1. Jean (John) Gaston, b. ca 1600 in Foix,
France., Jean (John) Gaston of France was the first
known ancestor of our Gaston family.
There has been much speculation regarding his ancestry, ranging from
descendancy from the Grand Duke of Tuscany to the possibility that he belonged
to the Bourbon family and was a cousin to King Louis XIV of
"That the Gaston family was a French family there is no
doubt. As early as 1445, 'two gentlemen'
of the name of Gaston, living at or near LaMothe St. Didier, became interested
in what were believed to be wonderful cures wrought at the shrine of St. Andrew
in that town, especially because one of these Gaston sons was there cured of
the disease known as 'St. Anthony's Fire.'
In consequence, they devoted their property to the work, and, seven
other persons assisting, built a large hospital. The hospitallers soon founded the
'Congregation of Regular Canons of the Order of Anthony,' and one of the
Gastons was made Grand Master of the Order.
(See McClinton and Strong's "Cyclopaedia of Biblical
Literature" (1894), Vol. I, p. 252).
The name was common in
There are numerous Gaston family crests, or coats of arms,
pertaining to Gastons of various origins.
Burke's "General Armory of
An excellent resource pertaining to Gaston origins and related information is the website Planet Gaston, found at http://gaston.siteperso.net/ . Some Gaston researchers have attempted to show tenuous royal connections and paint a romanticized picture of the family history, and it is therefore likely that some embellishment of the facts has occurred over the years. A highly informative treatment of the facts and myths of the Gaston legend can be found at http://home.mindspring.com/~bgaston2/_images/Gaston_Legend.pdf . The Gaston DNA Project, which affords participants an opportunity to find their common heritage through DNA testing and sharing of information, is found at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gaston
This is a genealogy of the descendants of this Jean (John)
Gaston, with particular emphasis on those branches of the family tree closest
to the principal compilers, Samuel David Gaston and Geneva Gaston Brown. The information presented here was obtained
from countless sources over many years of research. Wherever possible, the original source is
documented, but the reader can rest assured that even when a source is not
specified, the compilers were highly confident of the accuracy of the
information before including it in this genealogy. By its very nature, this collection is a work
in progress, and additional information regarding the early generations, as
well as the current one, will be added as it becomes known. In that vein, the reader is invited to inform
us of any errors or additional information for future updates. [Samuel David Gaston (1934-2012) & Geneva
Gaston Brown (1926-2001), principal compilers; R. L. Brown, editor] He married Agnes
Agnes: Some researchers identify Agnes as possibly the daughter of Phillip of Navarre, and it is also said that she was accused of witchcraft in 1650 [per "Surnames of Scotland" by George F. Black]. But other researchers have convincingly refuted those assertions, and have further cast doubt that the wife of Jean Gaston was named Agnes at all. Although we side more with the skeptics, we nonetheless report Jean Gaston's wife as Agnes simply out of tradition.,
2. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1642.
3. ii. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1645.
b. 1648 in
2. William Gaston (1.Jean1), b. ca 1642 in Scotland, d. in Ireland,
immigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3 William Gaston (b.
1642), along with his brothers, John and Alexander, went to County Antrim in
Northern Ireland between 1662-1668. He
is referred to by genealogists as "the first Irish William Gaston" to
distinguish him from brother John's son William and others. He was the father of the
4. i. (MALE) GASTON.
3. John Gaston (1.Jean1), b. ca 1645 in Scotland, d. in Ireland, emigrated abt 1660-1668 to County Antrim, Ireland.3 John Gaston (1645) or his father John (1600) was listed on the hearth-money rate list at Magheragall, Upper Massereene Barony, in the extreme south of County Antrim, Ireland, SW of Belfast. The family later moved a few miles north, as John (1645) had a son William ca 1680 at Carenleigh, Cloughwater, near Ballymena. Clough was a few miles north of Ballymena in Kilconway Barony, and held five Gaston households at time of the 1740 Protestant Householders index of County Antrim.6 He married Unknown.
5. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1680.
6. ii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1687.
7. iii. MARY GASTON b. 1695.
8. iv. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1700.
9. v. JOHN GASTON b. ca 1703.
10. vi. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1714.
4. (Male) Gaston (2.William2, 1.Jean1). He married Unknown, in
11. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Feb- 5-1702.
5. William Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. 1680 in Cloughwater, County Antrim, Ireland,
d. ca 1770 in Ireland,3,,,
William's brothers, John, Hugh, Joseph and Alexander, arrived in America ca
1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New Jersey. William himself remained in
Olivet: Name given as Mary Lemmon (sic) in Colonial Families of the United States, Vol III, p. 175.
12. i. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 4-1703.
13. ii. MARY GASTON b. 1712.
14. iii. JANET GASTON b. 1714.
15. iv. MARTHA GASTON b. 1718.
16. v. ROBERT GASTON b. 1720.
17. vi. HUGH GASTON b. 1722.
18. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1727.
19. viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1727/30.
20. ix. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1735.
6. Hugh Gaston, also known as Hugh of
Peapack (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1687 in County Antrim, Ireland,,
d. Dec-23-1772 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,14,,
buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17,14
Hugh, along with his brothers, William, John and Joseph, arrived in
America about 1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New
Jersey. Hugh obtained land in
21. i. JOHN GASTON, SR. b. ca 1719.
22. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1720.
23. iii. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1725.
24. v. HUGH GASTON, JR. b. 1734.
25. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1737.
vii. REBECCA GASTON b. Dec-12-1739 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 d. Jun-23-1819. Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and thus the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he may actually have been their grandfather. She married19 William Logan, b. Mar-18-1736,15 d. Jan- 8-1814,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation Captain.19
viii. JAMES GASTON. Presumed to be a son of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), as a James Gaston, probably a brother to John Gaston of New Jersey (b. ca 1719), was listed as a subscriber to the fund for building Allentown Church parsonage, 1758, in connection with that of John Gaston of Upper Freehold. However, that James Gaston may actually have been the one baptized on Mar 28 1742 as the eldest son of John Gaston (b. ca 1719).
name of James Gaston appears as a member of the congregation of
ix. ALEXANDER GASTON b. in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.23
7. Mary Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. 1695 in
From "Family Records or Genealogies of the First Settlers of the Passaic Valley," p. 68: "James Cauldwell, with his wife Mary, emigrated from Ireland, about the year 1732, when his son William was six years old, and settled on Long Hill, on lot No. 30, addition of the Elizabethtown lots, which it appears he drew. From tradition among the families, it would seem, and I am led to believe, that James Cauldwell's wife was Mary Gaston, sister of the father of Hugh Gaston, of Peapack. Hugh Gaston was brother of Capt. William Logan's wife, and probably also brother of the wife of Thomas Kirkpatrick, at Liberty Corner. His children called him Uncle Hugh Gaston, and Mr. Gaston, Mrs. Logan and the old Kirkpatrick family claimed kin to the Cauldwell family."
26. i. WILLIAM CAULDWELL b. ca 1726.
8. Joseph Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1700 in County Antrim, Ireland,4,15 d. Apr- -1777 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4,15,22 resided aft abt 1720 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,4 resided until abt 1720 in Ireland,4,22 occupation farmer.15 Joseph, along with his brothers, William, John and Hugh, arrived in America about 1720 through the Port of Perth Amboy and settled in New Jersey. He was a member of Baskingridge Presbyterian Church. He may have been married more than once.4,8,,15 He married22 Margaret ___, 1725/28,15 b. ca 1705,4 d. Aug-31-1795 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,4,15 buried in Jellow Frame Presbyterian Church, Frelinghuysen, Sussex Co, NJ.
Margaret: Margaret Gaston lived with her son, Joseph, after the death of her husband, Joseph Gaston in 1777.15
b. 1726 in Bernards Twp,
27. ii. MARGARET GASTON b. 1728.
28. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Nov-10-1730.
29. iv. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-28-1732.
30. v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Nov-10-1738.
vi. PRISCILLA GASTON, also known as Purcilla Gaston,27 also known as Prucilla Gaston, b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,27 resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27 She married Daniel McCain, Sep-24-1771 in New Jersey,27,28 (son of James McCain), resided 1771 in Somerset Co, NJ.27
31. vii. ANN GASTON.
9. John Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1703 in County Antrim, Ireland,7,28 d. Mar-29-1783 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT.7,28 John Gaston was born in County Antrim, Ireland, probably near Ballymena (or possibly Ballymoney), in 1703 or 1704. Along with brother Alexander (and possibly a third brother who settled in New Jersey), John arrived in America between 1720-26 through the Port of Perth Amboy, settling at Voluntown, Windham County, Connecticut in 1726 or 1727. He married Janet Thomson, ca 1735 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28,6 b. 1711 in Scotland,28 (daughter of Alexander Thomson and Mary ___), d. Nov- 3-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.,28
32. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-19-1738.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. May- 3-1739 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 d. 1760,7,28 cause of death disease contracted in the French & Indian Wars,28 occupation Army officer,7 military French & Indian Wars,28 never married.
33. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-10-1750.
10. Alexander Gaston (3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. 1714 in Ireland,,
d. Aug-24-1783 in Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Road Cemetery, Richmond, MA,
resided in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, resided formerly in Salisburgy,
Litchfield Co, CT, resided 1747 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT, military
Officer in French & Indian War.
Emigrated to American with his brother John about 1720-26 and settled at
Mary: Emigrated to
i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Aug- 9-1744,33 d. Aug- 2-1787 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, buried in Cone Road Cemetery, Richmond, MA.36 He married34 Naomi Tilden, b. Sep- 9-1743,34 d. May- 6-1822.34
34. ii. JOHN GASTON b. Mar- 3-1746.
35. iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Dec-28-1747.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Sep-20-1749.33
36. v. JANET A. "JENNIE" GASTON b. Dec-27-1750.
vi. MARGARET GASTON b. Jan- 5-1753,33 d. Mar- 8-1807.34
37. vii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-28-1754.
38. viii. DAVID GASTON b. Jan-13-1757.
ix. THOMAS GASTON b. Mar-16-1759,33 d. 1823,26 military Corporal - Revolutionary War.26 He married34 Sarah Chatman.
x. PHEBE GASTON, also known as Phoebe Gaston, b. Apr-22-1765,33 d. Dec- 7-1835.34 She married (1) John Bacon, Jr., Jun-11-1788 in Berkshire Co, MA. She married27 (2) Elisha ___.
11. Alexander Gaston (4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1),
b. Feb- 5-1702 in
i. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1733 in Ireland.6
39. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Oct- 8-1738.
40. iii. JANE GASTON b. 1740.
41. iv. MATTHEW GASTON b. ca 1748.
42. v. ALEXANDER GASTON b. ca 1750.
vi. MARY LOUISA GASTON b. bef 1755 in Ireland.6
12. John Gaston, also known as Justice John Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 4-1703 in Ireland, d. 1782 in South Carolina,17,3,, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled 1751/52) at Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC,3 immigrated 1749 to Pennsylvania,3, occupation farmer, surveyor, Justice in South Carolina.13 Emigrated first to Pennsylvania in 1749, then to Chester District, South Carolina, in about 1751-52, settling on Fishing Creek. Served as King's Justice before 1776, and as leader of the patriots of his vicinity during the British incursion of 1780-81. He is often referred to by Gaston genealogists as "Justice John." The nine sons of John and Esther Gaston served as soldiers in the American Revolution, and four of them lost their lives in that war.
An account of Justice John Gaston is found in the historical
novel "Polly of the Pines," by Adele Eugenia Thompson, published in
1906 by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Company.
Polly was Mary Dunning, a brave girl of the
43. i. MARGARET GASTON b. Aug-29-1738.
44. ii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1741.
45. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jun- 5-1743.
46. iv. JOHN GASTON b. Jun-24-1745.
47. v. JAMES GASTON b. Apr-15-1747.
vi. ROBERT GASTON
b. Mar-11-1749 in
48. vii. HUGH GASTON b. Mar-12-1751.
viii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug-24-1753,44,45 d. 1781.45
ix. DAVID GASTON b. Jul- 7-1755,45,44 d. Aug- 7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.45,44 Killed in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging Rock, South Carolina, along with his two brothers, Robert and Ebenezer.44
b. Sep-15-1757,45,44 d. Aug-
7-1780 in Hanging Rock, SC.45,44 Killed in Revolutionary War Battle at Hanging
49. xi. ESTHER GASTON b. Oct- -1760.
50. xii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jan-22-1763.
13. Mary Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1712 in Ireland,, d. 1802,46 buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery, Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC,17 resided (settled) in South Carolina.44 Elizabeth F. Ellet's "The Women of the American Revolution" provides a lengthy profile of Mary Gaston McClure, citing her brave and courageous actions during the American Revolution. [Burgess, "The Gaston Genealogy," p. 82] The Lineage Book of the Daughters of the American Revolution, p. 103, states that Mary Gaston McClure "is recorded in history as 'The Cherokee Heroine.'" She married41 James McClure, occupation Justice.
51. i. JOHN MCCLURE44.
52. ii. MARTHA MCCLURE b. 1754.
53. iii. WILLIAM MCCLURE44.
iv. MARY MCCLURE. She married44 Samuel Lowry.
v. (FEMALE) MCCLURE. She married44 Edward Martin.
14. Janet Gaston, also known as Jinny
Gaston,41 (5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1714 in
i. WILLIAM STRONG d. ca 1776-83 in Revolutionary War.44
d. aft 1833, resided in
James and Letitia Strong were cousins.44
54. iv. MARGARET STRONG44.
v. JANET STRONG. She married ___ Gladney.44
15. Martha Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1718 in Ireland, resided (settled) in Chester Co, SC.14,41 She married14,41 Alexander Rosborough, also known as Alexander Rosbrough.14
i. WILLIAM GASTON ROSBOROUGH occupation minister,14 never married.14
ii. JOSEPH ROSBOROUGH resided (settled, abt 1800) in Indiana.14
55. iii. ALEXANDER ROSBOROUGH II14.
56. iv. JOHN ROSBOROUGH14 b. 1776.
v. (FEMALE) ROSBOROUGH d. aft 1833, resided (settled) in Tennessee.14 She married J. Bowman, d. bef 1833, occupation minister.
16. Robert Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1720 in County
d. bef May 9 1787 at Lynch's Creek, Lancaster Co, SC,49 resided at Lynch's Creek, Lancaster Co,
SC.44 Resided at Lynch's Creek, Lancaster County,
SC. Lived previously in
57. i. WILLIAM GASTON44 b. Jul-10-1757.
58. ii. THOMAS GASTON b. Jul-18-1759.
59. iii. JAMES GASTON44 b. Jul-24-1761.
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. 1764,12 d. Mar- 6-1816.12,44 She married44 John McCreary, b. 1754,12 (son of James McCreary and Margaret Gaston), d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3
McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were
actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William
Gaston (b. 1680 in
v. JOHN GASTON
b. ca 1766 in
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. ca 1770 in South Carolina,12 d. Sep- 4-1839 in Greene Co, TN,12, never married.12
b. ca 1772 in
viii. STEPHEN GASTON
ix. MARTHA GASTON b. ca 1774 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1851 in Pulaski Co, KY.12 She married Isaac Dye.
60. x. HUGH GASTON44 b. 1776.
17. Hugh Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1722 in Ireland,
d. Oct-20-1766 in South Carolina, buried in Burnt Meeting House Cemetery,
Wylie's Mill, Chester Co, SC, immigrated abt 1766,44 occupation Presbyterian minister.44
Author of a religious book called "Gaston's Concordat." < http://members.tripod.com/RGaston/Concordance.html
> Unlike his siblings, Hugh initially
b. Feb- 6-1749 in
b. Feb-16-1750 in
61. iii. MARTHA GASTON b. Jun-11-1752.
iv. JAMES GASTON
b. Oct- 6-1754 in
v. MARY GASTON
b. Dec- 7-1756 in
62. vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Jun-16-1759.
63. vii. THOMAS GASTON.
viii. MARY GASTON
b. Apr- 4-1763 in
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Apr-27-1765 in Ireland.44
18. Alexander Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1727 in Ballymena,
County Antrim, Ireland,
d. Aug-20-1781 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,14,
occupation physician.41,44 Received his medical degree from the
University of Edinburgh, then joined the Royal British Navy as a surgeon. He was with the fleet in 1762 when
Margaret: Educated at a Roman Catholic convent in
i. (MALE) GASTON b. bef 1778, d. in infancy.
64. ii. WILLIAM JOSEPH GASTON b. Sep-19-1778.
65. iii. JANE GASTON b. ca 1780.
19. Elizabeth Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. 1727/30 in
i. WILLIAM KNOX occupation minister.44
66. ii. JAMES KNOX44.
iii. JOHN KNOX.
67. iv. HUGH KNOX44.
v. SARAH KNOX d. aft 1833. She married44 John Johnston.
20. William Gaston (5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1735 in Ireland, d. 1790 in Kell's Ford, Chester Co, SC,44,41 cause of death drowned.44 Served as captain of a volunteer company, 1775, between Broad and Catawba rivers in South Carolina. He married41 Jane Harbison, aft 1775.44
Jane: Sister of James Harbison.
68. i. HUGH GASTON44.
69. ii. WILLIAM GASTON44.
21. John Gaston, Sr. (6.Hugh3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1719,
d. aft 1793,15 resided
(settled) in Monmouth Co, NJ, occupation gristmill owner. Settled in Upper Freehold (now Millstone)
Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ, about 1741, where in 1758 he was owner of a grist and
fulling mill and a member of Dr. William Tennent's Freehold Presbyterian
congregation. He was a subscriber in
1758 to the fund for a parsonage for
i. MARY GASTON b. 1739, baptized Dec- 9-1739 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,,19,15 d. in infancy.15
70. ii. JAMES GASTON b. 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. 1744, baptized Jul-15-1744 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19 d. aft 1801, resided until aft 1801 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.15,19
iv. MARY (TWIN)
GASTON b. 1747 in
v. ELIZABETH (TWIN) GASTON b. 1747, baptized Mar- 8-1747 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,19,15
71. vi. DANIEL GASTON b. Jan- 9-1748.
vii. CATHARINE GASTON b. 1751, baptized Jun- 2-1751 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,22
72. viii. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. Sep-16-1752.
b. 1756 in
73. x. JANE GASTON b. Dec-11-1758.
22. William Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1720,61 d. Dec- -1755 in Pennsylvania.14,15 Took up land in (Upper) Mount Bethel Township, Bucks (now Northampton) Co, PA, on February 20, 1751. He was killed by Indians in December 1755.14,15 He married Unknown, d. bef Sep 1762.14,15
Unknown: Identified by one researcher (Sharon Wassom,
74. i. JOHN GASTON, JR. b. May- -1740.
75. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. ca 1742.
iii. HUGH GASTON b. ca 1745,15 d. Feb- -1812 in Shenango Twp, Beaver (now Lawrence) Co, PA,12 resided 1795 in Allegheny Co, PA,,15 resided formerly in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA,15 military 1st Lt, 3rd Co, 6th Bn, Northampton Co (PA) Militia (Revolutionary War).15 He married Jane ___.
iv. JENNET GASTON, also known as Jane Gaston, b. ca 1748.15 She married15,66 Moses Phenix, d. bef 1830 in Beaver Co, PA.67
76. v. JAMES GASTON b. ca 1750.
23. Joseph Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1725,67 d. 1775 in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.66 Took up land in Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA, in Jan 1765. Served as a King's Justice from 1766 to 1775. Listed in "The DAR Patriot Index" as having performed patriotic service in the time leading up to the War of Independence.15,66 He married Isabel Simonton, d. aft 1792.
Isabel: Some doubt exists about Isabel's maiden name. She was probably a sister of Robert Simonton, who settled in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, before 1754, whose land at that date adjoined the land of Hugh Gaston, and who moved to Pennsylvania and died in Mount Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, in 1786, leaving children James, Ephraim, Robert, Peter, Benjamin, Margaret Nelson, Jean Britton, and Esther Ross, of whom James & Peter settled in Washington Co, PA. One research team (Gene & Norma Harrington Maas at http://www.genemaas.net/Gaston_roots.htm) report her name as Isabel Simonton Galbraith.
77. i. HUGH GASTON66 b. Jan-18-1764.
ii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
78. iii. JAMES GASTON66 b. ca 1767.
iv. JOHN GASTON
resided (settled) in
79. v. ALEXANDER GASTON66 b. Jul-22-1769.
24. Hugh Gaston, Jr. (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1734,,,19 d. Jun-25-1808 in New Jersey,17,15,19 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ,15 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19 occupation farmer & lay judge (appointed 1782).15 By some accounts, Hugh Gaston Jr. was the grandson of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), but he was probably his son. Of Hugh Gaston Jr.'s four children, two were borne by his first wife (Mary Sloan), none by his second wife (Mary Adams), and two by his third wife (Mary Kirkpatrick).15,19 He married (1) Mary Sloan, b. 1742,19, (daughter of William Sloan and Mary Shields), d. Aug-14-1766 in New Jersey,17 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (2) Mary Adams, b. 1741,19 (daughter of John Adams and Agnes ___), d. Feb-16-1795 in New Jersey,17 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 He married19 (3) Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick, also known as Polly Kirkpatrick, b. Nov-23-1761 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,19,15 (daughter of David Kirkpatrick and Mary McEowen), d. Jul- 1-1842,19,15 resided in Peapack, Somerset Co, NJ.73
Children by Mary Sloan:
ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Dec-18-1765,15,19 d. Aug-14-1777 in New Jersey,15,19 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.
Children by Mary "Polly" Kirkpatrick:
80. iii. SAMUEL KIRKPATRICK GASTON b. 1795.
25. Elizabeth Gaston (6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1737.19,15 Known to be a sister of Hugh Gaston Jr. (b. 1734) and would therefore have been the daughter of Hugh Gaston (b. 1687), although there is a possibility that Hugh Gaston (b. 1687) was their grandfather. One source lists her date of birth as 1730. She married19,15 Thomas Kirkpatrick, resided (settled) in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.19,15
Thomas: Connection, if any, between the families of
David Kirkpatrick and Thomas Kirkpatrick, both of
81. i. JOHN KIRKPATRICK19.
ii. JANE KIRKPATRICK d. aged abt 60,19,15, never married.19,15,80
26. William Cauldwell (7.Mary3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1726 in
Ireland,24 d. 1799 in New
immigrated 1732.25 William and Elizabeth Thompson Cauldwell had
a total of ten children. He married Elizabeth Thompson, in
i. JOHN CAULDWELL. He married24 Hannah Rutan (daughter of Abrahm Rutan).
27. Margaret Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1728 in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA.22 Moved with husband from Somerset Co, NJ, to Redstone, Fayette Co, PA. She married22 Andrew Kirkpatrick (son of Alexander Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth ___), resided (settled) in Fayette Co, PA,22 resided formerly in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22
Andrew: Came to
i. ALEXANDER KIRKPATRICK.
ii. JENNET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Abner Johnson (son of Samuel Johnson).
iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK d. Jun-24-1803.15 She married15,22 Hugh Bartley, also known as Hugh Barclay,22 resided in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation farmer.15
iv. MARGARET KIRKPATRICK. She married15,22 Joseph McMartin.
82. v. MARY KIRKPATRICK22 b. ca 1755.
83. vi. SARAH KIRKPATRICK22.
vii. ANNE KIRKPATRICK.
viii. HANNAH KIRKPATRICK.
28. John Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1730 in
Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15
d. Oct- 3-1776 in Lamington, Somerset Co, NJ,22,15
buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation farmer & merchant. Provided non-military patriotic support
during the American Revolutionary War. Was a farmer and active merchant in
Children by Elizabeth Ker:
i. CATHERINE GASTON b. May-12-1759,22 d. Apr-14-1762.22
84. ii. WILLIAM GASTON22 b. Jan-13-1761.
85. iii. JOSEPH GASTON22 b. May- 2-1763.
Children by Sarah Ogden:
iv. JOHN GASTON
resided (settled) in Lansingburg (
86. v. STEPHEN GASTON22 b. Jul-20-1769.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON d. Sep- 5-1851, resided (settled) in Hamilton Co, OH.22 She married22 Elias Hedges.
87. vii. ISAAC GASTON22 b. Mar-25-1773.
88. viii. MARGARET GASTON22.
29. Robert Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jan-28-1732 in
Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,
d. Sep- 2-1793 in Torbet Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem,
Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,28
military Captain, Revolutionary War.
Robert and Rosanna Cooper Gaston resided in
89. i. GRACE GASTON69 b. Nov-25-1764.
90. ii. JOSEPH GASTON28 b. Nov-19-1766.
91. iii. MARGARET GASTON28 b. Dec-17-1768.
iv. MARY GASTON b. Feb-12-1770.28
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Apr- 5-1773.28
vi. ANNE GASTON b. Mar-25-1774.28
vii. GEORGE WASHINGTON GASTON b. Apr- 2-1777.28
viii. JOHN GASTON b. Feb- 8-1780.28
30. Joseph Gaston (8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Nov-10-1738 in
Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27
d. Oct-24-1804 in Hardwick Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,
occupation farmer, grist mill owner.
During Revolutionary War, served as Paymaster of the NJ Militia from
92. i. MARTHA GASTON b. 1774.
ii. MARGARET GASTON27 b. 1776.27 She married John Boyd, Apr-10-1806,27 b. in Pennsylvania, (son of William Boyd and Catherine ___), occupation minister.
Possibly had one daughter, Margaret Boyd.15
31. Ann Gaston27 (8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Bernards Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, d. bef 1777.15 She married28 David Chambers.
i. JOSEPH CHAMBERS.
ii. WILLIAM CHAMBERS.
iii. JOHN CHAMBERS.
32. Margaret Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct-19-1738 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,29 d. Feb- 5-1811 in Middlefield, Hampshire Co, MA.8 She married28 James Dickson, b. 1728,28 d. 1815.28
James: Name appears as "
i. JAMES DICKSON.
ii. JOHN DICKSON.
iii. ALEXANDER DICKSON.
iv. JOSEPH DICKSON.
v. NANCY DICKSON. She married28 William Church.
93. vi. PHEBE DICKSON28.
33. John Gaston (9.John3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-10-1750 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27 d. Oct-26-1805 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,28 occupation Connecticut Legislature.28, He married Ruth Miller, Dec-20-1770,27,28 b. Nov-16-1750 in Plainfield, Windham Co, CT,27,28 (daughter of Alexander Miller and Esther Knight), d. May-10-1825 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT.28,7
94. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 2-1772.
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. Dec-13-1781 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,27,33 d. Jul-22-1785 in Sterling, Windham Co, CT.27
34. John Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Mar- 3-1746,33 d. Sep- 6-1834 in Stockbridge,
Berkshire Co, MA.33 Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies,"
p. 48, contains an apparent misprint, in that it shows a John Gaston (b. 1746)
as a son of Alexander (b. 1754), with that John in turn having a son John (b.
1786). Since this is an absolute
impossibility, we conclude that the John (b. 1746) was actually meant to be a
son of Alexander (b. 1714), which Hanna also shows. Burgess' "The Gaston Genealogy," p.
44, shows a John Gaston born 1/8/1786 to a John Gaston. Taking all this into account, we believe the
lineage is correct as we present it.
Burgess also shows other children born to a John Gaston in Berkshire Co,
MA, in the same general time frame, but there is insufficient evidence to conclude
(particularly since we don't know his wife's name) that that was the same John
Gaston (b. 1746). Those children and
their parents as listed were: Mary, b.
10/20/1774, dau of John & Miriam Gaston (prob the same as Mary, baptized
2/27/1786, dau of John Ghaston); Eunice, b. 11/16/1777, dau of John &
Miriam Gaston (prob the same as Eunice, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John
Ghaston); Elizabeth, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as
Elizabeth Gaston, b. 4/10/1784, parents not listed); Rachel, baptized
12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the same as Rachel Gaston, b. 5/23/1780,
parents not listed); Achsah, baptized 12/1/1785, dau of John Ghaston (poss the
same as Achsa Gaston, b. 4/6/1782, parents not listed) (another entry shows
Achsah Gaston, granddaughter of Dea. John Gaston, adopted by him and his wife
and baptized on 7/21/1811);
i. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 8-1786 in Berkshire Co, MA, d. Mar- -1873 in Massachusetts.33
35. Robert Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-28-1747,33 d. Mar- 6-1829.34 He married34 Rozanna (Rhoda) Tilden, b. Jan-28-1732,34 d. Sep- 2-1793.34
95. i. ELIJAH L. GASTON b. Jun- 9-1793.
36. Janet A. "Jennie" Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-27-1750.33 Identified by Hanna in "Ohio Valley Genealogies" as Janet A. Gaston, daughter of Alexander Gaston & Mary "Molly" Wilson, but by George M. Kasson in "Genealogy of a Part of the Kasson Family in the United States and Ireland" as Jennie Gaston, parents not identified. She married33, Robert Kasson, b. 1741,91 (son of William Kasson and Elizabeth McKay), d. Sep-25-1826, resided in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY,91 occupation wheelwright.91
Robert: Robert Kasson was a soldier in the French and Revolutionary wars. But in the latter war, he objected to the calling in of French aid, because they were Roman Catholics. He ultimately left the service, for which he was court-martialed, but later reprieved.91
96. i. ROBERT KASSON, JR. b. Apr-10-1773.
97. ii. WILLIAM KASSON b. 1775.
98. iii. HARVEY KASSON b. Dec- 4-1781.
iv. ANNA KASSON. She married Jeremiah Ferguson.
v. PHEBE KASSON. She married92 Henry Ferguson.
vi. OLIVE KASSON. She married92 Deacon Brown.
vii. POLLY KASSON. She married92 ___ Bailey, resided in Adams, Jefferson Co, NY.92
99. viii. ALEXANDER KASSON b. Apr- -1792.
37. Alexander Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Oct-28-1754 in
Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,8,36
d. Jul-12-1823 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,
buried in Cone Road Cemetery, Richmond, MA.36 Although identified by some sources as a
"Captain," other reliable sources specify that this Alexander Gaston
enlisted as a Private in Capt Aaron Rowley's company in John Brown's detachment
of the Berkshire County militia on June 30 1777, and that he was discharged on
July 26 1777, having "served twenty-seven days at Fort Ann, on an alarm at
Ticonderoga." - See "Soldiers and Sailors of
In addition to the ten children given by other sources, Robert "Bob" Gaston of Longview WA, a direct descendant, also identifies an eleventh, Albert Gaston. Since this is Bob Gaston's direct line, we include it here. He married Huldah Norton, Feb-12-1782, b. Jun- 9-1765, d. Apr-26-1832.96
100. i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Oct-14-1783.
ii. ELCY (ELSIE)
GASTON b. Jan-22-1785 in
101. iii. HEMAN GASTON b. Sep-13-1786.
iv. AMOS GASTON
b. Oct- 6-1788 in
v. SARAH GASTON
b. Dec- 1-1790 in
b. Apr- 5-1798 in
vii. SAMUEL NORTON GASTON b. Feb- 4-1800 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 baptized Jun-17-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Aug-14-1823.36
viii. HENRY GASTON
b. Mar-21-1802 in
ix. MARIA GASTON b. Apr- 5-1804 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Aug-18-1839.36 She married36 ___ Worden.
x. ALBERT GASTON b. Dec- 5-1805 in Berkshire Co, MA.36
xi. GROVE NELSON GASTON b. Feb- 3-1811 in Berkshire Co, MA,36 baptized May-26-1811 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89 d. Apr- 1-1855 in Berkshire Co, MA,36 buried in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.36 He married (1) Emeline M. Salmon, Jun- 3-1840 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA, (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jun-28-1853.36 He married36 (2) Jane Salmon (daughter of Luther Salmon and Unknown), d. Jul- 3-1863.36
38. David Gaston (10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1757 in Voluntown, New London Co, CT,8 d. Aug-29-1830 in New York. He married34 Eunice Loomis, b. Oct-23-1761 in Aurelius, NY,100 d. Jul-22-1813 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.100
102. i. EBENEZER GASTON b. Apr- 6-1782.
ii. MARGARETT GASTON b. Sep- 2-1783,34 d. Mar- 8-1807.34
iii. DAVID GASTON, JR. b. Jun-19-1785, d. Oct- 4-1786.34
iv. JAMES GASTON b. Aug-14-1787.34
v. NANCY GASTON b. Mar-26-1792.34
vi. WILLIAM GASTON b. Mar- 8-1794.34
vii. IRA GASTON b. Oct- 3-1796.34
viii. LYDIA GASTON b. Jan-22-1802.34
ix. EUNICE GASTON b. Jul- 2-1805,34 d. Jul- 9-1805.34
x. MARGARET GASTON b. 1807,34 d. Mar- 3-1807.34
39. Joseph Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2,
1.Jean1), b. Oct- 8-1738 in
buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC,17,,,45.
Joseph Gaston emigrated to
Martha: Birthdate may be Nov 6, 1741. Death date may be Apr 3, 1826.
103. i. ESTHER JANE GASTON b. 1770.
ii. ALEXANDER GASTON. He married3 Mary Blair.
104. iii. JOHN GASTON b. Apr- 2-1772.
iv. MARTHA GASTON.
v. MARGARET GASTON.
40. Jane Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1740 - 1749 in Ireland.6 She married Thomas Walker.
105. i. ALEXANDER WALKER b. 1763.
41. Matthew Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1748 in
Ireland,6 d. Dec- 9-1799 in
Greene Co, GA,103 buried in
Macedonia Cemetery, Butts Co, GA.103 Received a land grant in present-day Chester
Co, SC, but moved soon thereafter to Rowan Co, NC, where he married his cousin,
Ann Simonton. Her mother, Margaret
Gaston, had lived and been married in Lancaster Co, PA, moving to
Rebeckah: A widow at time of marriage; maiden name unknown.103
Children by Ann Simonton:
106. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1774.
107. ii. JANE GASTON b. Jan- 8-1777.
108. iii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1780.
109. iv. MATTHEW GASTON, JR. b. 1785.
42. Alexander Gaston (11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750 in Ireland,14 d. ca 1840.14 Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, states that Alexander Gaston (1750-1840), a great-grandson of the first Irish William, remained in Ireland when his four siblings Joseph (who married Martha Gaston), Robert, Matthew and Jane (who married a Walker) emigrated to America and settled in South Carolina.
But it has been reported by some researchers, including Edward H. Couey, a descendant of this Alexander, that he left Ireland in late 1772 with Reverend William Martin's five shiploads of Scottish Presbyterian Covenanters; was granted land on Jan 6, 1773 in present- day York Co, SC; moved to present-day Madison Co, KY by 1787, back to old Abbeville Co, SC by 1797, back to Kentucky after 1800 where he sold his property in 1808, and moved by 1815 to Randolph Co, IL, where he shortly died. Original sources for this information are not known.6 He married Unknown.
110. i. JOHN GASTON.
i. JOHN MCCREARY b. 1754,12 d. Nov- 4-1833,12 occupation Member of Congress,3 military Revolutionary War.3 He married44 Margaret Gaston, b. 1764,12 (daughter of Robert Gaston and Margaret Logan), d. Mar- 6-1816.12,44
McCreary and Margaret Gaston were said to be second cousins, but they were
actually first cousins once removed, as he was the great-grandson of William
Gaston (b. 1680 in
ii. SAMUEL MCCREARY occupation Baptist minister,3 military Revolutionary War.3
iii. MARGARET MCCREARY.
44. Martha Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 39.)
45. William Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jun- 5-1743 in
Pennsylvania,3 d. 1814.45
Unclear which of his two wives (as listed in military records) was the
mother of his children. Hanna, though
stating that William had sons William and James, makes no mention of a
wife. He served as a Captain from
Children by Jenet Love:
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
ii. JAMES GASTON.
iii. KESIAH GASTON.
iv. ANN GASTON.
v. SUSANNA GASTON.
vi. MARTHA GASTON.
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON. She married ___ Akin.
ix. MARGARET GASTON. She married ___ Hoskins.
x. JANE GASTON.
She married ___
46. John Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-24-1745 in Pennsylvania,3 d. Jan- -1808.45 Was a Private in General Sumter's Mounted South Carolina Militia. Following his death, his family moved from South Carolina to Illinois.44 He married Jannett Knox, also known as Jannet or Janette Knox, 1768,45,109 b. ca 1742 in Glascow, Scotland,109 (daughter of James Knox, Sr. and Elizabeth Craig), d. Aug- 1-1839 in Jefferson Co, IL,109,45 resided aft Jan 1808 in Logan Co, KY,109 resided previously in South Carolina.
111. i. JAMES GASTON b. 1777.
b. 1779 in
resided (settled abt 1800) in Logan Co, KY,109
resided originally in
112. iv. ESTHER WAUGH GASTON.
47. James Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Apr-15-1747,44,45 d. bef 1833, resided (settled) in
113. i. STEPHEN GASTON44,45 b. 1774.
ii. ROBERT GASTON b. 1776,12 d. 1817 in Illinois.12
iii. ANN GASTON b. Dec-16-1785,12 d. 1843 in Illinois.12
b. May-30-1790 in
v. MARY GASTON
b. Apr-25-1799 in
48. Hugh Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-12-1751,26,45 d. Jun-13-1836,26,45 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,45 resided (settled) in Mississippi,44 resided (moved 1826) to Wilcox Co, AL,44 resided originally in South Carolina.44 He married26 Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,44 b. 1754,45 (daughter of James McClure and Mary Gaston), d. Dec-21-1836,45 buried in Shell Creek Cemetery, Wilcox Co, AL,45 resided in Alabama.
i. JOHN GASTON.
ii. EBENEZER GASTON.
iii. JAMES GASTON.
iv. WILLIAM GASTON.
v. HUGH GASTON.
vi. MARY GASTON.
vii. MARTHA GASTON.
viii. ESTHER GASTON.
ix. MARGARET GASTON.
49. Esther Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Oct- -1760,45,44 d. 1809.45 Before her marriage to Alexander Walker, Esther Gaston was cited for her heroic deeds during the American Revolution. During the Battle of Rocky Mount, when she saw three men fleeing, she asked to take their arms and fight in the battle herself. This prompted the men to return to the fighting. With patriotic spirits and kind hearts, she and her sister-in-law aided the wounded and dying during the Battles of Rocky Mount and Hanging Rock, dressing the wounds and quenching the thirsts of the seriously injured. She married Alexander Walker, b. 1763, (son of Thomas Walker and Jane Gaston).
Alexander Walker was the g-g-g-grandson of Jean Gaston (b.
ca 1600 in
114. i. JOHN GASTON
50. Joseph Gaston (12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jan-22-1763 in
Chester Co, SC,44,45,
d. Oct-10-1836 in Chester Co, SC,115
buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.,45
Joseph Gaston (1763-1836) served at the battles of Hanging Rock and at
Buford's defeat. He received a pension
as a private in
Wounded with a shot that hit under his eye in the Battle of Hanging Rock, SC, in the Revolutionary War. He later became a Magistrate for over forty years, and was also an elder of the Presbyterian Church. In 1830, he was elected to the South Carolina Legislature, and shortly before his death he published an article describing his Revolutionary War experiences.116 He married117,8 Jane Brown, Apr-20-1790, b. Apr-10-1768, (daughter of Walter Brown and Margaret ___), d. Jun-27-1858,45 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.113,45
115. i. JOHN BROWN GASTON b. Jan-23-1791.
116. ii. NARCISSA GASTON b. Nov-17-1792.
iii. ELIZA GASTON b. Sep-20-1794,44 d. Jun- 7-1845. She married44 ___ Neely.
iv. ESTHER GASTON b. Dec- 4-1795, d. May-25-1856. She married44 D. G. Stinson.
Probably Daniel G. Stinson, b. ca 1794, resident of
v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-29-1797, d. Oct- 1-1802.107
vi. JANE GASTON b. Aug-17-1800,44 d. Oct- 4-1880.107 She married44 ___ Crawford.
vii. JAMES A. H. GASTON b. Oct-17-1801,44 d. Jul-26-1859,107 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.113
viii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan- 1-1808,44 d. Jun-27-1810.107
51. John McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), d. Aug- 6-1780 at Hanging Rock, SC,44 military Captain in Revolutionary War. John McClure was one of the master spirits of the Revolution. He was mortally wounded at Hanging Rock, 1780, while bravely leading his volunteer company against the British regulars. He died in Liberty Hall, where the Mecklenburg Declaration was written. He had three brothers who served in the army, and his mother is recorded in history as "The Cherokee Heroine." He married Mary Porter.
117. i. HUGH MCCLURE.
52. Martha McClure, also known as Martha McLure,44 (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 48.)
53. William McClure (13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation military physician, rank of General.,44 He married123 Sarah Davis.
118. i. HANNAH MCCLURE b. ca 1786.
54. Margaret Strong (14.Janet4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married44 John Simonton.
i. CHARLES H. SIMONTON.
55. Alexander Rosborough II
(15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. in at sea,
occupation physician.14 His first two children, Mary Martha and
William Andrew, were by his first wife, Mary Hemphill. Hanna states that Alexander Rosborough II had
a total of six sons and two daughters by his second wife, Janet Porter, but
identifies only the five children listed here.14
He married14 (1) Mary
Hemphill. He married14
(2) Janet Porter, b. in
Children by Mary Hemphill:
i. MARY MARTHA ROSBOROUGH.
ii. WILLIAM ANDREW ROSBOROUGH.
Children by Janet Porter:
119. iii. DAVID D. ROSBOROUGH b. Sep- -1815.
120. iv. ALEXANDER M. ROSBOROUGH14 b. ca 1817.
v. JOSEPH BROWN ROSBOROUGH b. Dec- -1821 in South Carolina, census 1900 in Belton, Bell Co, TX, resided (settled) in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, UT,14 resided (moved in 1848) to California.14 Moved to California in 1848, then to Salt Lake City, Utah.
resided (settled) in
resided (settled) in
56. John Rosborough, census name John Rosboro (15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,14 d. 1854,14 occupation Clerk of the Court, Chester Co, SC. He married14 Eleanor Key.
Had a total of four sons and six daughters.14
i. JOHN ROSBOROUGH d. Civil War.14
ROSBOROUGH resided (settled) in
57. William Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jul-10-1757 in
Lancaster Co, PA,44,
d. Jan-12-1838 in Marion Co, IL,,12 buried in Old Covenanter Cem, Walnut
Hill, Marion Co, IL,
resided in Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL,44,125
resided 1808 - ca 1829 in Christian Co, KY,127,44,125
military Revolutionary War.44,125 The following is from a handwritten letter by
Frank DeForest Gaston (1853-1920) of Meadville, PA: "A reunion of the Gaston family was
recently held at Centralia, Ill at which over 1,000 persons were present, the
entire connection numbering over 1300. All were descendants of Wm Gaston who
Mary: Possibly the daughter of Samuel McClure and Sarah Rankin.127
i. MARGARET ANN GASTON b. Feb-15-1783 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. Aug-18-1831 in Jefferson Co, IL,127 resided (settled in 1822) in Marion Co, IL,44 buried in Old Covenanter Cem, Walnut Hill, Marion Co, IL.127 She married44 Thomas Kell, ca 1799 in Chester Co, SC.127
ii. ANN GASTON b. May- 9-1784 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. May-17-1867 in Marion Co, IL.127 She married Matthew Rainey, also known as Matthew Raney,129 ca 1804 in Chester Co, SC.127
121. iii. WILLIAM GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 1-1786.
122. iv. SAMUEL GASTON44 b. Oct-16-1787.
v. JOHN R. GASTON b. ca 1790 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. in Bond Co, IL,127 resided (settled, by 1833) in Bond Co, IL.44 He married Elizabeth Carson, Dec-28-1816 in Christian Co, KY.127
vi. SARAH MCCLURE GASTON b. Mar-17-1792 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. Jul- 3-1834 in Marion Co, IL.127 She married Matthew Cunningham, Nov- 5-1812 in Christian Co, KY.127
vii. ROBERT GASTON b. ca 1794 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. in Bond Co, IL,127 resided (settled in 1822) in Bond Co, IL.44
viii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1796 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. ca 1845 in Barry Co, MO.127 She married Andrew Carson, Aug-17-1815 in Christian Co, KY.127
ix. MARY ANN GASTON b. in Chester Co, SC,127 d. 1843 in Jefferson Co, IL.127 She married Hugh White, Sep-13-1827 in Bond Co, IL.127
58. Thomas Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-18-1759 in Lynch's Creek, Lancaster Co, SC,, d. Apr-23-1832,130 occupation wagon maker, military Revolutionary War (served as an irregular).26, "Thomas Gaston was a devout Presbyterian and was at all times ready to give of his time and money to the advancement of community welfare. He owned a flour and grist mill on Gaston Creek, and later installed one of the first cotton gins for that section of the country."132. He married131 Sarah Nickels (daughter of James Nickels), d. Mar-30-1818.130
123. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Sep-17-1787.
124. ii. JAMES NICKELS "JIMMY" GASTON b. Jan-18-1789.
125. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Sep-29-1790.
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Feb- 5-1793. She married130 Jesse Wakefield.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan- 7-1795,134 d. Dec-14-1825,134 never married.134
vi. JOSEPH GASTON b. Jul- 9-1796,134 d. Jul-13-1847.134 He married134 Margaret Caldwell.
Had three daughters.134
126. vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. Sep- 4-1798.
viii. MARGARET LOGAN GASTON b. Jun-13-1800,134 d. Jul-22-1863.134
127. ix. THOMAS LOGAN GASTON b. Apr- 7-1805.
59. James Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-24-1761,125,50 d. Mar- 7-1840 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL, resided (settled) in Wayne Co, IL, resided formerly in Christian Co, KY, resided originally in South Carolina. Hanna, in "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 41, and Burgess in "Gaston Genealogy," p. 121, state only that this James Gaston was a son of Robert Gaston, who was a son of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon. More recent researchers have shown that this James Gaston married Catherine Creighton and settled in Wayne Co, IL, raising a family of eight children. He married12 Catherine Creighton, Mar-20-1783 in Lancaster Co, SC,135 b. 1764,12 d. Jan- 5-1848 in Wayne Co, IL,12 buried in Bovee Cemetery, Wayne Co, IL.135
b. ca 1784 in
b. Jul-11-1785 in
She married136 (2) John Bovee, b. Sep-11-1788,12 d. Jan-21-1868.12
iii. THOMAS CREIGHTON GASTON b. May 4 1790/91 in South Carolina,12 d. ca 1833 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Elender Clark, Feb- 1-1814,12 b. 1792.12 He married137 (2) Sarah Conner, Feb- 1-1821,12 b. Aug-10-1803.12
iv. ROBERT RUTLEDGE GASTON b. Jan-27-1792 in Lancaster Co, SC,12 d. Nov-12-1837 in Wayne Co, IL.12 He married Elizabeth "Betsy" Whitney, Feb- 4-1812 in Christian Co, KY, b. ca 1792,12 d. Dec-28-1849.12
v. ELIHU GASTON b. 1793 in South Carolina,12 d. 1834 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Nancy Wilson, Dec-18-1818,12 b. 1795.12 He married139 (2) Mary Ann Treadway.
vi. JOHN GASTON b. Jan-14-1796 in South Carolina,12 d. May- 5-1875 in Illinois.12 He married (1) Jane Treadway, Dec- 1-1817,12 b. 1781,12 d. 1834.12 He married140 (2) Hannah Bovee, ca 1834,12 b. Aug-14-1814,12 d. Nov-25-1856.12 He married140 (3) Artimissa M. Perrens, ca 1858,12 b. ca 1814,12 d. Sep- 6-1869.12
vii. ELIZABETH GASTON b. 1797 in South Carolina.12 She married12 Benjamine McGehee.
viii. JAMES CYRUS
GASTON b. Aug-28-1798 in
60. Hugh Gaston (16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1776,12 d. 1830,12 resided (settled) in Greene Co, IN, resided formerly in Kentucky, resided originally in South Carolina. He married Jane ___.
128. i. ROBERT GASTON b. 1799.
61. Martha Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-11-1752 in Ireland.44 She married James Ross.
i. JAMES ROSS
b. in Ireland.44 Emigrated to
iii. HUGH GASTON
iv. REBECCA ROSS
resided 1833 in
62. Elizabeth Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun-16-1759 in Ireland.44 She married44 ___ Rogan, b. in Northern Ireland,44 occupation physician, surgeon.44
Of their eight children, six were boys, one daughter died
unmarried, and the other daughter married
She married James Ross, b. in
63. Thomas Gaston (17.Hugh4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. in Ireland,44 d. bef 1833 in New York, resided (settled) in New York.44 He married Unknown, d. bef 1833.
resided (settled) in
ii. (FEMALE) GASTON.
64. William Joseph Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-19-1778 in New Bern, Craven Co,
NC,,55,14 d. Jan-23-1844 in Raleigh, Wake Co,
NC,,55,14 buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery, New
Bern, NC, occupation Congressman & Judge.
William Gaston of
"In 1835, Gaston was an influential delegate to the North Carolina Constitutional Convention, where he fought to have religious qualifications for office holding dropped and where he attempted to protect the voting privileges of free people of color. Gaston also supported federal representation as the basis for representation in the House of Commons and biennial meetings of the state legislature.
"Gaston's law practice was very successful and his
reputation in legal circles was of national scope. Daniel Webster and John
Marshall, among others, consulted with him on legal questions. In 1833, Gaston
was elected by the state legislature to a post as an associate justice of the
North Carolina Supreme Court, where he served until his death in 1844. Gaston's
most famous decision on the bench came in 1834 with the case of State v. Negro
Will. Gaston ruled that a slave had the right to defend himself against an
unlawful attempt of a master, or an agent of a master, to kill him. In the significant
case of State v. William Manuel in 1838, he held that a manumitted slave was a
citizen of the state and thus entitled to the guarantees of the constitution.
Gaston purchased a library for the state Supreme Court while on a trip to
Some accounts put his two older children, Alexander and Susan, as being by his first wife, Susan Hay, but according to his biography, "William Gaston, Carolinian," by J. Herman Schauinger (Bruce Publishing Co, Milwaukee, WI, 1949), Susan died just eight months after they were married. Because his second wife, Hannah, died in 1813, it is clear that his first three children were by her, and his last two by his third wife, Eliza Ann Worthington, daughter of the college physician. He married14 (1) Susan Hay, Sep- 4-1803 in Fayetteville, Cumberland Co, NC,123 b. ca 1787,123 (daughter of John Hay and ___ Grove), d. Apr-20-1804.123 He married14 (2) Hannah McClure, Oct- 6-1805 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,123 b. ca 1786,123 (daughter of William McClure and Sarah Davis), d. Jul-14-1813 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC.
Hannah: Children Alexander and Susan are reported in
Hanna's "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 42, as being William J.
Gaston's children by his first wife. But
Hanna also concurs with the 1803 and 1805 dates of William's first two marriages. Several months pregnant, Hannah died of convulsions
brought on by news that the British were about to attack her town. Their three children stayed with William's
sister Jane in
He married (3) Eliza Ann Worthington,
Sep- 3-1816 in
Children by Hannah McClure:
129. i. ALEXANDER F. GASTON b. Jan-19-1807.
ii. SUSAN JANE
GASTON123 b. Jun- 4-1808 in
Robert Donaldson was a Scotch merchant from
130. iii. HANNAH MARGARET GASTON b. Mar-18-1811.
Children by Eliza Ann Worthington:
iv. ELIZA ANN
b. Sep-27-1817 in Georgetown, Washington, DC,123
d. 1874, census 1850, 1870 in Prince Georges Co, MD. She married George W. Graham,
v. CATHERINE JANE (KATE) GASTON123 b. Jan- 6-1819 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,54,123 d. 1885, never married.14
65. Jane Gaston (18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1780. She married John Louis Taylor, ca 1797, b. Mar- 1-1769 in London, England,54, d. Jan-29-1829 near Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,149 buried Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, Wake Co, NC,149 immigrated ca 1781,149 occupation lawyer & judge,149 education William & Mary College.149
John: Born in London of Irish parents, John Louis
Taylor came to
ii. WILLIAM TAYLOR occupation Congress/NC Chief Justice.
66. James Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), occupation physician.44
i. JANE KNOX. Possibly the same Jane Knox who married Samuel Polk, Mecklenburg Co, NC.44
67. Hugh Knox (19.Elizabeth4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Jane Nesbit, also known as Jennet or Jenny.151_151
131. i. NANCY GASTON KNOX b. ca 1797.
68. Hugh Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Unknown.
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
69. William Gaston (20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), resided in Memphis, Shelby Co, TN,,44 resided formerly in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.152,44 He married152 Priscilla Buford,152 also known as Priscilla Beaufort.44
i. LEROY GASTON occupation Presbyterian Minister.14
132. ii. FRANCES GASTON.
70. James Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1742, baptized Mar-28-1742 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19,15 d. bef 1779. He married Lydia Tapscott, Apr-20-1773 in Monmouth Co, NJ,19,15,20 b. 1755, d. 1791.
133. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Feb-18-1776.
71. Daniel Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 9-1748, baptized Apr- 3-1749
in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,19,15
d. Jun-20-1838 in Northumberland Co, PA.
Served as soldier in Samuel Forman's Regiment of the New Jersey Militia
during American Revolution. Later moved
to Northumberland Co, PA, and applied for an American Revolutionary War
Pension. Lived in Millstone Twp,
Monmouth Co, NJ, during the Revolution.
Children identified by Anna Reger Gaston as John, Catherine, John,
William and Jane, all baptized at
i. JOHN GASTON baptized Apr-14-1776 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.65,19
ii. SARY GASTON b. Sep- -1777.
iii. JAMES GASTON b. Oct-13-1779.
iv. STEPHEN GASTON b. Dec-16-1781.
v. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-16-1784.
vi. ELLEN GASTON b. Jan-23-1787, baptized Jun-24-1787 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.
vii. JANE GASTON b. Jul- 3-1789.
72. John Gaston, Jr. (21.John4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-16-1752 in Monmouth Co, NJ,74 baptized Jan-20-1754 in Old Tennent
Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,22
d. Apr- 6-1829 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,17
buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV,
occupation farmer, blacksmith,
military Revolutionary War. John Gaston,
Jr. and his wife, Anna Davisson, came to Duck Creek,
Anna: Anna Davisson was known also as Ann and Anne,
and also as Davison. The newer spelling
has two "ss" and seems to have been adopted by the clerk of the court
134. i. ANDREW GASTON b. ca 1782.
135. ii. MARY E. "POLLY" GASTON b. May- 4-1785.
136. iii. HUGH GASTON b. Jun- 5-1788.
137. iv. SARAH GASTON b. Dec-29-1790.
138. v. MARGARET GASTON b. Apr-13-1793.
139. vi. JOHN GASTON b. May-24-1796.
140. vii. DEBORAH GASTON b. Aug- 9-1798.
141. viii. JANE GASTON b. Nov-14-1802.
142. ix. JAMES GASTON b. 1804.
143. x. WILLIAM G. GASTON b. Feb- 1-1806.
73. Jane Gaston (21.John4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-11-1758 in New Jersey, baptized
Mar-25-1759 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ,65,22 d. Jan- 7-1808, buried in Old Tennent Church
Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ. Always
resided in the Freehold,
Children by James Mount:
144. i. JOHN GASTON MOUNT b. Jul-28-1775.
ii. EZEKIEL I.
b. Aug-17-1777 in
I. Mount, 72, farmer; Margaret, 60; Elenor, 46; Rebecca, 35; John G, 31;
Margaret, 31; Mary Matilda, 3; Margaret Ann, 1; William Stillwell, 19,
laborer. All born in
Census, Monmouth Co,
Ezekle I. Mount, 83, farmer; Margaret, 70; Elliner, 40. All born in Monmouth. He married (1) Leah ___. He married (2) Margaret Gaston, b. 1790 in New Jersey, d. 1874, census 1850, 1860 in Millstone Twp, Monmouth Co, NJ.
Margaret: It is not known what relationship, if any, this Margaret Gaston had with any of the other Gastons in this genealogy. Given the times and locations, however, it is likely that there was some connection.
iii. SEXTON MOUNT b. Jul-24-1781. He married Margaret Mount, Jun- 4-1808.
Margaret: Unknown what blood relationship, if any, Margaret Mount was to husband Sexton.
iv. CATHERINE MOUNT b. 1784, d. Apr- 2-1819. She married Peter Perrine, Jr., b. Mar- 3-1768, d. Sep- 6-1846.
v. REBECCA MOUNT b. 1786.
Children by Lewis Anderson:
vi. ANNA LLOYD
ANDERSON b. Nov-26-1789 in
viii. HANNAH ANDERSON
b. May-30-1793 in
b. Feb-15-1795 in
b. Feb-15-1797 in
b. Dec-12-1799 in
74. John Gaston, Jr. (22.William4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- -1740 in Monmouth Co, NJ,17,19,,15
d. Sep-10-1823 in Washington Co, PA,17,159
buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,17,14,15 military Major, Revolutionary
War.15 Resided in Upper Freehold Township, Monmouth
County NJ, from before 1760 until after 1767, moving then to Mt Bethel Twp,
Northampton Co, PA, where he took up 275 acres of land in Feb 1772. Served as a Major in the Revolutionary
War. Around 1780-82, moved to Rostraver
Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA, and in about 1790 to Peters (now Union) Township,
Washington Co, PA, his wife's sister Elizabeth accompanying them. He purchased a large tract of land there
From a listing of baptisms in "History of the
145. i. WILLIAM GASTON b. Jul-15-1761.
146. ii. JOSEPH GASTON b. Apr-25-1763.
iii. JOHN GASTON b. Jan- 7-1765,66 baptized Apr-14-1765 in Old Tennent Church, Monmouth Co, NJ.161
iv. SAMUEL (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767,66 baptized Apr-12-1767,161 d. in infancy.66
147. v. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Feb-18-1767.
148. vi. SAMUEL GASTON, SR. b. Oct-10-1772.
149. vii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1776.
b. May- 8-1778,66 d.
Feb-28-1858 in Washington Co, PA,66,67
buried in Mingo Creek Presb Cem, Union Twp, Washington Co, PA,67 never married.67
The birth/death dates of May 8 1778 & Feb 28 1858 are from Hanna, p.
43. Death and burial locations are from
Peter & Jane Topoly, original source not stated. A headstone for this Elizabeth Gaston
conforming to those dates could not be found at the
75. William Gaston (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1742 in Somerset Co, NJ,15 d. ca Apr 1801 in Upper Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.15,66 He married15,66 Elizabeth Simonton (daughter of Robert Simonton and Margaret ___).
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Jul-22-1769 in Pennsylvania,12 d. Jul- 9-1825 in Ohio,12 resided until aft 1811 in Lower Mt. Bethel Twp, Northampton Co, PA.66 He married66 Huldah Einke,12 also known as Hulda Encke,12 b. ca 1773.12
ii. WILLIAM ISAAC GASTON b. ca 1771 in Pennsylvania.12
150. iii. CHARLES W. GASTON15,66 b. 1781.
iv. MARGARET GASTON. She married Elisha Everitt, bef 1806.66
v. ELIZABETH GASTON. She married Simeon Hart, 1806-07.66
76. James Gaston (22.William4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1750,15 d. 1824 in Beaver Co, PA,67 resided 1773 in Northampton Co, PA. There is some speculation that this may be the James Gaston who was a Justice of the Peace of Somerset County in 1781 and was appointed a lay Judge in 1783, as further information regarding him is lacking.15 He married67 Elizabeth Lyle, b. 1760 in Northampton Co, PA,67 (daughter of Robert Lyle and Mary Gilleland).
i. WILLIAM GASTON.
151. ii. ROBERT GASTON.
iii. MARGARET GASTON. She married67 ___ Selby.
iv. ELEANOR JANE GASTON. She married67 ___ Miller.
152. v. MARY "POLLY" GASTON b. Oct-10-1787.
77. Hugh Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1764 in Somerset Co, NJ,15,69 d. Jun-24-1839 in East Liverpool,
Columbiana Co, OH,15,,69
buried in Columbiana Co, OH. Birth place
appears in "History of the
153. i. JOSEPH GASTON b. Dec-24-1789.
154. ii. JAMES WILLIAM GASTON b. Jan-20-1793.
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Feb-23-1794,15,69 d. Jun- 4-1801.15,69
iv. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Sep- 7-1797,15,69 d. Jan-14-1816.15,69
155. v. HUGH GASTON b. Apr- 9-1804.
78. James Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1767 in Somerset Co, NJ,15,
d. May-Ju-1813 in Smith Twp, Washington Co, PA,69 resided (settled abt 1788) in Smith Twp, Washington Co,
PA.69 In about 1788, moved from Lower Mount Bethel
Township, Northampton County, PA, settling in Smith Township, Washington
County, PA. One account (Ohio Valley
Genealogies) lists 7 children as: William, Mary, Jane, Eleanor (who married a
i. MARY GASTON.
She married69 ___
ii. WILLIAM GASTON d. 1830 in Brooke Co, (W)VA,69 never married.69
iii. JOSEPH GASTON.
iv. HUGH GASTON.
v. ISABELLA GASTON.
vi. JOHN GASTON.
156. vii. JANE GASTON69 b. Oct- 2-1792.
157. viii. JAMES W. GASTON69 b. Aug-29-1808.
She married69 ___
158. x. (FEMALE) GASTON69.
79. Alexander Gaston (23.Joseph4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jul-22-1769 in Northampton Co, PA,,15,69,
d. Jul- 9-1825 in Morristown, Belmont Co, OH,,,15,69,166
buried in First Cemetery, Union Twp, Morristown, OH, occupation physician.15
Dr. Alexander Gaston settled with his mother in Canton Twp, Washington
Co, PA about 1792. He later moved to
Brooke Co, (W)VA, and from there, in about 1800, to near St. Clairsville,
Belmont Co, OH, and from there, in about 1811, to Morristown, Belmont Co,
OH. Upon his move in 1800, he "was
accompanied by two men, who helped him cut the timber and build a cabin on his
land. They camped out two weeks under
the cover of their wagons, and were often awakened from the howling of wolves
which infested the forests. His family
consisted of a wife and three children.
For several years after their settlement, they went all the way to
(Note: Hanna, after
presenting Alexander's family and lineage as we have it here, describes another
account of this Alexander Gaston which states that he was the son of Ephraim
Gaston, who was the son of Ebenezer Gaston, who migrated from Ireland with his
brother Matthew (died unmarried); that Alexander had a brother Joseph, who
settled in southern Indiana, and another brother who settled in West
Virginia. Hanna points out that this
account probably assumes Joseph, son of John, who married in
i. JOHN PERRY GASTON b. Apr-24-1793 in Washington Co, PA,69, buried in Harrison Co, OH. He married Ruth McPherson, Sep-14-1829 in Belmont Co, OH.67
ii. JANE GASTON b. Apr-10-1795 in Washington Co, PA,69,169 d. Nov- 4-1796.69
iii. ROBERT GASTON b. Jan-17-1797 in Washington Co, PA,69,169 d. Sep-27-1834.69 He married69 Martha McClure, Jun- 1-1819 in Belmont Co, OH.67
159. iv. EPHRAIM GASTON b. Jun-26-1799.
v. MARY GASTON b. May-20-1801 in Belmont Co, OH,69,169 d. Dec-20-1846,69 resided (settled) in McConnelsville, Morgan Co, OH.69 She married Andrew Tracy, Feb-10-1825 in Belmont Co, OH.67
160. vi. CHARITY GASTON b. Jul-27-1803.
vii. JOSEPH GASTON
b. May-14-1805 in Belmont Co, OH,69,169
d. Jul- 9-1833,69 buried in
viii. ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 4-1807 in Belmont Co, OH.169
161. ix. MATTHEW GASTON b. Jul- 9-1809.
x. ISAAC GASTON
b. Sep-16-1811 in
xi. JAMES GASTON b. Nov- 1-1813.19
80. Samuel Kirkpatrick Gaston (24.Hugh4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1795, d. 1835,171 resided 1816, 1817 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,15 occupation physician.19,15 Thought to have moved west after Oct 1817, as there is no trace of him in New Jersey after that date.15 He married19,15,73 Nancy T. Cooper, 1816,171 b. 1794,171 (daughter of Henry Cooper, Jr. and Rachael Thompson), d. 1866.171
i. HENRIETTA GASTON.
162. ii. WILLIAM GASTON b. 1833.
81. John Kirkpatrick (25.Elizabeth4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married19 Anne Coriell (daughter of Elias Coriell).
163. i. SARAH "SALLY" KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1802.
164. ii. THOMAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1806.
165. iii. ELIZABETH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
166. iv. ELIAS KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1808.
167. v. JAMES KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1810.
169. vii. JANE KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1814.
170. viii. MARY KIRKPATRICK b. 1816.
d. age abt 30 in
171. x. ANN KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1820.
172. xi. HUGH KIRKPATRICK b. ca 1822.
82. Mary Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1755 in
Somerset Co, NJ,64 d. aft 1794
in Orange Co, NC. He married Henry Gomer, 1775, b. ca 1750,64 d. 1782 in
83. Sarah Kirkpatrick (27.Margaret4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married Daniel Johnston (son of James Johnston and Jeannette (Jane) Gaston).
i. ANDREW JOHNSTON b.
ii. JANE JOHNSTON b.174.
174. iii. JAMES THOMPSON
iv. ELIZABETH JOHNSTON b.174.
v. LAVINIA JOHNSTON b.174.
vi. SARAH ANN JOHNSTON.
vii. DANIEL JOHNSTON b.174.
viii. CAROLINE JOHNSTON b.174.
84. William Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-13-1761, d. Feb-13-1809,22 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 occupation harness maker.15 He married Naomi Teeple, Dec-10-1782,22 b. Jul-20-1760,17,27 (daughter of John Teeple and Margaret Castner), d. Jun-20-1818,17,27 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ,17 resided in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ.
175. i. JOHN W. GASTON b. Sep-26-1783.
ii. WALTER GASTON b. Oct-10-1787, d. Nov- 8-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ.
b. Sep-26-1787 in Somerset Co, NJ,22
d. Sep-12-1837 in
iv. MARGARET GASTON b. Oct-30-1789 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov- 3-1827,,22 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17 She married22 John Mehelm McCowen, Mar-30-1819, b. 1788 (son of William McCowen and Martha Mehelm), d. Nov- 7-1820, buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
John: Last name sometimes reported as McEowen, but headstone of wife Margaret has it as McCowen.
v. JOSEPH GASTON b. Feb-13-1792 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Apr- 5-1814,22 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
176. vi. JAMES (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795.
vii. OLIVER B. (TWIN) GASTON b. Jan- 8-1795,22,17 d. Jun-10-1821,17 buried in Lamington Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Somerset Co, NJ.17
viii. ABRAHAM GASTON b. Apr-25-1797,22 d. Jan-21-1823 in Somerset Co, NJ.22
ix. HUGH GASTON b. Aug-27-1800,22 d. Mar-30-1821 in Somerset Co, NJ,22 cause of death catarrhal consumption, education Yale College (admitted, but illness prevented attendance).177
85. Joseph Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- 2-1763,22 d. Oct-16-1796.22 He married Ida Van Arsdale, Mar-1-1781,22 b. Apr-28-1762 (daughter of Philip Van Arsdale and Margaret Stryker).
Ida: Parentage unclear. Daughter of Philip (1734-1776) & Margaret
Stryker (1741-1819) Van Arsdale, per "
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Nov-17-1782 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Nov-11-1857,22 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She married (1) ___ Annin. She married (2) John Collyer, census name John Colyer,147 b. ca 1782 in New Jersey,147 d. Jan- 5-1865, census 1850, 1860 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.
Census, Somerset Co,
Colyer, 68, farmer; Elizabeth Colyer, 68; Andrew J. Gulick, 24, merchant; Eliza
C. Gulick, 21; Anna V. Gulick, 6 months.
All born in
ii. ISAAC VAN ARSDALE GASTON b. Sep- 9-1784 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ,22 d. Feb-11-1811 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ.22 Mormon Genealogy, Washington, D.C.--WILLS--Feb. 29, 1812. Isaac Gaston of Bedminister, Somerset Co. Int. Inventory $1,419.20; made by Samuel Baylan & Elias Brown. Includes saddler's tools, leather and unfinished work in shop. Sworn to by Abraham Van Arsdale & Philip H. Van Arsdale, Adm'rs Apr. 22,1812. File 1507R. He married Jane Van Arsdale, Mar-15-1810.
177. iii. JOHN I. GASTON b. Feb-14-1787.
iv. MARGARET B. GASTON b. Feb-21-1789,22 d. Jul- 9-1804.22
178. v. WILLIAM B. GASTON b. Aug- 9-1791.
vi. SARAH E.
b. Dec- 9-1793,22 d. 1885,22 resided at Basking Ridge, Bernard Twp,
Somerset Co, NJ, census 1880 in Pluckemin, Somerset Co, NJ, census 1860 in
Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ. She
married Garrett Conover, b. ca 1810 in
Census, Somerset Co,
Garret Conover, 50, b. NJ, shoe maker; Sarah Conover, 65, b. NJ; Elvira B. Annin, 56, b. NJ, seamstress.
Census, Somerset Co,
Garrett Conover, 70, b. NJ, boot & shoemaker; wife Sarah, 86, b. NJ.
vii. LYDIA GASTON b. 1795,22 d. 1800.22
86. Stephen Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jul-20-1769, d. in
i. ELIZABETH GASTON b. Oct- 1-1808.
ii. SARAH GASTON b. Jan-24-1810.
iii. MINERVA GASTON b. Feb-14-1812.
iv. JULIA GASTON b. Feb-26-1815.
87. Isaac Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-25-1773 in New Jersey,22 resided (settled) near Morristown, Morris Co, NJ. He married Anna Hedges, Mar-17-1803.15
i. AUGUSTUS L.
GASTON b. May-15-1806,22 d. 1841,22 resided (settled, 1828) in Reily (
180. ii. ELIAS HEDGES GASTON22 b. ca 1819.
88. Margaret Gaston (28.John4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1). She married Smith Scudder (son of Ephraim Scudder and Martha Spinning), resided originally in
181. i. WILLIAM MANSFIELD SCUDDER22 b. ca 1811.
WILLIAMSON SCUDDER b. Nov-24-1816 in
89. Grace Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 77.)
90. Joseph Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Nov-19-1766,17,28 d. Apr-18-1834,17 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem,
Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA,
occupation County Commissioner, military Revolutionary War. Moved from
182. i. ROBERT GASTON b. Mar-30-1790.
ii. CHARLOTTE GASTON b. Sep-22-1792, d. Aug-13-1824,28 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.178 She married28 James Durham, b. 1785,46 d. 1871,46 buried in Warrior Run Church Cem, Delaware Twp, Northumberland Co, PA.178
iii. ROSANNA GASTON b. Jun- 7-1795,28 d. Nov-19-1845.28
183. iv. AARON GASTON b. Apr-25-1799.
v. DANIEL GASTON b. Jul-26-1801,28 d. Apr-28-1860 in Philadelphia, PA,28 census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA, resided (settled) in Philadelphia, PA,28 occupation Presbyterian minister.28 He married Rosanna Morris, also known as Rosa Morris,28 1839,28 b. 1803 in Pennsylvania,28,147 d. 1873,28 census 1850 in Philadelphia, PA.
Daniel Gaston, 48, b. Pa, clergyman; Rosanna Gaston, 45, b. Pa; Ann Morris, 74, b. NJ.
vi. MARY GASTON
b. May-14-1804 in
vii. ANNE GASTON b. Dec-20-1808. She married28 William Sample.
91. Margaret Gaston (29.Robert4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Dec-17-1768,28 d. Sep-10-1807.28 She married Daniel Melick, 1785,28 b. Oct-29-1763,27 (son of Aaron Moelich and Catherine Miller), d. Jul- 9-1815 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ,27 occupation tanner, farmer.15
i. AARON MELICK b. Apr- -1786 in Monmouth Co, NJ, never married.
ii. ELIZABETH MELICK. She married Dennis Van Duyon.
iii. CHARLOTTE MELICK, census name Charlotta Melick, b. ca 1790 in New Jersey,147 census 1850 in Bedminster Twp, Somerset Co, NJ, never married.
184. iv. ROSANNA MELICK28 b. ca 1793.
185. v. JOHN MELICK28 b. ca 1794.
vi. MARY MELICK. She married Peter Sutphen.
vii. DAVID MELICK
b. ca 1798 in
186. viii. WILLIAM MELICK28 b. ca 1800.
ix. DANIEL MELICK
b. ca 1802 in
x. CATHERINE MELICK. She married John Allen.
92. Martha Gaston (30.Joseph4, 8.Joseph3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,27 d. Jan-11-1850 in New Jersey.27 She married28 Elijah Everett, Jan- -1800, b. 1770/80 in Kingwood Township, Hunterdon Co, NJ,28 (son of Samuel Everett and Nancy Thatcher), d. Jan-11-1850,28 resided (settled) in Sparta Twp, Sussex Co, NJ,28 occupation doctor.28
Elijah: Spelling of name may have been Everitt.
i. JOSEPH G.
ii. MARGARET G. EVERETT15.
93. Phebe Dickson (32.Margaret4, 9.John3,
187. i. ANDREW DICKSON28.
iii. JOHN CHURCH.
v. NELSON CHURCH.
94. Alexander Gaston (33.John4, 9.John3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Aug- 2-1772 in Voluntown, New
London Co, CT,7,33 d.
Feb-11-1856 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,11,33
resided (settled 1838) in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA,33 occupation merchant & Connecticut Legislature.88
Was captain of Company 6, 21st Connecticut Regiment, in 1797. Was member of Connecticut Legislature
1810-1812 and 1833-1835. Settled in
Kezia: Alexander Gaston's second wife, Kezia Arnold, was a descendant of Thomas Arnold (b. 1599), a brother of William Arnold, who accompanied Roger Williams to Rhode Island and was one of the 54 original proprietors of the colony, with Thomas joining them in 1654.
Children by Olive Dunlap:
i. ESTHER GASTON b. Jul-17-1804 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,27 d. Jun- 3-1860 in Roxbury, Suffolk Co, MA.27 Had five children, none of whom had any children of their own. She married William K. Potter, b. Aug- 7-1803,186 d. Sep-10-18__.186
ii. JOHN GASTON
b. Aug-30-1806 in Killingly, Windham Co, CT,186
d. May-29-1824 in
Children by Kezia Arnold:
188. iii. WILLIAM GASTON b. Oct- 3-1820.
95. Elijah L. Gaston (35.Robert4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun- 9-1793. He married188 Eunice Bennett.
96. Robert Kasson, Jr. (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr-10-1773, d. Sep- -1846 in Broadalbin, Fulton Co, NY.189
189. i. THOMPSON KASSON b. Oct- 2-1795.
ii. LOVINA KASSON b. Mar-11-1797.91
190. iii. JAMES KASSON b. Dec-28-1798.
iv. NANCY KASSON b. Jun-23-1801.91 She married189 (1) ___ Harback. She married189 (2) ___ Tuller.
191. v. CHARLES B. KASSON b. Feb-23-1803.
192. vi. MASON G. KASSON b. May-12-1804.
vii. ELIZABETH KASSON b. May-26-1806.91
viii. MARGARET KASSON b. Feb-10-1808.91
193. ix. EPHRAIM KASSON b. Apr- 1-1810.
x. NATHAN B. KASSON b. May-12-1814.91
97. William Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1775,189 d. 1813,189 occupation wheelwright.189 He married Sally Richards, 1792,189 b. 1776,189 d. 1840.189
194. i. ARCHIBALD KASSON b. Jan- 7-1793.
ii. JOSEPH KASSON b. 1799,189 d. 1833. He married Patience A. Sanders, 1812.190
iii. HIRAM KASSON b. 1801,190 d. 1833.190
195. iv. NELSON KASSON b. 1803.
98. Harvey Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Dec- 4-1781,190 d. Aug-26-1836 in Broadalbin,
i. JAMES KASSON b. Apr-16-1805.190
ii. ALVIN KASSON b. Dec- 2-1806,190 occupation farmer.190
iii. SMIRA KASSON b. Feb- 1-1809.190 She married ___ Green.
iv. DONEY KASSON b. Mar- 9-1811.190
196. v. CHAUNCEY C. KASSON b. Dec-15-1812.
vi. AUSTIN KASSON b. Feb-22-1815.190
vii. SALLY ANN KASSON b. Feb-23-1817,190 d. Jul-13-1852.190
197. viii. AMASA C. KASSON b. Jan-21-1819.
198. ix. GEORGE B. KASSON b. Apr-17-1822.
xi. HARVEY Z.
b. Jun-26-1827,190 resided in
xii. ALEXANDER J. KASSON b. Apr- 5-1829,190 occupation manufacturer of gloves, etc.190
99. Alexander Kasson (36.Janet4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- -1792. He married Susan Briggs, Apr- -1812,190 b. Jul- 3-1792.190
i. SAMANTHA M. KASSON b. Jan-21-1814.190
199. ii. MARVIN KASSON b. Nov-24-1815.
iii. WATSON KASSON b. Dec- 3-1817,190 occupation farmer.190
iv. JANE M. KASSON b. Jan- 3-1820.190
v. JOSEPH KASSON b. Sep- 5-1822.190
vi. SUSAN N.
b. Nov-18-1825,190 d.
Oct-25-1853. She married190
vii. MELVINA KASSON b. Feb-23-1827.192
100. Alexander Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Oct-14-1783 in
Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,90
d. Jun-23-1865 in Lorain Co, OH,36
buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.36 Went to Danby, NY as a young man, took up
government land and developed a farm, which he sold in 1834 when his family
moved near Oberlin, OH. He was a militia
i. ANDREW GASTON b. Feb- 4-1810,36 d. Dec-23-1831 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.36
ii. LUCETTA GASTON b. Jul-15-1811,36 d. Jul-11-1813 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY.36
200. iii. LUCY MARIAH GASTON b. Jan-19-1813.
201. iv. GEORGE BELCHER GASTON b. Nov- 8-1814.
202. v. MARIA GASTON b. Oct-14-1816.
vi. ELVIRA GASTON
b. Jul-15-1818 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,36
d. Jan-25-1914 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,177,36
buried in Tabor, Fremont Co, Iowa.177,36 Elvira Gaston and her husband, Lester Ward
Platt, worked as missionaries with the Pawnee Indians in Nebraska for
years. There is much written about her
because, as one descendant observed, "she made history." [Bob Gaston,
Gaston Platt was born in
Gaston Platt, teacher and abolitionist and underground railroad worker, was
born in Danby,
1861 Elvira Platt returned to teaching Pawnee children, which she continued
until 1872 with a few interruptions for Civil War work. Lester Platt died in 1875 and Elvira Platt
joined the staff of the
Gaston Platt, aged 95 years, died at
Elvira Gaston Platt was a sister of
George B. Gaston, one of the founders of
At Percival (then known as Civil Bend) she lived, her home a "shrine" to young and old.
She served in the Sanitary Commission
during the civil war, and was later matron of the Soldiers’ Orphan Home at
Mrs. Platt made her home in Tabor for many years and made her life felt here for uplift. For the last seventeen years she has lived at Oberlin. In the 95 years of her life, Mrs. Platt has combined manifold experiences, and has seen and helped in the upbuilding of our western country.
She was known throughout many states as a woman of great power. A memorial service will be given in her honor here at Tabor."
She married36 Lester Ward Platt, May- 6-1841 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH, d. 1875, buried in Tabor, Fremont Co, Iowa.194
203. vii. EMALA FAIRCHILD GASTON b. Jun- 5-1820.
viii. ALONZO GASTON b. Dec-22-1821 in Danby, Tompkins Co, NY,36 d. Jan- 4-1892 in Oberlin, Lorain Co, OH,36 buried in Pioneer Cemetery, Lorain Co, OH.36 He married Amanda E. Stratton, Oct-13-1844.36
204. ix. CELIA H. GASTON b. Jan-16-1824.
x. EDWARD P.
BRADSTREET GASTON36 [adopted] b. Jun- 6-1830, occupation attorney.36
Edward Bradstreet Gaston was adopted by Alexander & Lydia Belcher
Gaston when he was about age 8, after his mother died. Edward wrote a letter at age 95 telling of
his life with the Gastons. He practiced
101. Heman Gaston (37.Alexander4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Sep-13-1786 in
Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA,89
d. Aug-10-1855 in Lorain Co, OH.36, Spelling "Heman" is correct. He
married Mary Wheeler, Jan- 1-1812,195,
b. Aug-29-1793 in
i. CAROLINE S.
GASTON b. Oct-19-1812,195 d. Feb- 8-1817 in
ii. WILLIAM WHEELER GASTON b. Sep-22-1814,195 d. Dec- 1-1845.195 He married195 Mary Sinnott.
iii. NANCY GASTON b. Jul-24-1816,195 d. Dec- -1816 in Richmond, Berkshire Co, MA.
iv. GEORGE RODNEY GASTON b. Nov- 7-1817.195 He married Louisa Bissell, Dec-29-1840.195
vi. BEVEL HULL GASTON b. Sep-30-1821,195 d. Feb- 1-1823.195
205. vii. HENRY ALEXANDER GASTON b. Aug- 9-1823.
viii. ANN ELIZA GASTON b. Nov-11-1825,195 d. Sep-21-1839.195
ix. EMILY CAROLINE GASTON b. Feb- 7-1828,195 d. Jan-12-1856.195 She married195 ___ Smith.
x. EDGAR KASSON GASTON b. May-10-1830,195 d. Oct-19-1872.195
206. xi. JAMES KASSON GASTON b. Apr-17-1832.
xii. ELLEN FRANCES GASTON b. Nov- 8-1834, d. Aug- 1-1846.201
102. Ebenezer Gaston, census name Ebenner Gaston (38.David4, 10.Alexander3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 6-1782 in Old Stockbridge, Berkshire Co, MA,100 d. Jan-27-1863,100 census 1860 in Sadsbury Twp, Crawford Co, PA, census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY, occupation mason. He married34 Hannah Hammond, b. Jul-14-1790,100 d. Oct-11-1853,100 census 1850 in Belfast, Allegany Co, NY.
207. i. EDMUND WAITE GASTON b. Aug-16-1809.
ii. NELSON GASTON b. Mar-21-1816,34 d. Sep-13-1846.34
iii. MARIETTA GASTON b. Jul- 2-1818,34 d. Jun-28-1861.34
iv. SUSANNA GASTON b. Sep- 5-1821,34 d. Oct-21-1859.34
v. GRACE GASTON b. Jun-14-1824.34
vi. LUTHER S. GASTON b. Feb-14-1828.34
vii. SCHUYLER MOSES GASTON b. Feb-14-1828,34 d. Apr-13-1906.34
103. Esther Jane Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1770, d. 1814.203 Moved with her husband in 1806 to Israel Twp, Preble Co, OH, presumably because they were opposed to slavery. They helped to found the Hopewell Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Israel Twp that the Rev. Alexander Porter later pastored. Esther Gaston and Ebenezer Elliott had eight children, and Ebenezer had two more wives, Margaret Mitchell and Nancy Henry.203 She married Ebenezer Elliott, ca 1794 in Fishing Creek, Chester Co, SC.
i. JOSEPH GASTON ELLIOTT b. 1795,203 d. 1834.203
ii. JAMES ELLIOTT b. 1797,203 d. 1883.203 He married203 Sarah Boyd, b. 1800,203 d. 1880.203
iii. JANET ELLIOTT b. 1800,203 d. 1881.203 She married203 (1) Ebenezer Elliott Douglas, Sr., b. 1794,203 d. 1837.203 She married203 (2) William Hood, d. 1850.203
iv. WILLIAM ELLIOTT b. 1801,203 d. 1854.203 He married203 Sarah Hearn, b. 1815,203 d. 1871.203
v. JOHN ELLIOTT b. 1803,203 d. 1875.203 He married203 (1) Mary Latta, b. 1796,203 d. 1837.203 He married203 (2) Margaret McMillen, b. 1813,203 d. 1858.203
vi. EBENEZER NEWTON ELLIOTT b. 1805,203 d. 1892.203 He married203 Ann J. Willis, d. 1892.203
vii. HUGH ELLIOTT b. 1808,203 d. 1894.203 He married203 (1) Henrietta Brower, b. 1816,203 d. 1850.203 He married203 (2) Elizabeth Avaline Robertson, b. 1826,203 d. 1909.203
viii. ISAIAH ELLIOTT b. 1810,203 d. 1897.203 He married203 Isabella Davidson, b. 1807,203 d. 1886.203
104. John Gaston (39.Joseph5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 2-1772 in Chester Co, SC,108 d. Jul- 6-1847.108 He married108,104 Anne Porter, b. Jul- 7-1782,108 (daughter of John Porter and Mary Brownfield), d. bef 1844.108
i. JOSEPH ALEXANDER GASTON b. Mar- 4-1810 in Chester Co, SC,108,17 d. Feb-11-1868 in South Carolina,108,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.17,104 He married108,104 Elizabeth Wylie, b. Oct- 2-1810,17 d. Oct-11-1850,17 buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC.17,104
105. Alexander Walker (40.Jane5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 49.)
106. Robert Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774 in Greene Co, GA,103 d. Apr- 6-1829 in Autauga Co, AL.103 He married Abalena ___, in Morgan Co, AL.103
107. Jane Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 8-1777 in Greene Co, GA,103 d. 1860. She married,205 George Reid II, b. 1774 in Rowan Co, NC,205 (son of George Reid), d. 1853.205
George: Served in the Georgia House of Representatives from Jackson Co, GA as of Jan 12 1801; was Justice of the Inferior Court of Gwinnett Co, GA from Feb 2 1819 to 1821; and was Senator from Gwinnett Co GA 1819-1821 and in Extra Session of 1821. He was among the first settlers in Carroll Co, GA upon its organization in 1826. [The Reid Family, by L. D. McPherson, a Reid descendant, 1938; cited at http://www.couchgenweb.com/family/reid.htm]205
i. JACK REID206.
ii. JOSEPH REID205.
209. iii. RHESA REID b. 1797.
210. iv. ASA REID b. 1799.
v. ANN REID206 b. 1800 in Greene Co, GA,205 d. 1850.205 She married205 John McMullen.
vi. CATHERINE "KATIE" REID206 b. 1803 in Jackson Co, GA.206,205 She married205 (1) Elisha Earnest. She married205 (2) Isaac Wigginton.
211. vii. GEORGE W. REID b. 1803.
212. viii. JANE "JENNIE" REID b. 1805.
ix. MATTHEW GASTON REID205 b. 1806,206,205 d. 1876.205 He married205 (1) Martha J. ___. He married205 (2) Frances Ann Nix.
x. MARGARET ANNIE REID206 b. Feb-29-1809,206 d. 1862.205 She married205 John Lewis Hamilton, d. 1874.205
xi. JOHN S. REID b. 1810.205
xii. ROBERT ALEXANDER REID b. Apr- 3-1811,206 d. 1885.205 He married205 Nancy K. Adrian.
xiii. ELIZABETH REID206 b. 1814.205 She married205 Wilson Brown.
213. xiv. THOMAS HENRY REID b. 1816.
108. Alexander Gaston (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), b. 1780 in Rowan Co, NC, d. 1837 in Greene Co, GA.103,207 He married Sallie Garner, Dec- 9-1802 in Greene Co, GA,207 b. 1774.207
i. JOHN GARNER GASTON b. 1803 in Greene Co, GA.207
214. ii. MATTHEW GASTON b. 1805.
iii. WILLIAM T. GASTON b. 1814 in Greene Co, GA.207
109. Matthew Gaston, Jr. (41.Matthew5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2,
1.Jean1), b. 1785,103 d. in
i. MARY ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH JANE GASTON.
215. iii. JOHNNIE MATTHEW GASTON.
110. John Gaston (42.Alexander5, 11.Alexander4, 4.(Male)3, 2.William2, 1.Jean1), d. 1806 in Abbeville Co, SC.6 He married Unknown.
i. ALEXANDER GASTON b. 1802 in Abbeville Co, SC,64 d. ca 1872 in Ouachita Co, AR.64 Moved to the Butler/Wilcox County area of Alabama ca 1822/1823.6 He married64 Elizabeth Wardlaw, b. 1797 in South Carolina,64 d. in Arkansas.
216. ii. DAVID GASTON b. Mar-28-1802.
111. James Gaston (46.John5, 12.John4, 5.William3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1777 in
217. i. JAMES GASTON b. 1800.
112. Esther Waugh Gaston127 (46.John5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married Samuel Gaston, ca 1806 in South Carolina,127 b. Oct-16-1787 in Chester Co, SC,127 (son of William Gaston and Mary McClure), d. Mar- 1-1826 in Jefferson Co, IL,127,44,125 resided (settled, in 1819) in Marion Co, IL.44,125
Samuel Gaston's wife is identified in the DAR Lineage Book only as Esther Gaston, her parentage not stated. Other sources show her to be his second cousin, as both were great-grandchildren of William Gaston and Olivet Lemon.
218. i. WILLIAM GASTON.
113. Stephen Gaston (47.James5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1774,12 d. 1837.12 Probably moved to Ohio with his sisters about 1801 or 1802, and from there to Tennessee and Illinois.8,45 He married Mary Davidson, b. 1778,12 d. 1858.12
b. Nov-12-1802 in
ii. MARGARET GASTON b. ca 1804 in Tennessee.12
219. iii. WILLIAM DAVIDSON GASTON b. Feb-22-1808.
iv. AGNES GASTON b. ca 1814 in Illinois.12 She married12 Thomas S. Dennis, b. 1814,12 d. 1860.12
220. v. STEPHEN HARVEY GASTON b. Nov-30-1818.
vi. ELIZABETH GASTON b. ca 1820 in Illinois.12
vii. SAMUEL GASTON b. ca 1821 in Illinois.12
114. John Gaston Walker (49.Esther5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married Jane McCain, 1798.114
221. i. WILLIAM WALKER.
115. John Brown Gaston (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-23-1791,44 d. Jan-24-1864. He married44 Mary Buford "Polly" McFadden, also known as Polly Buford,117 also known as Mary Beaufort McFadden,44 b. 1805, d. 1886.211
222. i. JAMES MCFADDEN GASTON b. 1824.
223. ii. JOSEPH LUCIUS GASTON.
224. iii. JOHN BROWN GASTON, JR. b. Jan- 4-1834.
225. iv. T. CHALMERS GASTON b. 1847.
116. Narcissa Gaston (50.Joseph5, 12.John4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Nov-17-1792,44 d. Aug-22-1871, buried in Fishing Creek Presb Church Cem, Chester Co, SC. She married44 Samuel Lewis, Nov- 2-1819.
Narcissa Gaston was the second wife of Samuel Lewis.
226. i. MARGARET ELIZA LEWIS.
117. Hugh McClure122 (51.John5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). He married122 Margaret Crane.
227. i. ELIZA JANE MCCLURE.
118. Hannah McClure (53.William5, 13.Mary4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 64.)
119. David D. Rosborough (55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- -1815 in South Carolina,124 census 1900 in Belton, Bell Co, TX, resided (settled) in Texas.14
228. i. EDWARD E. ROSBOROUGH b. Jul- -1847.
120. Alexander M. Rosborough
(55.Alexander5, 15.Martha4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. ca 1817 in South
Carolina,147 census 1880 in
Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, census 1850 in
El Dorado Co, CA, resided (settled, in 1848) in Eureka, Humboldt Co, CA,14 occupation lawyer, judge,14,,182.
He married Ellen N. ___, b. ca 1842 in
Alex M. Rosborough, 54, b. South Carolina, occupation
District Judge; Ellen N, 28, b. Maine; Alex J, 5. b.
1880 Census, Alameda Co,
A. M. Roxborough, 65, b. SC, lawyer; wife Ellen P, 37, b. Maine; son Alexander J, 14, b. California; dau Fannie J, 11, b. California; son Joseph J, 4, b. California.
1910 Census, Alameda Co,
Head of household Alexander J. Rosborough, 44, single, secretary at power & light company; mother Ellen N, 65, widowed, mother of 6 children (2 still living); brother Joseph J, 34, single, real estate broker; nephew Robert R. Gardiner, 16, b. Calif; nephew Alexander R. Gardiner, 15, b. Calif; help Lee Lim, 13, b. China, kitchen helper.
1920 Census, Alameda Co,
Ellen N. Rosborough, 77, b. Maine, widowed; son Alic J. Rosborough, 54, b. Calif, single, manager at power company; grandson Alexander Gardiner, 24, b. Calif, single; sister-in-law Fannie Raynes, 84, b. Maine, widowed.
i. ALEXANDER J. ROSBOROUGH, census name Alic J. Rosborough, b. ca 1865 in California,213 census 1880, 1910, 1920 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA, occupation 1910 secretary at power & light company.
ii. FANNY J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1869 in California,213 d. bef Apr 1910,214 census 1880 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, census 1870 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co, CA.
iii. JOSEPH J. ROSBOROUGH b. ca 1876 in California,182 census 1880, 1910 in Oakland, Alameda Co, CA, occupation 1910 real estate broker.214
121. William Gaston, Jr. (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan- 1-1786 in Chester Co, SC,127 d. Sep-21-1869 in Jefferson Co, IL,127 military War of 1812.44 He married Jane "Jennet" McMillan, ca 1813 in South Carolina.127
229. i. SAMUEL GASTON.
122. Samuel Gaston (57.William5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1) (See marriage to number 112.)
123. Robert Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-17-1787,130 d. Jul-13-1848.130 He married130 Ann Wakefield, b. ca 1792 in South Carolina,213 census 1870 in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC, resided originally in Reidville, Spartanburg Co, SC.130
i. ELIZABETH GASTON.
ii. SARAH "SALLIE" GASTON. She married130 Andrew Cowan.
iii. ROSA GASTON. She married130 William Pearson.
230. iv. WILLIAM ROSBOROUGH GASTON b. Dec-25-1827.
124. James Nickels "Jimmy" Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jan-18-1789 in Lancaster Co, SC, d. Jul-31-1876,216 buried in Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC,216 resided since 1800 in Spartanburg, Spartanburg Co, SC,216 military War of 1812.216 "James Nickels Gaston donated much land around Reidville for the erection and establishment of the Reidville Male and Female colleges. He was a public-spirited and generous hearted citizen with high standing in the community."216. He married130 Mary Powers, b. 1789,216 d. 1860.216
232. ii. AMZI WILLIFORD GASTON b. Apr-16-1813.
233. iii. THOMAS PINKNEY GASTON b. Apr-29-1815.
234. iv. SARAH ADELINE GASTON b. 1817.
v. JAMES A. GASTON d. young, cause of death killed by a tree.217
vi. WILLIAM POWERS GASTON217.
vii. JOSEPH JAMES GASTON217.
125. Hugh Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep-29-1790.130 He married130 ___ McElrath.
235. i. HARVEY GASTON.
236. ii. EMILY GASTON.
iii. MARY JANE GASTON. Married an Italian. Had no children.134
126. Samuel Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Sep- 4-1798,134 d. Sep-12-1857.134 He married134 Sarah Wakefield.
i. TOM LARKIN GASTON. He married134 Mary Gillespie. There were no children from this marriage134.
237. ii. MARGARET GASTON.
127. Thomas Logan Gaston (58.Thomas5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Apr- 7-1805,134 d. Mar-24-1854 in Asheville, Buncombe Co, NC,134 buried in Nazareth Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Moore, Spartanburg Co, SC,134 resided in Asheville, Buncombe Co, NC.134 He married134 (1) Prudence Doolen, Apr-16-1829, b. Feb- 4-1809,134 d. Oct- -1837.134 He married134 (2) Margaret E. Walker,218 Jul-12-1842,218 resided in Spartanburg District, SC.134 There were no children from this marriage134.
Margaret: Identified as "Mrs. Margaret Walker," so Walker was probably her name from a previous marriage.134
Children by Prudence Doolen:
i. HARRIET KESIAH GASTON b. Mar-19-1830,134 d. Aug- -1832.134
ii. JOSIAH PERRY GASTON b. Apr-30-1832,134 d. May- 5-1890.218 He married Martha Jones, Aug-23-1855.134
238. iii. PARLEY CLENNEY GASTON b. Jul-30-1835.
128. Robert Gaston (60.Hugh5, 16.Robert4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. 1799.12 He married12 Sarah Bullock, b. 1803.12
239. i. JAMES BULLOCK GASTON b. 1822.
129. Alexander F. Gaston123 (64.William5, 18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2,
1.Jean1), b. Jan-19-1807 in
Children by Eliza W. Jones:
i. HUGH JONES
also known as Hugh Joseph Gaston,123
d. Oct- -1862, education (as of 1850)
Georgetown College, Washington, DC,123
military Adjutant, 48th N.C. Troops, Civil War. Obituary, Carolina Observer (
of Hugh Jones Gaston. -- We record with much regret the death of Hugh
Jones Gaston, Adjutant of the 48th N. C. Troops. He was wounded in the battle of
Gaston was the youngest son of Alexander Gaston, Esq., who was the only son of
the Hon. William Gaston. His only
brother, William Gaston, was killed by the Indians, near Fort Walla Walla, some
four or five years since, in his first engagement; and Hugh received his death
wound in his first engagement at
Gaston was physically exempt from military duty, but at the beginning of
hostilities he volunteered as a private in an artillery company at
ii. WILLIAM F.
GASTON123 education (as of 1850)
iii. SUSAN GASTON.
130. Hannah Margaret Gaston (64.William5, 18.Alexander4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Mar-18-1811 in North Carolina,54,123 d. Mar-16-1835 in North Carolina, education private school in Baltimore MD. She married Mathias Evans Manly, Feb-16-1832 in New Bern, Craven Co, NC,222 b. 1801,149 d. 1881,149 occupation lawyer and judge.222
i. JANE MANLY.
ii. HANNAH MANLY.
131. Nancy Gaston Knox151 (67.Hugh5, 19.Elizabeth4,
5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1),
b. ca 1797 in
1850 Census, York Co,
Ephraim Moss, 54, farmer; Nancy, 53; Mary, 24; Elizabeth
A, 18; James, 17; Ephraim, 14. All born
In the adjacent household. living alone, was William Moss, 28. farmer, b. SC.
b. ca 1822 in
ii. MARY MOSS b. ca 1826 in South Carolina,147 census 1850 in York Co, SC.
iii. ELIZABETH A. MOSS b. ca 1832 in South Carolina.147
iv. JAMES MOSS b. ca 1833 in South Carolina,147 census 1850 in York Co, SC.
v. EPHRAIM MOSS
b. ca 1836 in
132. Frances Gaston152 (69.William5, 20.William4, 5.William3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1). She married152 Robert White.
240. i. MARY WHITE.
133. William Gaston (70.James5, 21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Feb-18-1776, d. Feb-16-1853,17 buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ,, military Revolutionary War.15,19 Data on the children of William Gaston & Catharine Johnson, other than Gertrude & William, is from the baptismal records of Cranbury Church, NJ. Other data on this family was obtained from "History of Old Tennent Church," page 449. As a young man, William Gaston served in the Revolutionary War. He married19 Catharine English,17 Mar-14-1804,223,, b. Mar-13-1778,223,227 (daughter of James English), d. Aug-22-1843,, buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.17,229
ii. JOHN BAIRD
iii. MARYANN PERRINE GASTON, also known as Ann P. Gaston,226 b. Mar-20-1810,19,226,223,74 baptized in Cranbury Church, NJ, d. Mar-28-1845,223,17 buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.135 "Ohio Valley Genealogies," p. 45, reports that Mary-Ann Gaston, daughter of William & Catharine, "probably" married John Perrine Jr. But a Family Bible shows her birth name as Maryann Perrine Gaston, that she married Jacob Suydam, and that she died on Mar 28 1845. She married Jacob Suydam.
iv. LETITIA JOHNSON GASTON, also known as Letty Johnson Gaston,223 b. Sep- 3-1811,226,227 d. Feb-20-1900.226,227 She married (1) Elisha W. Thompson, Feb- 7-1837.226 She married (2) Denis Thompson, Mar- -1860.226
v. GERTRUDE GASTON, also known as Gitty Gaston,223 b. Sep-17-1813,226,227 d. Jul-16-1816,227 buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
vi. WILLIAM CONOVER GASTON b. Jan-26-1816,223,226,227 d. Sep-13-1821,226,227,223 buried in Old Tennent Church Cemetery, Monmouth Co, NJ.
vii. HANNAH ENGLISH GASTON b. Jan-26-1818,223,226,227 d. Feb- 4-1904.227,226 She married227,226 ___ Conover.
134. Andrew Gaston (72.John5, 21.John4, 6.Hugh3,
3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. ca 1782 in New Jersey,
d. Dec- 6-1866 in Harrison Co, WV, buried unmarked grave in Broad Run Baptist
Church Cemetery, Jane Lew, Lewis Co, WV, census 1850, 1860 in Harrison Co, (W)VA. 1830 Census,
Household of Andrew Gaston:
1 male, age 40-50
1 male, age 20-30
1 female, age 30-40
1 female, age 20-30
1 female, age 15-20. He married (1) Sarah Romine, Nov-11-1806 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,, (daughter of Samuel Romine). He married (2) Dorcas Stephens, Sep-27-1821 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,232 b. ca 1800 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,230 d. aft 1866, census 1850, 1860 in Harrison Co, (W)VA.
Children by Sarah Romine:
242. i. ANNA GASTON b. 1814.
243. ii. MATILDA "TILLIE" GASTON b. ca 1818.
iii. JOHN GASTON.
135. Mary E. "Polly" Gaston (72.John5, 21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. May- 4-1785 in Monmouth Co, NJ, christened in Harrison Co, (W)VA, d. Oct-11-1865 in Harrison Co, WV,234,17 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV.234, She married Job West, Jan-4-1803 in Harrison Co, (W)VA, b. ca 1774 in Harford Co, MD,236 (son of John West and Frances Howard), baptized Aug-10-1799 in Smithfield, Fayette Co, PA,236 d. ca 1823 in Chillicothe, Ross Co, OH,236 buried unmarked grave in Oldtown Cemetery, Chillicothe, OH, census 1810 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,236 occupation farmer.236
244. i. FRANCES WEST b. ca 1803.
245. ii. RUANNA WEST b. Oct-22-1806.
iv. SARAH "SALLY" WEST234 b. Jan-14-1811 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,234,17 d. Aug-29-1883,234,17 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV.,234 She married Christopher Broherd, Jul-15-1832.
247. v. ELI R. WEST b. Apr- 5-1813.
vi. PHOEBE WEST b. Dec- 7-1816 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,234 d. Sep- 8-1898 in Harrison Co, WV,234 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV.234
vii. JOHN WALDO
b. Jun-28-1817 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,234,17
d. May-18-1829 in Harrison Co, (W)VA,234,17
buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV,17,234,235. Named for the Reverend John
Waldo, an early minister of the
viii. DEBORAH WEST b. Aug-21-1821,17, d. Mar-19-1909 in Harrison Co, WV,234,17 buried in Sinclair Cemetery, Upper Duck Crk Rd, Harrison Co, WV,17,234,235 census 1900 in Grant District, Harrison Co, WV,234 never married.
136. Hugh Gaston, also known as Hughy Gaston, also known as Hugh Gaskin, (72.John5, 21.John4, 6.Hugh3, 3.John2, 1.Jean1), b. Jun- 5-1788 in New Jersey, d. Jul-26-1888 in Lewis Co, WV, buried in Gaston-Henry-Queen Cemetery, Sassafras Run, Camden, Lewis Co, WV,17 census 1870, 1880 in Lewis Co, WV, census 1840, 50, 60 in Lewis Co, (W)VA, census 1830 in Harrison Co, (W)VA. Death notice in the "Republican" newspaper of Saturday, July 28 1888:
"HUGHY GASTON One of our centenarians, aged 100 years, 1 month and 20 days, died at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the residence of his son-in-law, John S. Butcher. By request he was interred on his farm."
Household of Hugh Gaston:
1 male, age 40-50 (this would be Hugh)
1 male, age 15-20 (probably Daniel)
1 male, age 10-15 (probably Eli)
1 male, age 5-10
1 female, age 40-50 (this would be Susannah)
1 female, age 15-20 (probably Anna)
Household of Hugh Gasting (sic):
1 male, age 50-60
1 female, age 30-40
1 female, age 10-15
1 female, under age 5
Hugh Gaston, 62, farmer, b. New Jersey; Elizabeth Gaston, 48, b. Virginia; Henry H. Gaston, 9, b. Virginia; Credilla Gaston, 11, b. Virginia; Amanda Washburn, 24, b. Virginia.
Hugh Gaston, 72, farmer, b. New Jersey; Elizabeth Gaston, 58, b. Virginia; Henry H. Gaston, 18, b. Virginia; Amanda S. Washburn, 34, b. Virginia; Marion H. Gaston, 8.
Hugh Gaston, 81, farmer, b. New Jersey; Elizabeth Gaston, 67, b. Virginia; Marion Gaston, 17, farm laborer, b. Virginia; Amanda Washburn, 43, b. Ohio, cannot write.
1880 Census, Lewis County, WV (Freeman's Creek), enumerated on Jun 2 1880:
Hugh Gaston, 91, farmer, b.
Susana: No record of the parentage or other information of Susana Jett has been found.
In Book 2, p. 388, of Harrison County Marriage Bonds is a record of a bond of $150 being paid by Hugh Gaston and James Coberly (spelling may be Cubberly) in connection with the marriage of Hugh Gaston and "Susana Jett of full age." It is unknown what relationship existed between James Coberly and Susana Jett; we have found only that a James Coberly (b. 1779) and wife Letitia "Tisha" Jett (b. 1783) were residents of Harrison/Gilmer Co in that time period.
A W. Guy Tetrick family information survey completed by great-grandson Ira Dow Gaston in 1931stated that his grandparents were Hugh Gaston, born 1788, died July 5 1888, and Susana Jett, born "unknown," daughter of "unknown," they were married in 1811, and she died May 1 1849. The reported death date is considered suspect,, since husband Hugh Gaston is known to have remarried on June 1 1848.
He married (2) Elizabeth King, Jun-1-1848 in Lewis Co, (W)VA, b. 1801,46, d. Sep-16-1885 in Lewis Co, WV, buried in Gaston-Henry-Queen Cemetery, Sassafras Run, Camden, Lewis Co, WV,17 census 1860, 70, 80 in Lewis Co, (W)VA,,, resided 1835 in Ross Co, OH.
Children by Susana Jett:
248. i. JOHN HUGH GASTON b. Jul-17-1812.
ii. JAMES GASTON245 b. Jul-17-1812 in Harrison Co, (W)VA.
iii. ANNA M. GASTON b. Jan- 3-1814,156 d. Jul-30-1892 at Grove, Doddridge Co, WV, buried in Gaston Family Cemetery, Upper Run, Summers, Doddridge Co WV, cause of death lagrippe (influenza),255 never married.255 Resided with her brother Daniel and his family, according to the censuses of 1850, 1860 and 1880.
249. iv. DANIEL H. GASTON b. Jun-27-1816.
250. v. ELI MORRIS GASTON b. Aug- 3-1822.
vi. WILLIAM GASTON
vii. GRANVILLE GASTON