77, b. Maine, widowed; son Alic J. Rosborough, 54, b. Calif, single, manager at power company; grandson Alexander Gardiner, 24, b. Calif, single; sister-in-law Fannie Raynes, 84, b. Maine, widowed.
i. ALEXANDER J. ROSBOROUGH, census name Alic J. Rosborough, b. ca 1865 in California,212 census 1880, 1910, 1920 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, occupation 1910 secretary at power & light company.
ii. FANNY J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1869 in California,212 d. bef Apr 1910,213 census 1880 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA.
iii. JOSEPH J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1876 in California,180 census 1880, 1910 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, occupation 1910 real estate broker.213
121. William Gaston, Jr. (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 1-1786 in Chester Co, SC,126 d. Sep-21-1869 in Jefferson Co, IL,126 military War of 1812.44 He married ca 1813 in South Carolina,126 Jane "Jennet" McMillan.
229. i. SAMUEL GASTON.
122. Samuel Gaston (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 112.)
123. Robert Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-17-1787,129 d. Jul-13-1848.129 He married129 Ann Wakefield, b. ca 1792 in South Carolina,212 census 1870 in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC, resided originally in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC.129
i. ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH "SALLIE" GASTON. She married129 Andrew Cowan.
iii. ROSA GASTON. She married129 William Pearson.
230. iv. WILLIAM ROSBOROUGH GASTON b. Dec-25-1827.
124. James Nickels "Jimmy" Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1789 in Lancaster Co, SC, d. Jul-31-1876,215 buried in Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC,215 resided since 1800 in Spartanburg, Spartanburg Co, SC,215 military War of 1812.215
"James Nickels Gaston donated much land around Reidville for the erection and establishment of the Reidville Male and Female colleges. He was a public-spirited and generous hearted citizen with high standing in the community."215
He married129 Mary Powers, b. 1789,215 d. 1860,215 [Death date either Apr or Aug 28 1860.].
232. ii. AMZI WILLIFORD GASTON b. Apr-16-1813.
233. iii. THOMAS PINKNEY GASTON b. Apr-29-1815.
234. iv. SARAH ADELINE GASTON b. 1817.
v. JAMES A. GASTON d. young, cause of death killed by a tree.216
vi. WILLIAM POWERS GASTON216.
vii. JOSEPH JAMES GASTON216.
125. Hugh Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-29-1790.129 He married129 ___ McElrath.
235. i. HARVEY GASTON.
236. ii. EMILY GASTON.
iii. MARY JANE GASTON.
Married an Italian. Had no children.133
126. Samuel Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- 4-1798,133 d. Sep-12-1857.133 He married133 Sarah Wakefield.
i. TOM LARKIN GASTON. He married133 Mary Gillespie. There were no children from this marriage133.
237. ii. MARGARET GASTON.
127. Thomas Logan Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 7-1805,133 d. Mar-24-1854 in Asheville, Buncombe Co, NC,133 buried in Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC,133 [No grave marker except the engraved initials "T. G." on a field stone, located next to the grave of James A. Gaston.], resided in Asheville, Buncombe Co, NC.133
He married133 (1) Apr-16-1829, Prudence Doolen, b. Feb- 4-1809,133 d. Oct- -1837.133
He married133 (2) Jul-12-1842,217 Margaret E. Walker,217 resided in Spartanburg District, SC.133 There were no children from this marriage133.
Margaret: Identified as "Mrs. Margaret Walker," so Walker was probably her name from a previous marriage.133
Children by Prudence Doolen:
i. HARRIET KESIAH GASTON b. Mar-19-1830,133 d. Aug- -1832.133
ii. JOSIAH PERRY GASTON b. Apr-30-1832,133 d. May- 5-1890.217 He married Aug-23-1855,133 Martha Jones.
238. iii. PARLEY CLENNEY GASTON b. Jul-30-1835.
128. Robert Gaston (60.Hugh5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1799.12 He married12 Sarah Bullock, b. 1803.12
239. i. JAMES BULLOCK GASTON b. 1822.
129. Alexander F. Gaston122
(64.William5, 18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jan-19-1807 in
In addition to the three children listed here, Alexander F. Gaston may also have had another daughter, Eliza W. Gaston, b. Jul 15 1841, who on Apr 22 1861 married Samuel Simpson Kirkland.
He married (1) Mar-14-1831 in Christ Episcopal Church, New Bern, NC,54,122 Eliza W. Jones,122 b. ca 1808,54 (daughter of Hugh Jones), d. Apr- -1837.